Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-UD3P, E7200, Ballistix 2x2GB -Need help getting higher mem/FSB

Default EP45-UD3P, E7200, Ballistix 2x2GB -Need help getting higher mem/FSB

EP45-UD3P (F9b)
    E7200 413x8 = 3304Mhz @ stock 1.1625v
    2x2GB Ballistix DDR2-800 2.0v running at 5-5-5-15 826Mhz (2.00B, Turbo) - stable at 1.8v

I'm having trouble getting higher memory speed out of my 2x2GB Ballistix 2.0v. I can get 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15 @2.0v easily with these Ballistix on a cheap G31 board, so I think it's just in my UD3P BIOS settings. I can bump up the multiplier to 2.40B if I change from Turbo->Standard, but according to Everest's memory benchmark, any gain from the higher Mhz is lost with going from Turbo->Standard. If I try a higher multiplier, I can't run 5-5-5-15 @2.0v. I've tried MCH @ 1.05v (which worked for some people) as well as 1.2-1.4v

I also have issues with higher FSBs when I lower my CPU multiplier. For example, it'll run at 440x7.5=3.3GHz, but once I reboot, the system will power-cycle. Sometimes, it power-cycles a few times and all my BIOS settings are reset.

Code:
    ******Gigabyte EP45 UD3P (F9b)******

E7200 413x8 = 3304Mhz

Robust Graphics Booster.........................[ Auto ] 
    CPU Clock Ratio.................................[ 8 ] 
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio............................[ 0 ] 
    CPU Frequency 3.3GHz...........................[ 413 x 8 ]

******Clock Chip Control******

CPU Host Clock Control..........................[ Enabled ] 
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)........................[ 413 ] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz).....................[ 100 ] 
    C.I.A 2 ........................................[Disabled] 

******Advanced Clock Control******

CPU Clock Drive.................................[ 800mv ] 
    PCI Express Clock Drive.........................[ 900mv ] 
    CPU Clock Skew..................................[ 0ps      ]
    MCH Clock Skew..................................[ 0ps     ]

******DRAM Performance Control******

Performance Enhance [Turbo] (Standard when using 2.40B) 
    Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)....................[ Disabled ] 
    (G) MCH Frequency Latch.........................[ Auto ] 
    System Memory Multipler.........................[ 2.00B    ] 
    Memory Frequency................................[ 826     ] 
    DRAM Timing Selectable..........................[ Manual   ] 

CAS Latency Time................................[ 5        ] 
    tRCD............................................[ 5        ] 
    tRP.............................................[ 5        ] 
    tRAS............................................[ 15       ] 

******Motherboard Voltage Control******

Load-Line Calibration [Disabled] 
    CPU Vcore         [ 1.16250 ]...................[ Normal ] 
    CPU Termination   [ 1.20    ]...................[ 1.10v  ] Have also used 1.20v
    CPU PLL           [ 1.50    ]...................[ Normal   ]
    CPU Reference     [ 0.760   ]...................[ auto ] 

MCH Core          [1.1      ]...................[ Auto   ] Auto is 1.2v  
    MCH Reference     [0.760    ]...................[ auto ]  
    MCH/DRAM Refernce [0.900    ]...................[ auto ]
    ICH I/O           [1.500    ]...................[ auto   ] 
    ICH Core          [1.100    ]...................[ auto   ] 

DRAM Voltage      [1.800    ]...................[ 2.000    ] 
    DRAM Termination  [0.900    ]...................[ Auto   ]
    Channel A Ref     [0.900    ]...................[ Auto   ]
    Channel B Ref     [0.900    ]...................[ Auto   ]
    If I missed mentioning any setting, it's at Auto.

