Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ep45-ud3p w q6600 and OCZ Reaper 1200mhz - overclocking

Default ep45-ud3p w q6600 and OCZ Reaper 1200mhz - overclocking

As stated in title... I'm having hell of a time trying to overclock it.
    I'm unable to get a boot(yes a boot) @ 3.0GHz(333*9)...
    Been trying almost all of the voltages and timings... and NONE did the trick... :/
    This is my system:
    GA-EP45-UD3P
    Q6600 G0
    4x1GB OCZ Reaper 1200MHz 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1V
    OCZ Stealth 780W
    9800GT

and so on...

I'd post the template for my MIT, but... I could only post the default values... so... for the start, anyone have any idea how to get to, at least, 3.0GHz?

Much obliged! :)

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ep45-ud3p w q6600 and OCZ Reaper 1200mhz - overclocking

The usual ..start off at bios defaults and work your way up.
    See what you can get the memory to on multipliers( I only had success with B and to a lesser extent D).
    Then build up the cpu speed.
    I found out fairly fast what my memory would run to.
    Then I started inching along on (1:1) the B multiplier seemed to work the best.
    Most everything else I left on auto except the 3 main voltages until 470 or so fsb.
    Maybe try an 8 multiplier since your memory is good?
    Its said 4 sticks require a little more mch,I dont know tho.
    I tried 4x2G but one pair was normal samsung 667 mhz memory and wouldnt go above 700mhz or so.
    Is your 4 stick one of those (all 4 sticks have been tested together at 1200), or 2 dual kits?
    At high speeds with "bin variations" They dont guarantee 2 kits will work together (I think)
    Lastly not to rain on parades,Ive heard /seen that q6600 doesnt clock like it used to.Since theyre gonna phase it out maybe newer samples are from the "not quite as good bin" G0 or not.
    Course if yours is an old cpu that youve clocked high before,disregard that .
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thanks mate... but... it looks like I've been having RAM problems.
    I cant get my ram to work over 800mhz... so... no overclocking for me until I manage to solve this...
    If you have any suggestion what to do, it'd be greatly appreciated.
    Oh and btw, its 2 kits.

This is with the "enhanced performance profile" turned on.
    Without it... it wont move from 667mhz. :/

edit: I've removed 1 kit... to try set 1 first... perhaps that will do the trick
    Last edited by ays; 03-22-2009 at 05:23 AM.

kick is offline Senior Member

weird there is no epp setting on the mem between 333 and 588.
    Id try n get it running at around 1066 and enter in the 588 figures manually in bios.
    try the 2.66 D or 2.4 B memory multiplier leave performance on standard,
    enter in 5-5-5-18 yourself in the main memory timing.ram voltage 2.1 in bios.static read/performsnce lvl maybe 9/10 in bios advanced timings.tRFC to 62(tho if you leave performance on standard the tRFC will end up pretty close to that anyway).
    400fsb with 2.6 multiplier should put your memory running around 1040,maybe try 405 fsb..
    Hopefully that would work with a low cpu multiplier,how low does Q6600 go?
    Once you have those memory settings in tho it should work even if you bring the fsb below 400,it would just mean the memory was running on looser timings.,you can tweak it up more later once you have a stable bios you can save it and then renter it later if you go to far ,using the F12 and F11 keys on main bios page.
    Try disabling the xmp profile thing.. i didnt find that much use.
    Sorry when I said i left most things on auto to 470 fsb,i did change the memory timings myself.
    The 6600 voltages etc needed i dont know.there are posts around tho.
    I did see some post awhile back where someone needed 1.05 mch to get 4 sticks running,instead of the more normal increase mch to 1.2+.

Do put in 2.1 v for the ram in bios tho,since the mem is able to operate with that .
    2.1 in bios is gonna come out about 2.08v when the pc is running.. and u may need slightly more with 4 sticks ,2.12 +possibly.
    Once you have a "boot" you should be able to get progress somehow!.
    Do post your bios settings tho using the template and maybe someone like lsd/similar might have suggestions.
    Last edited by kick; 03-22-2009 at 10:24 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Yeah... I got it running... all 4 sticks.
    And yes, you were right, but I already had found out about it, you need to set mch to 1.05V for any of those to be able to work on any speed greater then 800mhz.
    Why is that... I honestly haven't got a clue.
    But, I tested it on a Asus P5Q Pro board, the same sticks, and there it ran flawlessly from the begining and the first boot.
    It looks like they got some issues with gigabyte's boards... I only wish I knew that before, cause I'd go back to geil.

They are working quite good at 2.06V, no need to 2.1V, since its not 1200mhz, but 1120mhz.
    Why is that, you might ask... the answer would be, 350mhz FSB and 8x multiplier for cpu... which atm, gives me quite stable rig.

Thanks for the reply mate. Much appreciated. ;)

This thread can be closed now...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

So no further help needed eh? If so, great to hear you got your system running how you want and post back anytime and we will try to help.

1.05 MCH, some boards seem to need this for some reason? Not sure if it is Ram related or the board is actually already overvolted to much so bringing it down actually brings it closer to a correct value? Only users with DMM and these few boards that act this way could test and let us know.

Anyhow, nice to see you up and running!

@lsdmeasap,
    Thank you mate.
    I have this board in another pc combined with Q9550 and geil pc2-8500 and to tell you the truth, I thought I made a mistake when I bought ocz ram... time will only tell was all of the tweaking and endless and countless booting worth it. ;)
    But I an quite sure that I made a mistake with Q6600, cause it simply will not be oc-ed over 3.1GHz, no matter what voltage I set in bios. :/

Anyhow, thank you all for the help. :)

3.1? That can't be right. You sure you do not want me to help ya try to overclock that, I can give you full suggested optimal settings per any speed for it.

OCZ, I have no comment other then I know for sure they have VERY Poor and Unprofessional Public Relations from what I have been a affected by first hand.... (Actually Gigabyte customers I help are the affected ones)

Disregard everything I wrote couple minutes ago...
    I just remember to fix cpu pll voltage to 1.5V and... voila:

I need to slap myself silly for this...
    Dammit... I was soooo stupid :/

I'm gonna push some more... and report what I've managed to accomplish.
    One big THANKS to all of you guys, especially you lsdmeasap... you "pushed" my brain into working LOL :D
    Last edited by ays; 03-25-2009 at 12:39 AM.

That is still only 3.1Ghz, what gives?

Give her a push! I will push on mine if you would like to see

More Vtt (Termination) and PLL. Some Q6600's need 1.55-1.6 PLL to get up there to 3.6+, Vtt 1.4-1.55 for sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information