Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking EP45-DS3R + Q6600 + 8GB

Default Overclocking EP45-DS3R + Q6600 + 8GB

I have been searching relentlessly throughout a ton of forums for more information regarding bios setting and whatnot for an overclock with 8GB. Of course the prevailing wisdom says "use 4GB, or 2 sticks in general". Here are my specs:

Q6600 G0 stepping
    GA-EP45-DS3R
    Silverstone 500W with only 4-pin 12V cpu plug, could get 2xmolex to 8-pin if needed.
    8GB (4 * 2GB) A-data (4-4-4-12)
    Link to ram: Newegg.com - A-DATA Vitesta 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I have been running this system for about 4 months now. I had problems from day one, then after about a week I realized I needed to bump ram voltage to 1.9V to stop the boot loops and random restarts. Well everything was not so well lately. I bought the system with overclocking in mind, but figured I would give it some time before I did an OC. Here I am 4 months later and bug got me. I broke out memtest and failed miserably. I moved to testing pairs of sticks for 6-8 hours each and they passed. I put all 4 back in and decided to bump up to 2.0v on the ram and surprise...now at 10 hours and 6 passes I have no errors. Just to be sure I am gonna run it the rest of the weekend.

I would like to push this system to the 3.2 range. I have an ultra 120 extreme and plenty of movement in my antec 300 case. Cores are running at 17C per the bios, but 28-34C per speedfan and coretest. I plan on lapping the HS and CPU, but that won't be till next week sometime. Since it is a mild overclock (compared to 3.4+ ) I would think my temps will stay in check without the lapping right now. I also run osx86 dual boot with XP. osx seems to be less tolerant (not always the case) to extreme overclocking without days of prime and memtest perfection, which I am def shooting for.

So yeah...I have about a million bios options with this board and my last system was a 2100+athlon on a GA-7blah blah..don't remember, but the options were very limited. There is so much on p35 or p45 with 2-4GB ram, but little on 8gb.

Current bios settings:
    All auto or stock settings except:
    Standard instead of Turbo
    4-4-4-12 locked timings
    2.0v bump on DIMMs

Oh and I run AHCI boot, which may or may not make a difference. I have to disable to run memtest, but need it to boot a MBR AHCI XP/OSX86 vanilla from syslinux 3.63 bootloader.

What do the tweak gods suggest?

Chucko is offline Member

Default Re: Overclocking EP45-DS3R + Q6600 + 8GB

I'm no "god" but I have the same mobo, CPU, and case, and I also run OSX86. I've had mine up as high as 3.2GHz stable, though I usually run at 3GHz because I can do it without raising any voltages and with a slow and quiet CPU fan speed.

My approach was to turn off EIST, run the CPU at the lowest multiplier, then crank up the FSB in small steps and find the "limit". ("Limit" because some people push their hardware harder than I choose to.) Get the FSB and memory stable by adjusting CPU Termination Voltage, CPU PLL Voltage, MCH Core Voltage, DRAM Voltage, System Memory Multiplier, and memory timings. Not necessarily in that order! Memtest86+ is essential here.

Then crank up the CPU multiplier and raise the CPU Core voltage until it's stable. You may prefer to back off the FSB speed to get a higher overall CPU core clock. Check for stability using Prime95, OCCT, Intel Burn Test, etc. and watch the core temps while it's running. I prefer a test based on the Intel Linpack benchmark because it pushes the CPU harder than you will ever push it in normal operation. It will find instability faster and push your cooling system harder than any other stability test. Intel Burn Test is based on Linpack.

Once you have settled on a CPU speed, now try reducing all the voltages to the minimum necessary for stable operation. It's heat and voltage that kill chips; speed alone won't do it. A small decrease in voltage works out to a large increase in expected chip life.

The BIOS doesn't measure core temperature, it measures CPU case temp. 17C is usually below room temperature, so I wouldn't trust that! 28-34C sounds about right for idle temps.

On OSX86, use the Temperature Monitor application to track core temps - it also reads S.M.A.R.T. HDD temps.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your overclock - a little patience and you'll be quite pleased at what your system can do!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I suggest first, start saving for a better/larger PSU. Sure you can use a adapter, but it is not the best thing to do. 8Pin ATX 12V is not a "Have to" thing, but it would be better for sure, especially since you are overclocking

Here is what I would suggest for optimal 3.2 setup for your specs, CPU Voltage of course will be up to you to find and set properly. Keep in mind, what you set in the BIOS will be less in windows at Idle and Less than that at Load, so set high to start you can lower later once you get stable

Code:
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.2

Clock Chip Control 
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 401Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00B or 2.00D (Try B first)
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................4/5
    tRCD .........................................4
    tRP'...........................................4
    tRAS..........................................12

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first.  Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................3-5
    tWTR..........................................4-8
    tWR............................................6-10
    tRFC...........................................68-82
    tRTP...........................................3-5
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................800/1066 (Test/Bench Both last 1066 may be better)

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:7-10
     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:7-10
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:1.325-1.45

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: << 1.225-1.4
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << 1.55-1.65

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.24-1.35 (4+ GB often needs this, if you have no luck with any of these try less then stock IE: 1.05)
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
    ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: <<< 1.5-1.55
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< 1.14-1.2

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.0-2.1 (Set 2.1 for now, you can try lower later)
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Okay...sorry for the late response and thank you for both your responses. I was gone this weekend and left Memtest run for 55 hours and 37 minutes...55 passes no errors...of course this was at stock speeds as posted in my original post.

