Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on disk config on EX38-DS4

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Advice on disk config on EX38-DS4

About your GFX Card temps, I don't trust speedfan for much of anything. Can you check the cards temps with GPU-z >>>
    GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

About your IDE (Actual IDE) drive, you can move the jumper on it to master, and then put the drive itself on the end of the IDE cable. That is the correct placement for a Master drive, so if you had the jumper on slave but the drive on the end of the cable this could cause issues/errors and may be why you noticed a few random ones. It would then also show up as master, normally (Gigabyte BIOS word things funky sometimes so maybe not)

For your SATA Drives, on the Intel Controller of course, you would want your OS drive on SATAII 0 (First Physical port), then any storage SATA drives on the next few after that. You want to place your DVD SATA Drive on the last or second to last port on the same controller (SATAII 4 or SATAII 5 - Last Two Physical ports)

Yes, I agree!! This forum has gotten MUCH Busier the past few months!! Sorry, I have been backed up lately and I start at the back of new replies each night and try to make my way to the front.

Do keep in mind, you only see the Problems (Or users settings issues/help desired with overclock) posted here, not the 1000's of Perfectly working Gigabyte boards. Gigabyte makes superb products, of course all brands have their issues, but this forum section is the only English support forum so you see tons of posts here due to that

Please post for me your full specs, and a link to your ram or model # and I can help.

Give me your full settings you are using and I will advise back >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Thanks Lsdmeapsap, much appreciated. GPU-Z shows same temp on 7300LE as Speedfan does, both are showing 80* at idle. I have taken out the 7600GT, as that is the card that was spiking to 120*+, why it was doing that I don't know. I guess it is probably faulty.

I will see if I can set up that IDE drive as a master and hopefully that will eliminate one source of possible problems.

I have the Raptor (system drive) on Sata0 but my DVD is on Sata1. From memory when I first set this up I think I was getting advice to do it that way. So atm I have my 250GB data drive on Sata2. Why do you suggest putting the DVD on the last Sata port? Remember all drives are now running as "IDE", even though 2 of the drives are SATA. According to
    the config as shown during startup, the Raptor is on Channel 0 as master, 250GB Seagate SATA is on Channel 0 as slave, the DVD is on Channel 1 as master and the 80GB IDE drive is on Channel 4 (currently as a slave).

I have been running some stress tests on PCIebus using ntune as I thought maybe there is a problem with the PCIe slots, rather then the card, do you think that might be a possibility. Still going with that, haven't found anything so far.

Maybe problems are something to do with running 2 nvidia cards on a crossfire board, but it was stable for 9 months remember. I will probably buy a couple of new gfx cards once I have determined the source of this problem. I'm thinking of a pair of "MSI ATI R4670 512M DDR3 Dual DVI Dual Link DVI" cards. What do you think about these cards on this EX38-DS4 board? I must have dual DVI as I run 3x24" monitors and card must be the shorter type cards because of space problems with one of the PCIe slots. What are your thoughts on a faulty gfx card (or perhaps PCIe slot) causing the problems I am having? It seems to point that way, but I'm not yet convinced because:

(a) I ran Prime95 for 6 hours with no errors and that suspect card was in the machine at the time. I know Prime95 does not stress gfx cards, but that's not the point, the card was still in the machine.
    (b) I contiuned to have problems after I took that suspect card out, albeit lesser frequency of problems. I'm guessing the continual reboots (as windows is loading) may be causing these further problems without the suspect card installed.

Note that for past 9 months I have been running the Crucial PC8500 Ballistix tracers (2x1GB) at 1066 (memory multiplier of 2.66D). Since I re-installed XP I'm running it at 800 (memory multiplier of 2.00D). Actually during the continuous reboot the board reset it to 2.00D and I just left it there, I thought not a bad idea to do initial testing with memory running slower then rated. I don't believe the board reset anything else during reboot cycles, so the only other changes to the BIOS is the disk reconfig, I'm no longer using RAID drivers, (I didn't have RAID setup, was just using the RAID drivers to get full functionality out of the SATA drives, which is not much apparently)

Here are my settings (F2 bios): (I have Xeon 3110 processor by the way)

Robust Graphics Booster [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio [9]
    Fine Clock Ratio [Don't have this]
    CPU Host Clock Control [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz) [400]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) [Auto]
    C.I.A. 2 [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [2.00D]
    DRAM Timing Selectable [Manual]
    Performance Enhance [Standard]
    CAS Latency Time [5]
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay [5]
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay [5]
    Precharge Delay (tRAS) [15]
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) [Auto]
    Rank Write to READ Delay [Auto]
    Write to Precharge Delay [Auto]
    Refresh to ACT Delay [Auto]
    Read to Precharge Delay [Auto]
    Static tRead Value [Auto]
    Static tRead Phase Adjust [Auto]
    CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control[800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [Normal]
    System Voltage Control [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control [+0.35V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control [Normal]
    FSB OverVoltage Control [Normal]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal]
    CPU Voltage Contro [1.20]
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): [Enabled]
    C2/C2E State Support: [Don't have this]
    x C4/C4E State Support [Don't have this]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2): [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology: [Enabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC
    Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect [Enabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Ya well then I would have done the same 80C idle means the fan is not working or you need to redo the paste on it maybe? If you do and it is still the same you should RMA it as that is for sure not normal as you know

I suggest the DVD on the latter ports because that is the way the ICH9 Chipset prefers things I think. Sure it will work anywhere but it would be best on the latter two.

