Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-P35-DS3L File System Corruption

Unhappy GA-P35-DS3L File System Corruption

I'm getting a NTFS file system corruption problem with a P35-DS3L board and 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo. XP Home SP3 will randomly blue screen crash. After the reboot there will be a problem with the file system. Sometimes a chkdsk from a boot CD fixes it, other times I have to reinstall XP from scratch. The System Event Log has a 0x00000024 error when this happens, which is a problem with NTFS.SYS.

This sounded like a problem with the 250GB SATA hard drive, but the Western Digital diagnostic software doesn't find any problems with the drive. I've also ran Memtest86+ to see if I have a memory problem. It doesn't get any errors.

This computer ran fine after I bought the new MB, processor, memory, and power supply for several months. It seemed to start doing this after I recently added a Canon LiDE 200 USB scanner, but I don't see how that would cause this problem. The scanner works fine, and it doesn't crash during scans. I have the newest drivers from the Canon web site.

Nothing in the system is or has ever been overclocked, and the processor is staying well under 40C in temp, usually closer to 30C.

Any ideas on how to diagnose this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-P35-DS3L File System Corruption

How long did you run Memtest86+, and was it the latest Version?

You mention you think it could be this scanner maybe, well the scanner could be fine and function fine yet still have the scanner driver cause issues. Are you using the latest Driver for it?

You could test it that is the issue easy, just uninstall the driver and unplugg the scanner for a few days and see if your issues go away

Can you please post your full specs, and a link to your ram if possible or model # if not. And then please give me your Full settings from the MIT Section, as well as inside windows please run this program and post me a screenshot of it. I see you are not overclocked, but I asked for settings and this screenshot because sometimes Auto settings can cause issues especially memory ones and this Corruption issue sounds like it could be memory related as well so I just wanted to check it all out for you.

Also, if you know of any of the BSOD Codes (0x00000000) you normally would see that could be helpful as well

Tweakers.fr ~ Memset

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Lsdmeasap, after doing some research using Google I'm starting to think the problem is caused by the memory. Many, many other people are reporting the same type of problems with this exact memory. They say it tends to go bad after a few months. I'm going to be getting some new memory in a few days. I'll report back here if that fixed the problem or not.

The memory is Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC6400 batch#97432

Is that the old 2.2V rated Memory, if so it may be erroring because it is Dying. They found a problem with them, that is why the move to the 2.0V rated sets across the board

If they are the new 2.0V rated ones then it very well may just all be incorrect settings

Yes that's the 2.2V. I'm allowing the BIOS to set the voltage and timings to the SPD stock settings, which I guess would be 1.8V. I've read in another thread that Crucial is saying if you run it at 1.8V instead of 2.2V it will damage the memory.

I have read that as well, also have read the opposite. Memory rated voltage is normally the max allowed under warranty, not what is needed for the ram to be stable.

They will RMA those out for you for the new ones because of the design flaw. If you setup a RMA be sure to tell them you would like the lower voltage 2.0V Sticks so they don't send you old stocked 2.2V ones thinking you wanted them

If you want suggested settings, I do suggest voltage of at least 2.1 for 800+Mhz. And yes 1.8V, if that is what is being used, could cause file corruption issues due to memory errors. You can check the actual applied voltage from using Auto with Everest Ultimate in the Motherboard/sensor section, or with HWMonitor. Both can be obtained here >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/

I only suggest 2.2V if you feel you have to use it and if so only if you place a fan directly on the ram as that is HOT

If you would like my full suggested settings, please post back exactly what you are using now with the above template and I will advise back
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-25-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Lsdmeasap, I've confirmed that the problem was caused by the Crucial Ballistix memory. I've contacted Crucial's RMA department, and they're going to replace these modules with a newer build that only requires 2.0 volts. Will those work OK with the GA-P35-DS3L board? Also, can I mix the Crucial 2.0V 2x1GB kit with my existing Kingston 1.8V 2x1GB kit?

Thread Information