Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on disk config on EX38-DS4

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Advice on disk config on EX38-DS4

I would run some Diagnostics on your drives, and run a longer memory test (4/5-10 Full passes of Memtest86+). Here is Seagate Seatools Diagnostic programs >>>
    SeaTools Desktop Usage Instructions | Seagate

Chkdsk ran due to corrupted files on your hard drive, that could be due to incorrect overclock settings/voltages or a faulty drive

My system drive is a WD Raptor. I restored the entire partition, including OS (from Seagate Discwizard backup) and can now boot into windows OK. Used it for an hour or so and all seems OK. I ran WDs Data Lifegauard Diagnostics under DOS, both Quick Test and Extended Test, no errors on either test. This is my first ever WD drive, always used Seagate and Maxtor in the past. The Raptor is very noisy compared to what I'm used to, runs a bit hotter too, but this is all normal I believe. When I ran the Quick Test, seriously, this drive sounded like a jet engine that was about to take off, seemd to be a fair bit of vibration too. Didn't sound like that during the Extended Test. Is this normal?

I've heard of people running SeaTools on WD drives, would you recommend this? The other 2 drives in this build are Seagates and I tested both drives using SeaTools last month.

I will test the memory again, but one month ago I ran memtest for 3.5 hours without any errors, can't remember how many passes that was, but quite a lot.

So it would appear that something is causing the machine to reboot and when that happens the system drive gets corrupted, and once corrupted the machine just keeps rebooting just after it loads the Windows splash screen. My drives appear to be OK. My memory appears OK, I have new gfx cards. Nothing shows up in event logs about driver problems or whatever. Earlier in this post we have been through overclock settings/voltages etc.

There is one or two things I have not done. I have not upgraded to the latest BIOS and I have not tweaked MCH and FSB voltages. I will do both, but weeks of stability suggests to me that neither of these is the root cause of the problem, but who knows.

To me it looks like I have some kind of intermittent error that happens under certain conditions and I cannot pinpoint the error using any diagnostic type tools. I even thought I may have a short somehere that only comes into play when the machine reaches a certain temperature. Is there any diagnostoc tools I can run on the motherboard?

I do have that bodgy crucial memory (8500 tracers) if you remember (rated at 2.2v). But this memory has always tested out OK. I have RMAd it though and am waiting on the new 2.0v sticks.

I am not sure what is normal for a raptor, but ya I would expect extended test to be louder then a short one as well?

I am not sure if you can run Seagate tools on a WD drive, I think it would be fine if it will allow it to run. If not it will just tell you unsupported disk is all.

I would update your BIOS, or if you want to put that off then at least you DO NEED to set your settings (Voltages, ect) as that may be the main cause of your issue. I am surprised you have not done so yet, memory corruption due to incorrect settings can do MANY things, one of which is corrupt your drive data and cause Various problems

I would do that with your old or new Crucial's either way it is a must

OK, I have updated my BIOS to the latest version F5. As usual, one problem leads to another. I have no floppy drive so updated via a USB stick. With the first stick I tried (formatted to FAT32 and with "Legacy USB Storage Detect" enabled) the machine would not even post, weird. With the second stick I tried, also fomatted at FAT32, Q-Flash wouldn't recognise it. I got Q-Flash to recognise this second stick by formatting it to FAT16, weird again.

Have also bumped up both FSB and MCH voltage by 0.1. The only bits I haven't done from your recommendations now are the Advanced Timing Controls, tRRD etc. etc. I have these all set to Auto but each of the values used are all within the ranges that you specified, except for the "Refresh to ACT Delay", mine is 52, the range you specified is 42-48. Is this significant? Remember that after much memtesting and Prime95ing, I was 100% stable for 4 weeks with the timings I have set, and before that 100% stable for 9 months.

Once again, thanks for your help. Lets hope I am long term stable with these changes.

What you see on the left in the BIOS is not always what is used, just what may be in use in the BIOS or what has been used in the past. You would need to check with Memset to see what values are actually being used, it is linked here >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/memo...vs-bios-27283/

Do you have 4GB of ram or just two? If you have only 2GB you would only need 42 or so tRFC (Refresh to Act Delay)

Ya, some USB Sticks are just funky when it comes to Qflash. Nice to see you took the iniative and formatted to FAT16. It should work with any USB Stick on FAT32 if it is going to work. I'll have to keep that in mind to try FAT12/16 for ones that seem to be incompatible, thanks for posting your findings with that

I only have 2GB of ram, 2.2v crucial 8500 tracers that will be replaced with the newer 2.0v sticks soon. (I'm running them at 2.1v by the way). I tried running memset but it just said "Not for this chipset"

Errrr....., no, I downloaded memset. It runs fine on my old Dell Dimension 5100. I did a bit of research on that memset error but it didn't lead anywhere, one suggestion was to re-install the chipset drivers, yeah right....

I got memset to run. Sometimes with programs that do not require actual installation I run from a network share, which is what I was doing with memset, I know, probably not a good policy.

Thanks for that link to memory timings, very informative. The actual values as shown by memset are quite different to those shown on the left hand side in the BIOS. It would appear the actual values are very conservative (increased stability at the expense of performance). Some examples:

Static tREAD: 9
    Refresh to ACT Delay: 68
    Write to Read Delay: 12
    Write to Precharge Delay: 16

I'm more interested in stability right now. Would you stick with these values? Would it be best to set these values in the BIOS rather then leaving them at AUTO, I know how you stongly recommend not to use AUTO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information