Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get GA-EP45-DS3L board to run with two 2gb dimms (memtest causes reboot)

Default Can't get GA-EP45-DS3L board to run with two 2gb dimms (memtest causes reboot)

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS3L rev 1.0
    CPU: Intel Q8200 Core2Quad CPU (2.33 ghz fsb) SLB5M

Memory tried:

- OCZ 2F10664GK (PC8500) Fatality Edition 4gb kit
    - Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C7 G (composed of 2 dimms: CM2X2048-8500C7)
    http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets [...] 8500C7.pdf

Both are kits of 2 dimms, 2 gb per dim, 4 gb total

Test situation: Motherboard installed in a desktop case, no hard drive, no CD rom. Generic video card plugged into PCI slot. Floppy drive connected to motherboard. memtest86 (v 3.5, single core version) booted and run from floppy drive.

Memory is tested (first, all dimm's installed individually, one at a time). All dimms pass (pass = memtest86 runs for several minutes, for as long as I care to let it run).

Next, memory is installed in pairs (single channel mode, dual channel mode). 2 dimms max. Dimms are not mixed.

System fails test when both dimms are installed. memtest fails at exactly the same point - early during the first pass. System reboots itself.

Have tried both 800 and 1066 mhz ram speed. Have raised ram voltage to 2.2v (for OCZ) and 2.0v for Corsair. Have set the timing to both auto/spd and manual (according to ram documentation).

I called OCZ and confirmed that this ram has not been QVL'd on this board. In addition, the OCZ tech said that he's read that gigabyte mobo's have a lot of problems running 4 gig kits (2 x 2mb).

I tried a bunch of different timing settings and ran the voltage up to 2.20 v (That number 2.20v is stamped on the sticker on this memory, the OCZ tech says he's not seeing that on his screen). OCZ phone is 800-459-1816.

I tried a 2gb kit (2 x 1gb) Kingston (KHX6400D2LLK2/2G) and was able to clock them to 800 mhz no problem.

I tried calling gigabyte, but after 15 minutes on hold I hung up. Phone (626) 854-9338.

I called Kingston and asked what they have for QVL on that board (4gb kit). They said:

KVR1066D2N7K2/4G

But they said they stopped making them July 2008. They say that you are not going to see much DDR2-1066 anymore because everyone is focusing on DDR3 at that speed and faster.

Called Corsair (510) 657 8747. They suggested Q2x8G6400C4DHX (8 gb kit). I want to run 8 gb on this board.

Gigabyte memory support list for this board is useless. Hardly any listings for 2gb dimms.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileLis [...] 5-ds3l.pdf

I have a package of Kingston KHX8500D2K2/4G that I haven't yet opened (unless I open it carefully I won't be able to return it).

Bottom line (so far) - impossible to get two 2gb dimms to run in this motherboard. I bought 3 of these boards, two of them to run XP-pro 64-bit with 8gb each.

When I have a working set of ram (single dimm 1gb, two dimms 1 gb, single dimm 2gb) the multi-core version of memtest86 locks up the minute it starts. Single core version of memtest86 works fine. Is this a separate issue, or is it related to current memory situation?

This seems to have been a well-reviewed motherboard back last summer. I can't believe that nobody here has experience running it with 2gb dimms (4gb total) or even up to 8gb total. ???

If anyone has, I want to know what ram was used, and what bios settings.
    PS: Asus does (or did) have forums on their web for each of their motherboards. Does Gigabyte's website host any forums in a similar manner?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Can't get GA-EP45-DS3L board to run with two 2gb dimms (memtest causes reboot)

First I must say that memtest is a bit old, and not suggested. I would suggest you use Memtest86+, here is the latest Version 2.11 >>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

And I would advise you test each stick at stock specs, manually set voltages and timings, and performance enhance on standard, for at least 5 full passes. A few minutes will not tell you anything

This is the only English Gigabyte forum that I am aware of.

Being that you have several boards I would say you likely do not have all of them faulty, so you should have no issues running 4GB+ in them. You just need the correct settings, and it sounds like you may have not set some or may have not tried others.

I need to know what CPU you are using, and then which Dimms you are using right now and I will advise for 4GB.

Some general 4GB tips would be put performance enhance on standard, set ram voltage to 2.0-2.1 (2.2v not often needed, only what is warranted), be sure (What you see for Auto may not be used, so manually set) tRFC to 54-62 starting with the higher value, set tRD (Static tRead Value) manually to a higher setting such as 9-10 for now.

MCH Core voltage is often needed, but how much depends on several things. In general 1.2-1.3 may be needed for 4GB depending on FSB, tRD (Static tRead Value), MCH Strap/Memory Multi in use, and all other voltages (Vtt, Dram Voltage) and timings. I would test out 1.24-1.26, and if those both fail try 1.05 (less than default). I can better advise once you give me the specs of these systems and which ram you want to use

Default Re: Can't get GA-EP45-DS3L board to run with two 2gb dimms (memtest causes reboot)

> First I must say that memtest is a bit old, and not suggested.
    > I would suggest you use Memtest86+, here is the latest
    > Version 2.11

I said in my post that I was using memtest86, version 3.5. Are you saying that version 2.11 is somehow better or preferred over 3.5?

> And I would advise you test each stick at stock specs,
    > manually set voltages and timings, and performance enhance
    > on standard, for at least 5 full passes. A few minutes will not
    > tell you anything

I said that memtest86 v3.5 was able to run for a few minutes when each dimm stick was installed individually (one at a time) but it WAS NOT ABLE TO RUN FOR MORE THAN A FEW SECONDS when 2 sticks of 2gb each were installed.

