Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Noctua HSF - UD3P - G.Skill Pi RAM fit?

Default Noctua HSF - UD3P - G.Skill Pi RAM fit?

Does anyone know if the Noctua NH-U12P HSF unit has any interference problems when installed on the GA-EP45-UD3P board that is using the G.Skill Pi DDR2 800 RAM? (It's tall)
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

My concern is that the unit (It's fan)will block the 1st dimm slot slightly and I understand 1 & 3 are the preferred slots to use for dual channel operation.

Thanks

Default Re: Noctua HSF - UD3P - G.Skill Pi RAM fit?

It fits, I have that HSF on my UD3P right now and it works with tall RAM, the HSF is not so big that the fan is on top of the RAM, you can use the tallest RAM you can find.

kick is offline Senior Member

Bah you don want that noctua poop..j/k.
    I know the gskills are a little high ,but Hs/ram clearance is supposed to be fine on the board .I cant swear to it on the noctua tho.Maybe Nickel etc have tried it with high heatsink ram.Just had a look at mine with the V* and thats quite big ,there is no problem on distance.. height would be v close.

lol beaten by a minute again.^
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

So - when looking in from the side of the case there is a small space betwen the HSF fan casing and the RAM in thw 1st Dimm slot?

Jeeze - you guys are fast!
    I could only wish Newegg's free shipping was as quick - LOL

PS: My older Lian Li Aluminum Case w/Slide in motherboard tray
    is 8" wide so it "should" fit as far as height goes. (I hope)
    Last edited by RonM; 03-16-2009 at 06:09 AM.

kick is offline Senior Member

yeh on first point,nickels ol but it seems the dimensions are good on 1st slot and hsfins.

On the next bit,do you mean the height of the heatsink?.
    I dont know the noctua dimensions,but they should be on the site/reviews.
    I had to cut the side of my case and put in a raised perspex window,for my cooler.8in sounds plenty but ,google the dimensions then get out your tapemeasure/similar and measure the clearance to the edge of the case frame from the top of the cpu or cpu cover plate .
    If the noctua can be tightened from the top it wont matter if you are a few mm short,just pop it on when the "tray" is in.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

The height dimension on the Noctua is 158mm = 6.22 in.
    which appears to be enough - My case is 8/1/4 wide (outside dimensions)

There is about 0.5cm between the outer edge of the Noctua fan and the first RAM slot, the cooler is mounted so that it blows towards the rear case fan.

That should work then -- Thanks!

Thread Information