Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problems with q9550 E0 and x38-dq6

Default Problems with q9550 E0 and x38-dq6

Hi there - I'll try to post this problem on several places and even contact gigabyte directly.
    Anyway, my system is:

intel q9550 E0 (revision is important, as it's officialyl supported only in last beta f9f bios)
    gigabyte x38-dq6
    2x2gb mushkin redline (1000mhz)
    gigabyte gtx 280
    corsair 750w
    2x velociraptor 300gb @ raid0
    f9f bios (tried with every single bios from F7 onwards)
    Vista ultimate x64 Sp1 - clean install with latest drivers and only essential things

I've only moved from e8500 C0 to q9550 (originally there was e6850 G0 in my system), and I'm now experiencing all kind of problems when I try to raise the fsb on the quad above 350.

I could go to fsb 500+ with both e8500 and e6850 with this mobo (530 to be exact), and used to run e8500 @ 4.0ghz with 2.4b mem multy and 422fsb 10 hours prime stable (intel burn test aswel). Anyway -this isn't the case with this 45nm quad. Everything works perfect on stock settings, but issues start when the fsb is raised - I know that quads can't reach no where near the same fsb as dual core cpu's, but this doesn't seem to be the problem here.
    When using for example, settings below - I can boot without a problem, but then windows doesn't load. Instead it gives me messages that either acpi.sys is missing (hardware failure) or ntldr and similar - all linked to hardware failure.
    CPU is not overheating (cooled with lapped e120 extreme + high speed fan and temp. are under 40c per core at stock speeds when priming small ftts), northbridge and voltage regulation part on mobo is also cooled each with 60cm fan.
    I know for a fact that mushkin redline ram can work ok in this mobo, as I've used it on e8500 and e6850 without a problem - and when testing I've also tried with only 1 stick, and with alternative memory -
    2x 1gb transcend axeram 800mhz (ran it with e6850 long time ago without a problem, clocked to 1100+ mhz), and cellshock cl4 1000mhz. Same symptoms.

So my question is - after 4 days of extensive testing (I changed 1 setting at a time from the list below, and tried all various combination - aswell as lowering multy to 6, and trying to boot with 400fsb but not go - again acpi.sys problem. No blue screen or no boot problem AT ALL). - is:
    What am I doing wrong, and is there a possibility that bios and this E0 revision are having problems?
    I mean, there is no difference between bioses f7 through f9f in terms of recognizing this quad cpu, but every single one of them gives this strange message of hardware failure when booting vista. When I revert to stock or to fsb of 350 - no problem and I can boot and prime just fine (even on stock speeds with fsb 350, as its E0)
    I'll repeat again - nothing of this happened with e8500 and e6850 - if settings were wrong, pc wouldn't boot, or there would be a BSOD. So I'm guessing that mobo goes berserk with this revision of 45nm quad and reports who knows what to vista (I get messages beside acpi.sys that I need to repair vista and insert my dvd, but when booting from it - I get the same message of hardware failure and hardware changes)

Is there a chance some of the R&D technicians at gigabyte can look into this, and try to see what's wrong with bios, mobo and q9550 - q9650 (only 2 with E0 revisions), when raising fsb above 350? (rated mobo's fsb being only 1400 mhz). Thanks for your time, my settings:

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ___________________[8]
    Fine Clock Ratio ___________________[0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_____________ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [417] (tried from 370 to 470 with different settings - the only time I'm not getting errors at windows startup is when using  fsb that is less than 350)
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)________ [100] (tried 101)
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    Performance Enhance ______________[Standard] (tried turbo, and extreme)
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)______ [2.4B] (every other multiplier aswell - one that keeps memory under 1066 mhz - prefferably under 1000mhz)
    Memory Frequency_________________  1000
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD _ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time________________  [5]
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________  [5]
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay________  [5]
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)___________  [12] (tried 15, 18)

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ (4) (tried 5-6)
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ (10) (tried 8-12)
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ (5) (tried 6-7)
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________(54) (tried 50-62)
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ (5) (tried 5-8)
    Static tRead Value_______________ (7) (tried 8-9)
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ Auto 
    Command Rate (CMD)____________ (2)

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal] (tried 50-300)
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal] (tried 50-350)

DDR2 OverVoltage Control : +0.25 (tried 0.2-0.4v - memory rated at 2.1v)
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control : Normal (tried 0.1-0.2)
    FSB OverVoltage Control : + 0.1 (tried Normal -  0.25)
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control : + 0.175 (tried Normal - 0.35)
    MCH Reference Voltage Control : Normal
    DDR Reference Voltage Control : Normal
    DDR Termination Voltage Control : Normal
    CPU GTLREF1 Voltage* : Auto (tried +3%, -3%, -6%)
    CPU GTLREF2 Voltage* : Normal (tried -3%, -6%)
    Loadline Calibration: Enabled
    CPU Voltage Control : 1.3v (tried from 1.25 to 1.45v)

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Disabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Disabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology.................: [Disabled]

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Problems with q9550 E0 and x38-dq6

It very well could be a BIOS only issue, and may be. What has gigabyte Tech support replied about it? If you have not asked, here is the page >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

It looks like you have tried everything that I would have suggested. When you go above 350 FSB, you did try all of that using a "D" Memory Multi as well right (Just checking)

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    It very well could be a BIOS only issue, and may be. What has gigabyte Tech support replied about it? If you have not asked, here is the page >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

It looks like you have tried everything that I would have suggested. When you go above 350 FSB, you did try all of that using a "D" Memory Multi as well right (Just checking)

Yes, I've tried with D multi, and with every other multi - keeping the memory under 1000-1066mhz.
    If the wrong strap was chosen (for example bringing the ram to 1080mhz, or C multi under some conditions) - pc refused to boot, and reset to default values - and thats normal. On the other hand - when correct multi was chosen (from previous experience with redline ram, and e8500/e6850 on this mobo), pc would boot without a problem - but I would get this "hardware" failure messages on system startup. All providing the fsb being above 350.

I've just contacted gigabyte (will try to contact Janus directly aswell), and will report back with findings.

thanks for responding

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well, sounds like it very well may be that CPU and the BIOS then. I would imagine there may be issues since X38 was made long before 45Nm cpu's and the CPU you have is one of the second gen. of 45Nm so a BIOS update may not be able to fully make it compatible (Overclocking-wise I mean)

Let us know what they tell you, aside from Overclocking is not supported.

Thread Information