Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Raid Configuration with GA-ep45-ud3p Rev 1.1

Default Raid Configuration with GA-ep45-ud3p Rev 1.1

I've been reading this forum for some time now, and very impressed with the expertise.

I would appreciate any suggestions in configuring raid 10, before I start my build. I have the following components, all brand new and still boxed so I can still make changes, if necessary:

GA-ep45-ud3P r 1.1
    Crucial 4GB kit 2x2GB DDR2 800CL4 Ballistix Tracer
    E8400 3Ghz
    4 250GB SATA
    Mushkin XP 800 PSU
    1 Samsung DVD Sata
    XP 64 bit (Used nlite to slipstream the intel and gigabyte updated drivers from the GB website)

I had originally intended to use the intel 0-3 ports to configure my raid 10 (2-250 drives in each container) and use the GB Sata for my DVD drive.
    As I read throught the forum, I am beginning to wonder about two things:
    1. Am I thinking correctly on my sata configuration or should I put the DVD on the last port of the Intel SATA and not user the GB sata?

2. Is there a better choice for ram (Mine are still sealed, so I can swap them for a better choice)

I have never done OC before but I think I may wish to do this at some point, once I have a stable system,

Any suggestions or or better choices that I should consider? i.e Bios updates, drivers and configuration?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Raid Configuration with GA-ep45-ud3p Rev 1.1

Sorry for tha late reply, this weekend has been crazy around here

Looks like a good build I would say, what GFX card are you using?

You can do it either way you mention for your DVD Drive questions. It would help bootup maybe by a second or two if you put the drive on the Last port or two of the Intel Controller and then disable the Gigabyte one if you wanted.

I have mine setup as 0-3 Hard drives (3x250 RAID ports 0-2/1 250 storage port 3) and my Dvd drive on the last port with the Gigabyte controller disabled. You will have to leave it enabled though if you are using and IDE Devices, I believe (Sorry, can't remember how it acts between p35/p45 without checking)

About your Memory, that is a great choice.

These are the new 2.0V rated modules right, if so..... I just did a review on 2 sets of Crucial not long ago, they sent them to me for testing and compatibility checks and I made up a review with full settings at various speeds. You can see this review by checking the link in my signature or here ya go >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f58/cruc...-review-30086/

I would suggest you get your Drivers from Gigabyte's site and not use the Ones on the CD as they will be outdated. And Of course the latest BIOS would be best. If you are unsure of flashing procedures please read here >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-23-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Thank you for your reply- things have changed quite a bit, since I build my GB p-35 a few years ago.

I am going to be using the radeon 4870, I also bought two after-market coolers, Arctic Cooling accelero turbo for the GFX card and AC extreme, rev2 for the cpu. I will probably hold off on installing those until I see what the temperatures are with the stock coolers - your thoughts on this?

The case is the new Thermaltake element S - a really nice case.

I do not plan on using IDE at all so I will use your tip of just using the Intel controller and disable the GB raid.

I was looking at x58, but just cannot justify the cost differential - don't think I could sell it to the CFO (spouse)

Cheers and thanks again

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya P45 is a BIOS Beast compared to P35

I would say go ahead and install both of those coolers, mainly because you already paid for them. The GFX Cooler may or may not be needed and you could easily do that later if you like, but I would advise the CPU cooler to go in when you set it up

Ya, X58 is nice for sure, but I hear ya bout the wife

Maybe next year, should be cheaper then. Or you could tell her that is your plan, but in order to save from buy new again next year she could just let you get X58 now

Worth a shot for sure

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. Your review of the Crucial memory sticks "forced me" to go and get two more!
    8GB wahooo!

Thread Information