Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CoolIT Domino ALC any good?

Default CoolIT Domino ALC any good?

Hi,

Finally I have decided to change the stock cooler of my CoreI7 920 for something better.
    Most (all?) good aircoolers are so big I wonder if they will fit in my case (antec) so I found this Coolit Domino ALC (liquid) which seems to do a decent job.

Before I buy it I wonder if someone already bought this cooler solution and has some hands-on experience with it in combination with a Gigabyte motherboard? Is overclocking a 920 to -let's say- 3.6Ghz possible?
    Is removing the fan on the back (it''s replaced by the fan of this solution) disrupting the airflow so much that all my other components like Northbridge and 4870X2 graphic card will overheat?

Thx for any info..

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: CoolIT Domino ALC any good?

Coolermaster V8(air) comes with bracket for i7 and is on the cpu support list.need 162 mm clearancefrom base of cpu to the side of the case.
    Liquid cooling I dont know about except it allows you to go faster :0
    I dont know if there is any nb for i7 ,but I know that if going for water/liquid cooling,you dont leave a $10 fan to cool the rest of the components.
    Fan for the memory is allways usefull,and cool air in front and low, hot air out back n high seems good also.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

If you want to go liquid then buy a Swiftech kit, those are really superb.
    This kit provides everything you need and will beat the CoolIT (as well as any air cooler) easily:
    Swiftech

The CoolIT is a good product, but why settle for good when you can get great? :)

This is a AMAZING cooler i just bought it and i can say it was one of the best buys i have gotten lately.I have a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 W/Q9450@3.72 volts at 1.30 and temps are as good if not better than Zalman9700 with fan on max.Chip temp is 25 idel and 27-29 load core temps are 34-34-33-35 idel Prime95 load threw RealTemp 44-42-44-47.I was a little worried about this but how well it was going to work but now thats its installed WOW.I would buy this again over any of the new CPU coolers 4 sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CoolerMaster 932haf
    ASUS P6T DELUVE V2
    Inte I7 920-4.0/4.2
    CoolIt DOMINO A.L.C
    CoolIt DualBay Gpu Cooler
    ASUS 4870-815/1050(crossfire)
    OCZ Platinum6GB DDR3-1600
    WesternDigtal VelociRaptor 300gb
    Corsair THX 750watt
    Vista Premium64sp2
    3DMARK06:28,515
    3DMARK VANTAGE 20,006

sounds better then I expected...
    Just one other thing (I am new with this stuff).... if I replace my stockcooler how does that effects my other components like RAM and NB/SB?
    I mean, an aircooled system also create some 'airflow' in the case and somehow cools other parts as well...with only the casefans left (in my case one on top and one at the back replaced by the coolit Domino)...is that enough? or do I need extra fans inside my case to compensate?

(case is an Antec 182, UD5 mobo with 6Gb and a not so cool 4870x2)

If you have 2 or more case fans then the NB and RAM temps should not be an issue.

I would definitely not get the CoolIT though, the Swiftech is considerably better and easily upgradeable, you can add an extra radiator, GPU waterblock or NB waterblock in there easily. The pump is very powerful already and is enough to support a bigger loop.

If you want to know more about liquid cooling or ask some more "experts" what thei think about the CoolIT then take a look at this forum:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...splay.php?f=70
    Be warned though, not everyone there knows what he's talking about, so use your common sense.
    Last edited by Nickel020; 03-23-2009 at 01:55 AM.

Actually I just noticed you're taling about the cheapest CoolIT cooling system, so I guess the Swiftech kit I linked is out of your price range.
    Take a look at this review:
    CoolIT Domino A.L.C. Review Page 4 - Testing - Overclockers Club
    The CoolIT is good, but a very good air cooler like the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme beats it, so if you really want something better than an air cooler you will have to get a better liquid cooling kit.
    The one I linked might be out of your price range, but if you want liquid cooling that can beat the best air coolers you will have to spend more than $150, there's nothing below $150 that can be recommended, the Thermaltake kits all suck. There's a void between good air coolers at $50-70 and good liquid cooling starting at $150 that no product has yet been able to fill.