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: EP45-UD3P, E7200, Ballistix 2x2GB -Need help getting higher mem/FSB

There are 7200 users with the ud3 who have posted in the last couple of days Rob.E ,I think is one not sure who else.
    Lsd will probably get back to you also.
    In the meantime on the memory alone,my ga 73.(cheap also) didnt/doesnt have memory voltage drop,but couldnt turn up the voltage anyway.
    This board does,.02-0.04 for me under load.
    It could be a kind of built in safety feature,but its something to consider.
    For me at least if I enter 2,0v ,Im not going to get that on the ram,it would be more like 1.97-1.98.
    I run 2.2v(in bios).under load it stays arounf 2.16,maybe jumps to 2.18.

You could try 2.04 or so and see if that helps,should be safe enough.

Thats just one thing tho maybe the mem needs 2.1 even .
    I run mine 2.2 and there is no voltage specified for it above 1.9.

If the machine is working okish,and you have decent cooling ,I work on the "Im good on the max voltages principle to see what boots up ok" and then i adjust other items,
    For me thats 1.45v cpu(from intel spec sheet).1.45-1.5 mch. and 2.34 v memory.
    lsdme wouldnt put it like that Im sure cos of "wth you told me to try this v"
    That isnt all there is too it of course,but maybe some moderate tweaking on the voltages would help while you wait.
    The turbo setting tightens up the memory timings a lot,thats all it affects as far as I know,but for me it isnt a limiting factor as long as I have enough volts. I hit a limit at pure memory speed.
    "Enhanced" is a problem tho,I dont get any action with that.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You need so use standard, and set your own Static tRead Values, then you will see the same or better benchmark results. That is all the performance enhance changes, Static tRead Value, and often adds Dram voltage.

So try setting everything yourself, with performance enhance on standard, and you will have much better luck.

I do think you should be adding more vcore as well. And I have to advise you, you MUST set your own Vtt (Termination) and PLL Voltages when overclocking or you will fry your CPU, Auto uses way to much. I see you have set Vtt, I think you need more Vtt, More vcore, and maybe even more MCH Core voltage. But please do start doing things with Perf. Enh. on standard, I can help you get much better scores in benchmarks by setting all your memory timings instead of using Auto.

I just did a Review on these Crucial Ballistix 2.0V kits, and had no issues running them at Various Frequencies. I have posted several sets of full set of voltage settings and memory timings for these sticks at various FSB's in my review, so please have a look >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f58/cruc...-review-30086/

If you need more help, I can help of course, but you will have to try my suggestions and not go with what you have been trying. I can get you there for sure, with much better scores

Lsdmeasap,

I'm stable at 413x8 with 2x2GB Ballistix at 2.00B/Turbo/1.8v/5-5-5-15/Auto for everything else. No S3 resume problems, no power cycle on reboot. Before even messing with the FSB or CPU speed, I'd like to get to 2.40B stable. So i followed your excellent Ballistix guide and used your memory settings for 2x2GB/2.40B/417FSB. I can boot into Windows fine and run Everest memory benchmark, but it powercycles on reboot every single time...sometimes restoring my BIOS settings to default.

Here are my settings. What should I do next?
    Code:
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8x
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.30

Clock Chip Control 
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 413Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: 100
    C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.40B
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 991Mhz
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]
    Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................ 5
    tRCD ......................................... 5
    tRP'........................................... 5
    tRAS.......................................... 15

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD........................................... 3
    tWTR.......................................... 3-4 <-I set to 4
    tWR............................................ 5-6 <-I set to 6
    tRFC........................................... 50-54 <-I set to 54
    tRTP........................................... 3
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2
    Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................ 1066
    Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:7/8-9 <-I set to 9
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:7/8-9 <- I set to 9
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................: 1.1625
    CPU Termination…..... 1.100V
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V
    CPU Referen.…………....Auto
    CPU Reference2………..Auto
    MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.2-1.26 <-Tried them all
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; Auto
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: Auto
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< 1.5-1.55 <-Used 1.55
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< 1.14-1.2 <- Used 1.2 (goes from 1.1 to 1.2...no intermediate steps)
    DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.0V (also tried 2.04v)
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: Auto
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: Auto
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: Auto
    Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC
    Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled]

As long as you have reasonable airflow thru your case/a fan blowing on the memory,
    I would suggest putting your memory up to 2.1v and leave it there(while you are trying to get memory speeds in excess of 800mhz)
    While its actually running it may drop as low as 2.06v especially under test.
    Its performance memory,it wont blow up(Im not a guarantee guy).
    Leaving it at 2.1 should hopefully remove the memory from the equation.All you would have to worry about is the cpu and mch voltage pll/vtt etc.

