Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working in dual channel

Question Working in dual channel

Hi

I have a PC that was built 2 years ago:

Ms windows xp sp2
    AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core processor 3800, 2009Mhz.
    GIGABYTE mother board M61 PM S-2, 2x512 DDR2 ultra cl4 (4-4-4-12)GEIL

Since I want to add more RAM(in dual channel mode) , I have checked the mother board manual,
    and it says that in order to work in dual channel, the modules have to be located in dimms 1 and 2(same color), or 3 and 4,when in fact I found out that these are located at dimms 2 and 4 and not in the same color slots.
    The technician who built up the machine(two years ago) says that the way the modules were positioned by him is the right one ,and it is supposed to work in dual channel mode.... .
    I`ve tried to position the modules in the way the manufacturer directs, but the machine did not boot, so I changed it back.
    I also found out, that the memory works in single channel 64 bits!!!!!!
    I have been fooled by a crook, and now I hope some of you guys can help me on this and tell me if there is a way to work it out.
    Thanking you in advance
    EP
    Last edited by peereli; 03-21-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Working in dual channel

Yes, to run Dual channel you must put them in the same color slots. Is this all matching ram? I assume not since it would not work for you in dual channel?

Did you set the ram voltage and maybe add some memory controller voltage for the extra ram you are installing (Sorry not sure about AMD BIOS specifics)

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yes, to run Dual channel you must put them in the same color slots. Is this all matching ram? I assume not since it would not work for you in dual channel?

Did you set the ram voltage and maybe add some memory controller voltage for the extra ram you are installing (Sorry not sure about AMD BIOS specifics)
    Both modules are the with the same properties(please see my first post in this thread).I did not tweak or added some voltage as I did not buy the additional modules yet.

Ahh, sorry I thought you had already bought the ram, guess I read that wrong.

Do you have a link to your ram or the Model #? What BIOS are you using?

Here is the correct slots for Dual channel. For one set of ram you would of use slots 1+2 on the left side of the board closest to the CPU. You may also use 3+4 for Dual, but 1+2 is advised. So the guy who set you up was correct if he told you to use 1+2

If he had them installed in 1+3 or 2+4 that is of course incorrect and he may have just been used to older machines or building Intel, because in a Intel Based board that would be correct Dual channel mode

Here is a image from your manual and the link to it as well >>>

ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/mo...m61pm-s2_e.pdf

If you had issues, I think you said you did, putting them in Dual channel you may need to change/set the voltage in the BIOS as well as enable DCT's mode before you install them that way. OR you could possibly have a faulty slot, you would need to test each slot one by one with one stick to see. I see in your manual your BIOS does not have a section to set these things, so you may have issues? But then again maybe not since it was made for dual channel

Ahh, sorry I thought you had already bought the ram, guess I read that wrong.

Do you have a link to your ram or the Model #? What BIOS are you using?

Here is the correct slots for Dual channel. For one set of ram you would of use slots 1+2 on the left side of the board closest to the CPU. You may also use 3+4 for Dual, but 1+2 is advised. So the guy who set you up was correct if he told you to use 1+2

If he had them installed in 1+3 or 2+4 that is of course incorrect and he may have just been used to older machines or building Intel, because in a Intel Based board that would be correct Dual channel mode

Here is a image from your manual and the link to it as well >>>

ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/mo...m61pm-s2_e.pdf

If you had issues, I think you said you did, putting them in Dual channel you may need to change/set the voltage in the BIOS as well as enable DCT's mode before you install them that way. OR you could possibly have a faulty slot, you would need to test each slot one by one with one stick to see. I see in your manual your BIOS does not have a section to set these things, so you may have issues? But then again maybe not since it was made for dual channel
    Hi
    Thank you for your reply, and effort made to help.
    Well... I`m one step further: 1+2 wont boot up, succeeded with 3+4 and I`m in dual channel now. The problem now would be to add two additional modules in dimms 1+2 as these are not working with the existing ones.
    Any ideas other than nonfunctional dimms?
    I attach BIOS properties for more info.
    Thanks
    Last edited by peereli; 03-23-2009 at 07:05 PM.

So can you or have you tested slot 1 and 2 by themselves for single channel one stick to see if that will work? It may or may not show them to be faulty, you may not be able to find out if the slots are faulty or not until you have all 4 sticks.

When are you getting them?

Can you borrow or do you have around the house any other ram such as 2x1GB of 6400Mhz to test with, it could just be that ram itself (Speed, Brand, or Model) that is the issue here. You may want to think about buying a 2x1GB or 2x2GB set, 2x1GB set would likely cost just as much or close to the amount you would pay for 2 new 512Mb sticks.

I see in your manual you do not have a MIT (Page to adjust CPU and or Memory settings) Page in the BIOS, is that true or is the manual just outdated? I find it hard to believe that it will support the new triple core cpu's but not give you access to any of those settings. Could just be because it is a cheaper board though, just thought I would ask to be sure
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-23-2009 at 07:05 PM.

So can you or have you tested slot 1 and 2 by themselves for single channel one stick to see if that will work? It may or may not show them to be faulty, you may not be able to find out if the slots are faulty or not until you have all 4 sticks.

When are you getting them?

Can you borrow or do you have around the house any other ram such as 2x1GB of 6400Mhz to test with, it could just be that ram itself (Speed, Brand, or Model) that is the issue here. You may want to think about buying a 2x1GB or 2x2GB set, 2x1GB set would likely cost just as much or close to the amount you would pay for 2 new 512Mb sticks.

I see in your manual you do not have a MIT (Page to adjust CPU and or Memory settings) Page in the BIOS, is that true or is the manual just outdated? I find it hard to believe that it will support the new triple core cpu's but not give you access to any of those settings. Could just be because it is a cheaper board though, just thought I would ask to be sure
    Sorry but what manual you are referring to?

I was referring to yout motherboard manual. I linked the PDF to it above, in the thread where I posted the Memory image

I was referring to yout motherboard manual. I linked the PDF to it above, in the thread where I posted the Memory image
    I went into the BIOS and did not find anything related to memory settings.

Did you see my BIOS properties attachment in my previous message( the one before the last one) ? Is the BIOS functionally OK with this version?
    Last edited by peereli; 03-23-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Ya, It looked to me like your manual also did not show a "MIT" Section.

You can use that version of your BIOS F3, but you may want to update it to the latest as it may help with this issue and or other issues you may or may not be having. Please see here for the best way to update your BIOS, Do not use @BIOS, especially since you are having memory issues >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Latest BIOS for your board is here (Latest NON Beta BIOS is F8) >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-M61PM-S2 (rev. 2.0)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information