Your drives would all be fine, of course windows will think it is new hardware when you move them around and install drivers again but they will be all fine. And yes, you can of course leave things, I was just trying to help you eliminate possible issues

About your PCI bus question, I dont think that is anything that is causing issues here. is all ok now with a different GFX Card? Well I mean better I guess.

If you know one card is good, but think you may have a bad slot try putting the good card in the other slot and see if things are any better. But I think slots either work or not, I dont think they would partially work.

Since this is a Crossfire board, and you wondered what you did. Why do you not just buy one dual DVI ATI based card and then have only one Nvidia card?

YA AHCI Drivers (iaAHCI.inf) would only enable AHCI, you had to of used those not RAID drivers (iaStor.inf) as the RAID ones would not install unless a RAID was setup. They are both in the same package though so that may be why you thought you had used the RAID Driver. And yep AHCI is a waste really if you do not need hotswap

Depending on how it boot cycles, yes more then just that may be changed back to default. If you see a warning in the MIT Still when you go into it then settings you see may not be applied, but defaults would be

I see from your "Dont have this comment" on Fine clock ratio you have not either updated your BIOS to the latest, or have not loaded and applied optimized defaults properly, ever, or after your last flash. This is a must for all new BIOS flashes, system builds, or hardware changes because many hidden settings get set per your systems hardware.

I use a few E3110's myself in my P35 and P45 setups so I know it does have a fine clock ratio.

Did you not load optimized after you last flashed and save and apply and reboot back tot the BIOS to make changes. If you did, then are you maybe using a old BIOS? If you are using the latest and did apply optimized before, then I think you need to do it again maybe due to your resets and boot cycles your BIOS has recovered a old BIOS or reset things and you did not reload optimized.

It is in your BIOS see image, I just checked (BIOS Version F5, F6a is the latest Beta) >>

GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EX38-DS4

As for your settings, I still need a link to your ram or the model # to best advise.

For now, I would advise this for what you are using until you get me a link to your ram, but not likely much would change after that I just wanted to check if you have the 2.2V sticks or the 2.0V ones >>>

Robust Graphics Booster [Auto or fast]
    CPU Clock Ratio [9]
    Fine Clock Ratio [Don't have this] Set to 0.0 once you see this
    CPU Host Clock Control [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz) [400] << use 401 or 399
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) [Auto] << OUCH Set to 100
    C.I.A. 2 [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [2.00D] << You can also run 2.00B likely, or bump back up to 2.66D

DRAM Timing Selectable [Manual]
    Performance Enhance [Standard]
    CAS Latency Time [5]
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay [5]
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay [5]
    Precharge Delay (tRAS) [15]

Set all below to highest values, then lower later one at a time testing as you go

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) [3-4]
    Rank Write to READ Delay [3-6] (use 9-11 first, then move to lower range)
    Write to Precharge Delay [4-6] (use 11-14 first, then move to lower range)
    Refresh to ACT Delay [42-48]
    Read to Precharge Delay [3-5]
    Static tRead Value [6/7-10]
    Static tRead Phase Adjust [Auto] << Always Auto

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control[800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control [+0.35V] << if you have 2.2V sticks, that is not often needed I would advise what you have or +0.3. Check in PC Health section or With Everest and see what .35 is actually giving you though to be sure it is not more them you think

PCI-E OverVoltage Control [Normal]
    FSB OverVoltage Control [Normal] << +0.1 For stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal] << +0.1 For stability
    CPU Voltage Contro [1.20] << This may need to be more, but only your CPU and you can decide of course

Limit CPUID Max. to 3: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): [Enabled] << Disabled
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2): [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology: [Enabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC << Disable if you do not use those programs

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect [Enabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB << Disable for now to rule this out as a issue, this often causes many strange issues

Yeah I currently have what I think is the good card (7300LE) in the PCIe slot where the suspect card (7600GT) was, so will see how that goes. I agree 80* is a bit hot at idle, it has always been that temp at idle in this build. 7300LE does not have a fan, just a heatsink. I could redo the paste but just wondering if it's worth it. It looks like the 7600GT is bad (I hope so) so in that case I will definitely buy 2 new cards. I'm not prepared to mix&match gfx cards, I want to avoid problems whereever I can, so I certainly wouldn't mix ATI with nividia on this board. What did you think of the ATI card I mentioned in previous post for this ex38-ds4 board.

I thought it was interesting that the 250GB drive on sata2 ends up being the slave on channel 0, while the DVD on sata1 ends up being a master on Channel 1. As raptor is on sata0 and DVD is on sata1 then I thought they would end up being master/slave on channel 0, with 250GB drive as master on Channel 1. Sorry, I don't mean to confuse the issue, just thought it was interesting.

