Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-DQ6 firmware F9 reboot loop. Bricked card, no POST, please please HELP!

Default EP45-DQ6 firmware F9 reboot loop. Bricked card, no POST, please please HELP!

Hello all!

I've recently acquired a EP45-DQ6 mobo to run with the following specs:
    Intel Q9550
    8GB RAM Corsair Dominator 1066 (4x2GB)
    GeForce 7300 GS

Last night I got it all installed, but as soon as I turned it on, it didn't even get to the POST messages, and rebooted again.
    I soon learned that it was a memory problem, and if I took one memory card off from slot #2, it worked normally. When I wsas able to boot, I flashed with the newest BIOS, and everything went fine (all memory slots connected, all ok). I even got to install the os, without any problems.

The problem is that the newest BIOS makes the purple SATA connectors function as a RAID1 (god knows why). I wanted to use it as a RAID0 for my system files. In RAID1, the speed dropped dramatically.

So, I tried one more time flashing the BIOS, now downgrading to a version that from Gigabyte's site, had the memory compatibility fixed but did not make the Sil chipsets work as RAID1. (Bios version F9). I shouldn't have done it.

The update appeared to have turned out fine, but now my board is in a reboot loop that doesn't even turn the cpu fan on. It seems it makes the exact same loop as if I didn't have any memory on. I've tried all combinations possible of memory slots positions. I've tried resetting CMOS of all possible means, but nothing does it.
    So now I can't get to reflash my BIOS to the latest firmware, and haven't figured out how does this "DUAL BIOS" work for me. How can I use the backup BIOS?

Thank you all for your help
    It is really appreciated!

Wan

Default Re: EP45-DQ6 firmware F9 reboot loop. Bricked card, no POST, please please HELP!

Don't use the purple SATA connectors, they're from the JMicron chip, the yellow one are from the Intel southbridge.

Try to remove the power cord and remove the BIOS battery for some hours. Alos push the power button to discharge the PSU. This has often brought seemingly dead boards back to life.

About the DualBIOS thing, you'll ahve to wait for someone else, I never had to use that so I don't know exactly how it works, and I don't want to start guessing here ;)

Default Re: EP45-DQ6 firmware F9 reboot loop. Bricked card, no POST, please please HELP!

Hello, thanks for your reply! As soon as I arrive home, I will try what you said.

As for the JMicron chip, does that mean that it is no good? I needed to use the 6 sata connectors for a RAID array, so I thought about using the system into the purple connector.

But I guess that because of its configuration as RAID 1, the benchmarking for disk write/read dropped dramatically.

It's not "no good" but the Intel is better, therefore you should use the Intel first. If you need to use them all then of yourse you can also use the purple ports, but you can't make a RAID between purple and yellow ones.

I don't know enough about RAID though, so I can't tell you more. Only thing I know that if you use that many ports and are serious about the RAID stuff then your should consider getting a good PCI-E RAID controller card.

Thread Information