Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: losing my relegion or are 10 drives too much?

Default Re: losing my relegion or are 10 drives too much?

Obviously a decent (and i mean decent) larger PSU (capacity wise) will be less likely to vary with such a high startup load than a smaller one.

However, I think it's important that you establish that the board is running with stability in what would be considered the "Average" setup, ie 1 or 2 Hard Drives.

I'm not one of these people that advocate large PSU's as often it's overkill especially if you have a decent make/model of PSU. However 10 hard drives will along with the rest of the system, cause an above average (almost abnormal) startup current - the effects which might not be readily seen, unless you have a 100% stable setup anyway.

The Second PSU, say just for the Hard drives idea, is a good option, although you will have to slightly modify the way the second PSU switches on and off, which is not really ideal.

Personally i would check your setup with just one drive first and see if the board/memory etc works 100% , ie no startup or memory errors etc.
    You need a base reference, otherwise you are ultimately guessing and wasting money.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well I was able to get the system up and runnung, so as you can imagine, first thing was to clone data.

I am running of of a single HD for the OS for the moment as I have a backlog of work. seems that 650 watts may not be enough, but having read your comments on the incorrect params for the ram, I may go there before spending 300$ on a PSU.

I sent the link to the RAM site, I may need some help with this as it really not my cup of tea :-)

Cheers

Caretaker360

BTW, I rarly see this mobo anywhere. Is it an odd choice or a bad one ? Rememner I am a photographer / video producer and do a lot of rendering. Also a bit of the black sheep not being on a MAC..

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by chris360 View Post
    Well I was able to get the system up and runnung, so as you can imagine, first thing was to clone data.

I am running of of a single HD for the OS for the moment as I have a backlog of work. seems that 650 watts may not be enough, but having read your comments on the incorrect params for the ram, I may go there before spending 300$ on a PSU.

I sent the link to the RAM site, I may need some help with this as it really not my cup of tea :-)

Cheers

Caretaker360
    What do you mean you sent the link to the ram site??

Quote Originally Posted by chris360 View Post
    BTW, I rarly see this mobo anywhere. Is it an odd choice or a bad one ? Rememner I am a photographer / video producer and do a lot of rendering. Also a bit of the black sheep not being on a MAC..
    No it is a great board, wish I had one myself. They are just the most expensive ones for P45 and that is why you see less of the sold/owned. It is also less likely cold/owned now due to Gigabyte releasing the much cheaper UD3 models shortly after the normal P45 models were introduced

If you do need help with your ram settings, please post the link here and I can help

Good luck with your cloning and data backups

Ram I want to kkep in there is the
    Corsair CM 2048-8500C5D
    this is from the Corsair site:
    Thanks

<table class="professional" id="ctl00_ctl00_cpBodyCode_cpSubBodyCode_dgProduct Memo ry" style="width: 97%; border-collapse: collapse;" rules="all" border="1" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="configurator-featured-alternating_style"><td>TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF</td><td>DDR2-1066 (Dominator-8500C5*4GB*SLI)</td><td>4GB Kit (2 x 2GB)</td><td>5-5-5-15-2T</td><td>2.1
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

hello ? have been runnng a stable systembut I need to but back the 4 gif sticks. I will need help with voltage ane the like, not an OC type :-)

Hello, were you able to check the memory settings ? Note they have a capacity of going 1333
    The Gigabyte site states that this mobo can run at fsb 1600 ?

Cheers C

You're confusing FSB speed with RAM speed. Totally different thing. FSB 1600 = 400MHz as set in BIOS, as Intel chips run on a quad-pumped bus (they can send 4 bits of data on a single clock cycle). That base clock of 400MHz is sent to the RAM via the RAM multiplier, which is not necessarily 4 (usually lower than that as DDR2 doesn't go that high). The Q6600 runs on a 333MHz base clock, so that's FSB 1066 at default speed.

Also that RAM will never ever run 1333 no matter what you do to it.

Anyway, GET THAT RAM REPLACED. I had a lot of issues with the very same RAM, i sent 'em back and the replacements are fine.

Also, onboard raid sucks. FFS, if you need all that storage to be SAFE, get a dedicated RAID card. And don't ever mention Dell on a forum about real computers.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 04-05-2009 at 01:58 AM.
    Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information