I'm running F2 bios which is what the board came with. My objective with this build was to get a fast stable system, just a little bit of processor overclock. I have a policy not to upgarde BIOS unless I absolutley have too. This is mission critical machine for me so I'm bleading right now. I have backup machine ofcourse, but it's never really the same as the real thing is it.

I'm not clear on what you said about loading optimised defaults, you're right I have never done it as I have never updated bios. Well, maybe I loaded optimised defaults during build process 9 months ago, can't remember. Maybe this is the cause of all my problems, haha...... Doesn't loading optimised defaults get rid of all the settings you just made?

My ram is Crucial Ballistix Traver PC8500 BL12864AL1065.8FE5, it is 2.2v. That ram seems to no longer appear on Crucial web site, they have similar at 2.0v now (maybe they learned something). But this is a link to the ram I have, just to confirm: https://www.acsoutlet.com/BL12864AL1065-Standard.aspx

Ahh, well with no fan I am not so sure what a normal Idle/load temp would be, but no matter that sounds very hot to me!!

Do you have any $$? If so you could just pick you up a 3450/3650 or 3850 or 46xx or something along those $35-60 range on the Nvidia side of things? Just a thought, to get you a decent up to date cheap card, that would have a cooling fan

Ya I think a set of 4670's would be fine for this board

I hear you about the BIOS, and you may just need to give in now and see if it helps, if not I would anyway before you get a new GFX Card/cards. Up to F5 now, F6a Beta. So if you give in, dont worry man.. Use my guide and flash with Qflash and you will be fine

Yes, all settings would be cleared. So you would want to write down your settings from the Standard CMOS page, Integrated Peripherals page, your settings inside "Hard Disk Boot Priority" in the Advanced BIOS page and the MIT page and then load optimized, save and apply, reboot BACK to the BIOS and set all things again in integrated Peripherals BIOS page, and save and apply again and reboot BACK to the BIOS and then set all the rest again to what you had before.

Of course some MIT settings may not be stable or need more/less of something, main thing is to get your disk settings all the same again BEFORE you load windows and you will be fine

Yes, they have pulled the 2.2V sticks due to to many RMA's from DOA sets and incompatibilities. You can RMA with them if you like, saying you have had issues with them for a while and would like the 2.0V sticks

I would run them at 2.1-2.15, 2.2 is not needed, just what is allowed under warranty

Just a quick question. What's the reason behind setting CPU Host Frequency to 399 or 401, rather then 400 which is what I have it set too.

And another quick question on drive config before I reintsall again. I've pretty much decided to go with PATA mode (no RAID or AHCI drivers required). Will this take away the ability to use esata. And if esata will still work, will the esata drives be able to be plugged in/unplugged without having to reboot.

I suggest 399 or 401 because 400 is right on the NB Strap line, and can cause issues. Not always, but can sometimes.

Yes, you will need AHCI enabled to hot swap as you are asking about. But if this is a external case eSATA you can easily just disable the device/disk in device manager and then you can safely turn if off/remove it. Same as "Safely remove hardware" No reboot would be needed

Many thanks Lsdmeasap. I've just completed 3.5 hours of memtest86+ on those crucials running at 1066, all fine. I lowered the voltage to 2.1 or thereabouts, so that should keep them a little cooler. I also have a fan on them too (had that fom the beginning). I'm seriously considering taking your advice and trying to get them replaced with the 2.0v ones. It will be 12 months in a few weeks since I bought them.

And I've thrown out that 7600GT card too. If this setup proves stable now (pretty much proving it was the video card causing my problems) then I'll be investing in a couple of those ATI R4670s in a week or so.

No need for you to worry though, I'll be back if the problem is NOT solved.

Well, after exactly one month of rock solid stability since the problems outlined in this post one month ago, my PC has started the reboot cycle again. I wasn't actually on the PC at the time but when I got back to it it was sitting at the "Start windows normally screen". From there on it would just reboot straight after the Windows splash screen. Turned it off, then back on and it loaded Windows OK, no entries in event logs, no memory dumps, nothing indicating what the problem might be. From the next cold start I get checking drive C: for errors/recovering orhpaned files etc and from then on it just continually reboots after the Windows splash screen. I can no longer get into Windows.

As outlined earlier in this thread I thought the problem was a faulty gfx card, so one month ago I replaced both gfx cards with a pair of MSI ATI R4670s. Has been great and absolutely no probems for the past month.

Ran memtest straight away, only one full pass initially, but no problems. All my BIOS settings appear intact. No changes have been made to the BIOS over this past month.

I've been using Seagate discwizard for backing up partitions. The machine boots OK from the Seagate rescue disk and loads the Diskwizard s/w OK. So why can it boot into Linux OK and not Windows? I don't know what's causing the reboot cycle after one month of perfect stability but is the reboot cycle corrupting my system drive, and that's why Windows won't boot now?

I'm really at a loss as to where to go from here, but once again, any help would be much appreciated. Looks like I'm one of the unlucky ones. Could this be a motherboard problem, or could there be a simple solution to this situation where I'm stable for weeks and then starts the reboot cycle for no apparrent reason.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information