Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45T-UD3P SATA/IDE chipset question

Default Re: GA-EP45T-UD3P SATA/IDE chipset question

you can run raid0 and non raid HDD's at the same time, just use the "raid" setting, load drivers ect..
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

I have a SEAGATE ST3500641AS-RK BARRACUDA 7200 SATA NCQ HARD DRIVE- 500 GB
    and i have been trying for the last 2 days to get this mother board to ready it when installing Vista32bit, but i just cant get it to work. I've tried various drivers and messing with the BIOS, but i just cant get it seen. PLEASE HEEEELP!

What are the settings I have to have in BIOS and exactly which driver do i use? Is it that this HD is not compatible with this board??? Its also the ONLY drive im using.
    Last edited by bleu_akuma; 04-12-2009 at 08:33 AM. Reason: mistype

Quote Originally Posted by bleu_akuma View Post
    I have a SEAGATE ST3500641AS-RK BARRACUDA 7200 SATA NCQ HARD DRIVE- 500 GB
    and i have been trying for the last 2 days to get this mother board to ready it when installing Vista32bit, but i just cant get it to work. I've tried various drivers and messing with the BIOS, but i just cant get it seen. PLEASE HEEEELP!

What are the settings I have to have in BIOS and exactly which driver do i use? Is it that this HD is not compatible with this board??? Its also the ONLY drive im using.
    With one drive you have two main choices using a modern OS such as XP/Vista etc:-

Bios:-
    a) Native Mode = Enabled
    and/or
    b) AHCI = Enabled

Native Mode will allow Vista to assign IRQ's as it sees fit.
    AHCI will allow for newer features such as NCQ to be enabled, which is a performance feature.

However the differences between the two modes are not that great.

Vista unlike it's predecessors does Not require any additional drivers upon installation for either of the two options I've given you (providing you are not using a seperate add-in card, such as a PCI Promise controller etc).

So for example,
    1) Set the HD to Native mode, but have AHCI disabled,
    2) Make your cd/DVD drive the first bootable drive.
    3) Insert Vista install Disk and create and format a partition.
    4) Install vista - No other drivers are required at this point.

Also use the Yellow SATA ports to connect the Hard drive to.

If you want to check your drive is OK and working with this setup prior to installing the OS.

Download Seagate Seatools for DOS. You will need to burn an ISO image (on another PC) to CD-r, this will be self booting and will allow you to check your Hard drive fully before installing an OS.

SeaTools for DOS (scroll down page)
    SeaTools Desktop Usage Instructions | Seagate
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 04-12-2009 at 09:00 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Is it possable to load the AHCI drivers after an install and get the same performance as a fresh install with F6 option?

Quote Originally Posted by dido41 View Post
    Is it possable to load the AHCI drivers after an install and get the same performance as a fresh install with F6 option?
    I know with Vista that although you don't need to use the F6 option, once in windows after a clean install and using the MS generic AHCI drivers, that the Intel AHCI driver install, stops the IaStore file (i believe thats the one) and replaces the file with the new Intel version.

I assume the same happens with XP, where unlike Vista there is no generic AHCI driver included with the OS, so the F6 method is required. As above, i assume when you install a version of the windows Matrix storage driver, that it simply stops the relevant Intel/generic HD service (which was installed in the F6 procedure) and installs it's version of the file in its place - updating it accordingly with the version you have chosen.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Stealing this thread for my own purposes, allthough I feel it might be appropriate. Hope you all dont mind and still will help me out here!

Having this motherboard i have tried making it work for about a week, with no positive results.

System components:

GA-EP45T-UD3P
    2 Seagate sata drives ST3500320NS
    1 Ocz vertex series 30 GB ssd drive
    1 samsung dvd writer.

with windows xp professional

Now, it would be great if you pros have some suggestions on how to make this work in:
    A) what u think is the best way using these components.
    B) or just comment on my configuration and why it isnt working.

B: On sata port 0 there is a seagate disk.
    On sata port 1 ; another seagate disk.
    On sata port 2 ; the Ocz vertex.
    On sata port 3 ; the samsung writer.

Have put windows on the ocz drive for faster acess and load (boot) times (correct me if im wrong). And the plan was to configure the two indentical seagate drives to work in raid0 stripe, at least the largest part. Some small partition for mirroring or maybe leave as regular drives. Though maybe i havent got the hang of raid principles. Can one combine the raid partitions with regular ones or even two kinds of raid on the same disks?

On my prior computer, also with gigabyte motherboard, i had to remove the cmos battery backup to update the dmi pool data successfully after changes to my hardware. Could this be important for the seagate drives to why theyre not recognized in windows xp?

