Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EX58-UP4P Onboard LAN with Network issue

Default GA-EX58-UP4P Onboard LAN with Network issue

Hello,
    I know this has been raised once by Yorkie26, but has anyone had problems with the UD4P shutting down instantly with no warning because they tried to connect to another computer on their network? The activities could be anything from accessing or copying files to and from their network or even playing a media file. Even another PC on my network trying to connect to the PC using the UD4P will shutdown and reboot the UD4P system. Have had this system for 3 weeks.

Everything else that I do seems to be OK, like downloading and uploading data on the internet, or playing games and surfing the web. I'm not sure whether it's the BIOS or the Realtek onboard LAN device driver, as they have both been updated to the latest version. The PC has even been on for 4 days straight and even gaming for hours without a hitch, so I know it's not a heat issue.

I don't really want to RMA the board as it will be a month before I get it back. I know it's fine if I do not use it to connect to my network with other computers. I know it's not a RAM issue as I've tested each stick individually using the Windows RAM diagnostic tool.

Have also connected other computers to the same ethernet cable and to the same router, and cannot replicate the problem. Only with the new computer with the UD4P.

Will the issue be bypassed if I connect another PCI NIC card on my system? Don't really want to do that because it will mean I will have to remove my X-Fi Sound Card. (Other PCI slot blocked because of my GTX295)

-M/B EX58-UD4P (V1.0) firmware currently F5 (have moved from F2 to F6 and back to F5)
    -Vista 32bit (SP1)
    -150GB Velociraptor HDD
    -Intel i7 920
    -3GB Cosair Dominator 1600 DDR3 8-8-8-24
    All hardware is non-overclocked.

Am at a lost. Hopefully some of you have an answer.

Regards,

Workhorse

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EX58-UP4P Onboard LAN with Network issue

Have you setup a Dual boot to be sure this is not a Vista or Vista related Driver issue?

I would try that out first before I thought about a RMA. I have the same board, so I can do some testing for you. I will be using the F7e BIOS though and wont go back to any older ones as this one is great, and Vista x64 SP1 Business would be the OS I would test with.

Would you like me to test if mine is ok as I have it now? I can transfer to XP32bit, Win7, or XP x64 but not Vista to Vista though without doing a whole other install I'd rather not. What are you transferring to/between anyway?

I could setup a 32bit Vista install if you would like as well but it may take me some time. If you do want me to do that (The 32 bit test I mean) you will have to wait until I catch up a bit here so I have some spare time. If you do, while you wait can you please see if XP gives you the same issues as you see in Vista to rule out Vista as the issue

Hey, Ya know have you tried your other LAN port to be sure it is not just the one that gives this issue? That is one thing I cannot test though, As My house is all wireless. So having said that, my tests suggestions I could give may be of no use since I am not using the onboard LAN's.... DOH! I suppose I could carry my PC into a room with a cable, but it would be cabled (my PC) to Wireless on the other end, only way I could do it

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Have you setup a Dual boot to be sure this is not a Vista or Vista related Driver issue?

I would try that out first before I thought about a RMA. I have the same board, so I can do some testing for you. I will be using the F7e BIOS though and wont go back to any older ones as this one is great, and Vista x64 SP1 Business would be the OS I would test with.

Would you like me to test if mine is ok as I have it now? I can transfer to XP32bit, Win7, or XP x64 but not Vista to Vista though without doing a whole other install I'd rather not. What are you transferring to/between anyway?

I could setup a 32bit Vista install if you would like as well but it may take me some time. If you do want me to do that (The 32 bit test I mean) you will have to wait until I catch up a bit here so I have some spare time. If you do, while you wait can you please see if XP gives you the same issues as you see in Vista to rule out Vista as the issue

Hey, Ya know have you tried your other LAN port to be sure it is not just the one that gives this issue? That is one thing I cannot test though, As My house is all wireless. So having said that, my tests suggestions I could give may be of no use since I am not using the onboard LAN's.... DOH! I suppose I could carry my PC into a room with a cable, but it would be cabled (my PC) to Wireless on the other end, only way I could do it
    Hi LSD,
    Thanks for the reply. Was away for a few days and didn't get time to read the response. I didn't even know there was an F7e BIOS as the Gigabyte website only had F6 and F7A beta as the only ones to download. I have downloaded from the Tweak site for the F7e. What does the F7e do? Is it official? I have done a dual boot and I don't have x64 version of Vista. Because my router and modem is right next to me I didn't have my PC wireless so if you can test your Vista with cable from your PC to the router and try to connect and copy files (could be any file) from your other computer, that would make a good test. Anything that I try when connected to the other PC will shutdown my computer with no warning.

Since your PC is wireless I gather you have disabled the onboard LAN? Yorkie26 had the same issue as me (did he get back to you on the RMA of his UD4P board?) I was hoping it was a non hardware issue. There are quite a few settings on the Realtek driver in the properties section and was wondering if I set it incorrectly. I just left it all at default when the OS and the driver of the LAN was installed. Also I left the settings of the BIOS at default as well with audio and LAN enabled and the Floppy disabled.

Let me know how you go? Please dont' go to the trouble of trying out the other Vista32

Regards,
    Workhorse

Hi LSD and users of X58 UD4P,

I finally resolved this issue with my onboard LAN. I had the wrong version of the Realtek driver installed. (Could have been corrupted as well).

I had first installed drivers which came with the Gigabyte motherboard, which was a disaster. Failing that, I downloaded version 6.215.1226.2008 from the Realtek website, which also didn't work. The latest version, 6.218.317.2009, has resolved my reboot issue when connecting to my other PCs on the network.

Note: Before thinking about RMA for this motherboard, always try all the latest drivers to be sure. Of course the problem occurred during the time when the lastest drivers hadn't fixed my problem, which was back in Feb09.

Regards,

Workhorse

Sorry for bringing up a old thread, but the ONLY way i solved my lan issues was to install a INTEL giga pci-e nic card. Realtek has NOTHING that can compair with INTEL's nic offerings, just wish i woulda done this when i got the board, and not wasted time with Realtek and their drivers... Ugh....
    Gigabyte X79 UP4
    E5-2690
    32gb Patriot DDR3@1600
    R9-390 8gb x3
    2 Kingstin Hyper X 240gb SSD (os array)
    4- 480gb Adata SSD (Game Array)
    2 HGST 1tb x2 (Storage Array)
    X-Fi Titanium
    Custom Thor Full Tower
    Cougar G1600
    Custom Water Cooling
    Win10 64

I am using UD4P myself here and have zero issues with the Realtek LAN's

So your's very well could be faulty is all.

I'm runnin win7, and have had constant issues with drivers since i have gotten my board. New nic seems to have cured it, and I dont think it's enough to warrant a rma over it. Too bad the board manufacturers dont utulize Intel nics for their onboard, I bet there are alot of peeps that would pay a little extra for it....
    Gigabyte X79 UP4
    E5-2690
    32gb Patriot DDR3@1600
    R9-390 8gb x3
    2 Kingstin Hyper X 240gb SSD (os array)
    4- 480gb Adata SSD (Game Array)
    2 HGST 1tb x2 (Storage Array)
    X-Fi Titanium
    Custom Thor Full Tower
    Cougar G1600
    Custom Water Cooling
    Win10 64

Tested Windows 7 LAN not long ago for someone here, maybe you?

I do think you have faulty onboard chips or LAN Ports is all, and I agree, nothing I would RMA over either! I use Wireless PCI Cards myself

Thread Information