I have now loaded the values you suggested above and I can boot great with no problems. I left everything loose (i.e if yo usuggested 7-10...I put 10). Temps are as follows at idle:

Core 0: 36C
    Core 1: 35C
    Core 2: 32C
    Core 3: 39C

I am thinking I need to lap the HS and CPU....such uneven core temps. Anywho, these temps are about 5 degrees C above stock idle temps so I figure I am doing okay in that department. Apparently I don't have one of those miracle chips that runs at 20C on all cores...wish I did...bios claims I do, but core test and speedfan say otherwise.

When I run OCCT in Windows I fail in exactly 10 seconds lol. Haven't tested prime and I am about to reboot and run memtest for an hour or so.

If I pass memtest I am guessing I could start clocking down RAM settings to get some faster times...where would I start first? Also, why is it that OCCT fails so fast? Seems to me as I watch speedfan and coretest that its a temp thing...like when cores start to hit 50C it shuts down. I didn't think 50C was a problem...was thinking 70C+ would be more to worry about.

kick is offline Senior Member

uneven core temps in quads are nothing new 10 degree variations arent uncommon.
    I dont know does lapping really do much,altho "evil thermaltrue heatsinks are supposed to be uneven"
    It will for sure void your cpu warranty tho.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Chucko is offline Member

Your idle temps look fine. Lapping may help even them out, I haven't done this yet myself. What CPU cooler do you have? You'll need some pretty healthy cooling once you start pumping up the CPU core voltage. Good airflow through the PC case is essential.

If Memtest can run all weekend, but OCCT dies right away, that suggests you need to boost the CPU Core Voltage. I would get OCCT, Intel Burn Test, or Prime95 stable first before dialing in memory timings. OCCT or IBT will find weaknesses faster - they work the CPU (and cooling) hardest of any stability tests.

Okay, so I gave up the dual boot for now and I have a fresh 10.5.6 install of Mac OS X.
    I had no luck booting with a 400MHz FSB. I got sick of kernel panics so I just put it at
    333 with 9X for a 3.0GHz OC. I was able to manually keep my timings at 4-4-4-12 2T at 2.1V
    and I am hoping these pass memtest tonight. I like tight timings. So anyway, any suggestions
    on my current settings? My core temps are up about 3-4C at idle right now
    which isn't too bad. I am gonna go find a stress test for Mac right now and
    report back.

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)

Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.0

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<<
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<<

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.4B
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................4
    tRCD .........................................4
    tRP'...........................................4
    tRAS..........................................12

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first. Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................3
    tWTR..........................................4
    tWR............................................6
    tRFC...........................................68
    tRTP...........................................3
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................800

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:7
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:7
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:1.350
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: << 1.300
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << 1.70

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.24 (4+ GB often needs this, if you have no luck with any of these try less then stock IE: 1.05)
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
    ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: <<< 1.6

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.1
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Chucko is offline Member

You can download mprime for OSX at GIMPS Home - this is the same code as in Prime95, but the basic command line version. Likewise a command line version of Intel's Linpack benchmark is also available, but the download was missing a key shared library the last time I tried it. I reported this a few weeks ago, don't know if they've fixed it yet. (Edit: checked again, not fixed yet!)

I primarily run OSX but I use Fedora 10 Linux for stress testing. The programs mentioned above are also available for Linux.

At CL4 you may be able to bring the Static tRead down to 6. My RAM is only good for CL5 at 800-840MHz so I'm stuck at Static tRead of 7. Any lower and it won't post.

You should also be able to bring tRFC down to 51. 68 is way loose at 800MHz.

At your current speeds, you can probably bring your voltages down quite a bit. My Q6600 has a VID of 1.275V and I'm running 9x336 Linpack stable at that voltage with C1E and EIST enabled! I'm actually undervolting CPU Termination to 1.1V and MCH Core to 1.05V on my rig with 4x2GB of RAM. Remember, the P45 MCH is designed to run at 333MHz FSB and 800 RAM at stock voltages, so you shouldn't have to juice it up at those speeds.

If you decide to go higher, of course you'll need to crank up the voltages, but 3GHz should be pretty easy on your setup.
    Last edited by Chucko; 03-24-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, OCCT fail means you need more voltage to Vtt or Vcore. Let me know your final setting speed and settings you plan to run and I will help you dial things in once you get settled in on where you want to be

I think I am going to stay at 3.0GHz for at least a year at this point. I will go crazy next year when Q9560 prices fall in case I burn up my chip trying to go for 3.6 or something. I am sick of kernel panics in the 400FSB range so I will just stick it out at 333FSB for now.

So my goal at this point is to get my voltages as low as possible and my timings as tight as possible and then I can start to turn my case fans back to low. Right now my CPU core temps don't go above 50C when stressing them at 3.0GHz with the settings listed above.

I am gonna start lowering stuff based on what you said Chucko and anymore help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information