Please help me,

Tomasai
    d n00b
    Last edited by tomasai; 04-16-2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: leaving things out

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, on the Intel (Yellow) controller you can create Two arrays if you like, the type and size available will depend on the disks used. Since you have only two disks you would be able to create RAID 1 or 0, in any sizes you like. And yes you can have RAID and NON RAID drives setup.

If you have your OS in the Vertex, you need to install Intel Matrix Storage Manager and then go into the BIOS and enable RAID and use Control + I at bootup/IRQ Screen to create your arrays or from within windows use the Matrix programto create your Arrays from your Seagate drives. (Top Link) >>>
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filt...=All&submit=Go!

DMI Pool should not be needed to update that way, sounds like your old board or the BIOS you used in it was faulty.

What BIOS are you using now by the way?

Since you did not explain your issues other then saying seagate drives do not appear I am not fully sure what your issues are.

Can you please tell me for sure what # and color ports you have all those disk connected to (Just want to check to be sure), and then tell me what settings you have set in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page >>>

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Yellow Ports)
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) .............
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (Purple Ports)
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ...........
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-16-2009 at 03:53 PM.

LSD,

I find I have to re-install my stuff -
    I have an - UD3p board - and will use a WD AALS =640 GB SATA II main drive on SATA 0 (with maybe a second one later) along w/ a LiteOn DV burner on the Gigabyte purple port.

I went and downloaded the four files you mentined from the Gigabyte site.

What hardware/software order should I put this stuff back together first?

Can/should I flash the bios first before adding the hard drive?
    I am having some issues making a bootable USB ZIP drive.

What order should I put stuff together and Install software? I will be using Vista Ultimate 64 ? Will the SATA/ACHI non raid driver and mobo chipset stuff help?

I understand it's newer than the stuff I got w/ the 1.1. board CD. Anything else I should use from the CD?. l alsso got a Radeon bord - when sould I install the new drivers for it? Should I even bother to use the CCC?

Thanks.

Had an E8500 & PC 1066 running good for awhile before a screw up with outlook and mail and Office

Thanks for your reply, Lsdmeasap.

Actually i didnt even try to explain everything in my post cause it had been too long.

Ok, right now everything is set to IDE in bios, as soon as i change this setting windows will give me its trademark flasching bluescreen at boot. My guess is that this means there is some sort of conflict, between the disks or maybe bios isnt getting the whole picture.

And while in IDE-mode im guessing its the master and slave settiings that make the disks dissapear.

Bios version is the last one F6, i upgraded a couple of days ago.

Even made the firmware update on seagate disks, seems they were delivered with faulty firmware, maybe i didnt succeed updating booth disks but know they seem to have the latest firmware, at least when i use seagates own tool.

My procedure until now has been to first set bios to raid mode and enable the native command, (the two first settings). Then after bios reboot entering raid mode with Control + I, setting the two seagate disk in raid0 for 750GB and leaving the rest as is or configuring whats left as raid1 (mirroring). Exiting this and bootup continues and window loading screen appears and seconds later the bluescreen. And reboot.

According to bios (standard cmos features)
    ide channel 0 master is set to one seagate drive
    ide channel 0 slave is set to ocz vertex
    ide channel 1 master the other seagate drive
    ide channel 1 slave is set to samsung dvd writer

And i know for sure its the intel chipset i connected to with 6 sata slots below the pciE, while gigabyte has four "onboard" above.

Maybe it would be a good idea to make sure the firmware updates went ok by disconnecting ocz and reapplying the seagate update. Then shift or maybe even put some disks over to gigabytes own onboard solution.

Hope this explained some! :)

Re: install AHCI driver after Windows XP is installed.

Of course you can do this. There are many posts about such install but the concept is all the same. Here is one HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows - PC Perspective Forums
    The only thing to do is to replace in REG file DEV_???? with the appropriate device id
    for your board (check it in device manager). No other change is required.
    After you boot to windows its best to cancel the 'found new hardware' wizard and run immediately Intel Matrix Storage Manager you've downloaded from the GB site.
    GA-X48T-DQ6 [rev: 1.3], Bios F6e (replacement of GA-EP45T-UD3P [rev: 1.0])
    Q9550 (E0), Zalman CNPS9500 Cooler
    2x2GB Kingston HyperX [KHX13000D3LLK2/2G] 1.7V DDR3-1333 @7-7-7-20
    Gainward Bliss 8800GT, 2x1TB HDD Samsung SATA-2, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W PSU

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information