AND I DID SET THE MEMORY SETTINGS TO THE STOCK SPECS AND VOLTAGE as well as back them off to slower specs (ie tried them at 1066 mhz and 800 mhz). The stock setting was 800 mhz.

> This is the only English Gigabyte forum that I am aware of.

I'm also posting to the gigabyte forum on tomshardware.com, as well as the gigabyte usenet newsgroup. I'm very surprised that gigabyte does not have it's own user forums on it's website.

> Being that you have several boards I would say you likely do
    > not have all of them faulty, so you should have no issues
    > running 4GB+ in them. You just need the correct settings,
    > and it sounds like you may have not set some or may have
    > not tried others.

Please explain why a single 2gb stick works, but two sticks don't work. And as I've said, I've tried many different timing combinations and voltages. The board came with F9 bios version, which I also updated to the latest F10 but it changed nothing.

The reviews of this board on newegg also have many postings where people claim this board has problems with memory.

I will most likely return these boards, because experience with multiple Asus boards have taught me that when you start having to pick and choose a working board from among several of the same model, then there is something wrong with that model and eventually the one you choose will also become problematic.

> I need to know what CPU you are using, and then which Dimms
    > you are using right now and I will advise for 4GB.

???

Please re-read my post. I mentioned all of that. I'm starting to think you really didn't read my post.

I see now that there are two different "streams" of memtest:

Memtest86 - Download Page
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

I've been running version 3.5 from the first website.

Which one is preferred?

Ok, I think I know what's happening.

There are 2 versions of memtest.

One is called memtest86:

Memtest86 - Download Page (latest version 3.5)

And the other is called memtest86+ (plus):

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool (latest version 2.11)

I've confirmed that on this gigabyte board (with quad-core) and an Asus board (with core2 dual core), that the 3.5 version of memtest causes both systems to spontaneously reboot early during the first test pass if there are 4 gb of memory installed (4 banks of 1 gb dimms, or 2 banks of 2gb dimms). However, if both systems have 3 gb installed (2 banks of 1 gb, 2 banks of 512 mb) memtest 3.5 runs fine on both.

The other memtest (version 2.11) works ok on both systems with 4 gb.

The only other odd thing is that there is a multi-core version of memtest 3.5. It does not run on this gigabyte EP45-DS3L (with quad-core cpu) regardless of the amount of installed memory.

I'm surprised that this bug in memtest 3.5 isin't more widely known.

THANK YOU!!!!!

This was driving me NUTS! I've swapped out my memory countless times, runs fine with 1 stick, reboots with 2.

I'm now running memtest 2.11 ans it's up to 68% complete on it's 1st pass with no errors!

Sorry for the late reply back.

Ya that is a old program and no longer supported and not many use it, that is why you may be having issues and why Memtest86+ 2.11 is suggested.

I would go ahead and run 5-10 passes or overnight when you have time if you think you have your settings all setup stable

Yes, newegg reviews can be tricky to pick thru. Some do not even buy from there, some are users who are clueless and others are just there to bash products plain and simple.

Gigabyte boards can be tricky when it comes to ram, and users coming from P35 to P45 have a HUGE BIOS leap to take and that is likely to blame for half of the users who have issues with certain setups

Ya I forgot about Tomshardware, Gigabyte Colin posts there as well I think. I am not sure if Janus does though?

Sorry about my CPU Comment, I think I glanced over your CPU is why I asked that. I was pretty tired when I was replying, sorry about that. I did read your post though for sure

So is everything working good now? If not let me know and I can help for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Sorry for the late reply back.

Ya that is a old program and no longer supported and not many use it, that is why you may be having issues and why Memtest86+ 2.11 is suggested.
    You are wrong in saying that memtest86 (version 3.5) is an "old program".

Memtest86 (v3.5) is dated January 2009.

Memtest86+ (v2.11) is dated December 2008.

So on the surface, with no reports that v3.5 is deficient (and is certainly not "old"), it seemed that if there are comments on the web regarding 2.11, well then maybe 3.5 is more "recent". I had no idea that they were two completely different streams or projects.

Well wow I'm glad I'm not alone. I have this board and a 2X2gb corsair Dominator ram kit. It was on the list of aproved ram...
    2AP5 2GB CORSAIR CM2X2048-8500C5D

and I can not get it to work to save my life...Memtest fails over and over again on multiple timmings. single stick works no problem

Ahh well I mean OLD as in the code is not updated for today's technology. It was for a long time not supported/updated by the Author. Only recently they started updating it again and borrowed some coding from Memtest86+ 2.11 for SOME newer chipsets as you can see here >>
    Memtest86 - Memory Diagnostic Change Log Page

Also, there is this Memtest, by HCI Design, that you can run in windows. I use this with Memtest86+ >>
    MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows

@Jake94, please give me your settings you use that fail for both sticks and I can help >>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 

Clock Chip Control 
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................
    tRCD .........................................
    tRP'...........................................
    tRAS..........................................

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first.  Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................
    tWTR..........................................
    tWR............................................
    tRFC...........................................
    tRTP...........................................
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Motherboard Voltage Control

CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:Auto if not overclocking, if you are overclocking please do find and set your own voltages

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much.  Optimal range for overclock would be 1.2-1.5 depending on Vcore, try to keep at least .1 under vcore.  Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much.  Optimal range for overclock would be 1.5-1.65.  Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
    ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: <<< Leave
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-06-2009 at 04:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information