The difference between standard and turbo is really only 4/5 memory timings and you can set those yourself manually.

I found static read of 9 was good up to 470 mhz or so.. after that needed 10(on my memory,(1:1).
    My memory btw wont boot into windows above 510-515 fsb..well ok it did work at 1066 on a multiplier using like 2.3 voltage.
    I mean it entered windows.. thats about it.
    Yours should be good for 1066 np ,for the cpu voltage and mch voltage you will have to experiment a little,as lsd was saying.
    Remember his p45 tests were done on a xeon ,i think?
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

E7200 413x8
    2x2GB Ballistix, 2.40B (991Mhz)

It appears to be the static tRead value that's holding me back. If I set static tRead value to 10, I can use the fastest timings for everything else as suggested by Lsdmeasap in his 2x2GB Ballistix guide. And can even back memory voltage down to 1.8v and MCH voltage down to 1.2v with full stability. But once I change static tRead value to 9, I get power-cycles upon reboot with memory voltage as high as 2.1v, MCH voltage as high as 1.34v, and all other timings loosened to the slow range as suggested by Lsdmeasap in his 2x2GB Ballistix guide.

Performance isn't that good with a static tRead value of 10 though. It's not much better than when I ran 2.00B/826Mhz 5-5-5-15 Turbo (the Write and Copy benchmarks numbers in Everest actually decreased). How should I go about changing the other settings so I can use a lower static tRead and get better memory performance?
    Last edited by davidh44; 03-29-2009 at 11:12 AM.

The turbo/standard thing is just memory timings you can adjust yourself manually if you wish.static read,tRFC,tWTR etc use memset to see how the memory timing changes between standard and turbo.
    You may need to use a combination of the 2 settings.
    U still have the cpu core v at 1.16 ,is there not a higher safe range you can try? is the cpu getting v hot?
    I dont know much about the cpu and its voltages,what do E7200 normally clock to and with what fsb?.
    Also I found driving strength setting other than auto didnt do me much good,then again its different memory.
    Current Systems:

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

You didn't list the part # for your memory or a link to it's specs.
    Is your memory rated at 4-4-4-12 @ 800 MHz?
    If yes, you can probably use these tighter settings up to 850 - 875 MHz. 4-4-4-12 will outperform 5-5-5-15 at the same memory speed.

My older 2.2 volt 2x1GB ballistix could use 4-4-4-10 timings up to 925 MHz, but only 875 MHz when using 4 ballistix modules (3GB total), where I had 2x1 GB plus 2x512 MB. All four modules are ballistix DDR2-800. This has been the setup I've used in my backup computer for over a year: P35-DS3L with an e2140 (1.6GHz), o/c'd 75% to 2.8GHz; cpu = 350 MHz, mem = 875 MHz, using the 2.5x memory multiplier.

Static tRead Value = 9 seems too high. My UD3P is stable using: cpu = 459 MHz, memory = 1101 MHz, with the 2.40B strap, and tRD = 8.

I suggest trying:
    CPU = 425 MHz
    MEM = 850 MHz, @ 4-4-4-12, 2.00B strap (if desperate, try 2.00D)
    Static tRead Value = 8

Start with the lowest cpu multiplier, run stability tests, and then gradually increase the cpu multiplier until your system is unstable.

If the tRFC value is set too tight, you'll have stability and/or reboot issues.

Definitely DO NOT use Performance Enhance = Turbo while you're tweaking.

Is there something that I've missed or overlooked?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thread Information