Thanks for the informative answers.
    I just read the test and although not the best cooler it's not a bad one either.

Let's go into my 'demands' slightly deeper. One of my main targets is a silent system...even the three case fans of my Antec and the stock cooler of the coreI7 are irritating me (and they aren't making that much noise so I am nitpicking).... My work needs high levels of concentration ... unless I am gaming of course ...then my 4870x2 on it's own is like a hoovercraft

After reading the reviews (a lot of them) I noticed one thing... The Domino is very very silent and even gives room for mildly overclocking (my target is 3.4/3.6 Ghz max).
    Are other watercooled solutions also almost unhearable?

I will tell you that CoolIt also offers a the same type of system for the ATI4870X2 its a closed system that goes in front bays.The noise that you talk about is the reason that i bought this.I have ANTEC 900 case and with the 2 front 120mm and 1 side and 1 back 120mm with the 250mm top the case is great but is a wind tunnel with my 2 4870 in crossfire.With 1st putting a small 40mm fan on northbridge Heatsink witch makes 0 noise and Coolit A.L.C.on proformance.What that does is speed things up when needed like when i game.I just ordered the CoolIt GPU Dual Drive Bay GPU Cooler This cost 199.99 with 2X full cover ATI 4870 BLOCKS.This will allow me to drop all fan except small NB.I know that a custom build Water system is better im not saying this is in any way better that the SwiftTek that was posted but this does for 1 drop all setup and maintenance of water system,It also cost a fraction of custom water setup.I may be getting 2-3c more on this but for me Its a set up and you are done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CoolerMaster 932haf
    ASUS P6T DELUVE V2
    Inte I7 920-4.0/4.2
    CoolIt DOMINO A.L.C
    CoolIt DualBay Gpu Cooler
    ASUS 4870-815/1050(crossfire)
    OCZ Platinum6GB DDR3-1600
    WesternDigtal VelociRaptor 300gb
    Corsair THX 750watt
    Vista Premium64sp2
    3DMARK06:28,515
    3DMARK VANTAGE 20,006

I have been water cooling for the last two years and i gotta say once you got a good water setup it lasts you forever. =) i have switched cpu systems a few times but its nice to know i don't have to buy any additional waterblocks or anything like that. I always found a way to get the waterblock to mount the new cpu. =)

I would say search the internet for the reviews and find the best watercooling kit you can get for price. Most of the time these kits have a weak water pump and kinda not so great radiator.. Those make the biggest impacts in performance of your loop. So buy the kit and use it if you want but just know that if you want to increase cooling performance replacing the pump in that kit to one of those nice swifttech pumps. usually cost like $60-70 and your performance will be 10x better usually. Also if the radiator is not copper then you can switch that out for a cheap $30 or so usually. i like the copper radiator better than the alluminium.

If your not comfortable doing all this then just stick with the kit. i am just letting you know its very easy to upgrade these kits later and get some screaming performance comparable to the $300 kits.

I personally love the cool it pelt system.. what i did was mod the Freezone kit so it chills the water in my loop. But the heatsink and fan were kinda loud. So i took out the heatsink and got some waterblocks for the hot side of the pelt. and ran a seperate water loop just for the hot side of the pelts. With pelts the cooler you can make the hot side the more effecient and cooler the cold side is. So when i did this i got like another 10 degrees lower in my water temps.. Its a pretty sick setup. i love it. =)
    AMD Phenom II 710 OC@3.450ghz
    Wintec Ampx 1333 DDR3 4GB
    GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    ATI/AMD 4870x2 videocard
    Coolit Freezone elite TEC chilling waterloop
    1 DVD burner
    1 36gb WD rapter hard drive
    2x 640GB WD in RAID 0
    Cooler Master 700W SilentPro PSU
    Watercooling video card and cpu only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information