Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GA-EP45T-UD3P SATA/IDE chipset question

Default Re: GA-EP45T-UD3P SATA/IDE chipset question

Hi Comers,

Looked into your approach, seems like it could be the way to solve my problem.

When you explained what to do i guess you meant that i had to change my newly made reg file. That is: on two occurencies i have the dev_2922 (in his file), then its the 2922 that has to be changed to something else.

And that something else should be the device id of my motherboard? I cant seem to find any number for the board, maybe its called something else in that case, what? Allthough i can find the device numbers of sata port 1 and 4, 5 and 6.

Please explain somewhat more!

T

Hi tomasai,

Yes, you need to change these two occurences of DEV_2922 to DEV_3A22.
    You best approach is this -
    download gigabyte's latest sata raid F6 preinstall driver (8.5.0.1032) - motherboard_driver_sataraid_intel_bootdisk_32.exe, extract the file TXTSETUP.OEM, open it (with notepad) and read on the first screen the line:

iaAHCI_ICH10R = "Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller"

So this is your device name, right. Then go to the end and look here:

[HardwareIds.scsi.iaAHCI_ICH10R]
    id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106","iaStor"

This is how you get DEV_3A22.
    In fact this is exactly what Windows does during F6 preinstall.
    Thus you ensure you always get the correct DEV value for any ICH.
    I've done it for Intel,Assus,Gigabyte and MSI boards with 100% success always
    and the REG file works flawlessly.
    The whole procedure takes 5 min and 2 reboots.
    Remember - after you run Intel Matrix Storage Manager it will add the rest parameters
    (that are not in the REG file) into the registry and all will be OK.

Cheers
    GA-X48T-DQ6 [rev: 1.3], Bios F6e (replacement of GA-EP45T-UD3P [rev: 1.0])
    Q9550 (E0), Zalman CNPS9500 Cooler
    2x2GB Kingston HyperX [KHX13000D3LLK2/2G] 1.7V DDR3-1333 @7-7-7-20
    Gainward Bliss 8800GT, 2x1TB HDD Samsung SATA-2, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W PSU

I just installed this board and got my DVD RW drive in SATA1 and HD in SATA 4. Is this ok or do I need to change them around for better performance?
    Also I have not installed the SATA driver. Should I still install it even though I already have installed Vista 64bit?

Comers, your guidance i superb! Got the ahci drivers to work with no problems. But my goal was to enable raid to, somehow this isnt still working. I was in belief that they were somehow connected. So what am i missing here (except for my own braincells)?

This far i ve done these steps:
    1. copied the file IaStor.sys and put it in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ (the file was downloaded from intels website latest matrix storage manager.)
    2. made the ahci.reg file with altered device id, ran it
    3. enabled the ahci mode in bios
    4. ran the gigabyte intel driver install package (fyi; the 25.5 Mb package, after unzip it consisted two executables, i used the one thats higher up in map hierarhy which was somewhat bigger in size about 22.5 Mb)

(that is NOT the smaller intel matrix storage manager package while using this under #1)

That was what i did. Ahci seems to work fine, at least windows boots with this enabled, still dont see my two seagate drives in explorer, though.

If i enable raid in bios, and use control-i to configure raid, the computer will start bluescreening again.

Thx,

and anyone please..

Sorry I never used RAID and got no experience with it.
    Following the common logic it shoul require only iaStor.sys to boot.
    So in TXTSETUP.OEM I found this line:
    iaStor_ICH8RICH9RICH10RDO = "Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller"
    and down below:
    [HardwareIds.scsi.iaStor_ICH8RICH9RICH10RDO]
    id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104","iaStor"
    Therefore you'll need DEV_2822.

First try AHCI REG with DVD_2822, change in BIOS to RAID and rerun initial iata_cd.exe (22.4MB one)
    which is identical to IATA85CD.EXE downloadable from intel. I guess the one in MSM8 is an older version.

If you get BSOD it might be possible to configure RAID from Intel Matrix Storage Manager itself. So boot back to AHCI mode and see what it will offer you. Maybe there you'll see your hard diks. If so configure your RAID from there.

If it's not working then you'll need need different REG file in order to do same trick for RAID system. Try to google for such REG file.
    Gainward Bliss 8800GT, 2x1TB HDD Samsung SATA-2, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
    I just installed this board and got my DVD RW drive in SATA1 and HD in SATA 4. Is this ok or do I need to change them around for better performance?
    Also I have not installed the SATA driver. Should I still install it even though I already have installed Vista 64bit?
    Since you've got the nice bios option to enable native sata support for
    Sata 0-3 connections, I would connect all optical devices to ports 4-5.
    and keep 0-1 for my fixed sata hard disks and 2-3 for my esata connections. This way you could benefit even in pure IDE mode.
    AFAIK most optical DVD-RWs work in pure IDE mode so there is no need to waste the sata0-3 ports for them.
    Some people say the benefit from AHCI mode is little but I beg to differ.
    To check this you'll only need to run torrents and do some copy/paste of large files at the same time - you wont see that nasty 'disk overloaded' message in uTorrent for example. This is where NCQ feature will make the difference. And of course having HotPlug of your esata is invaluable.
    Now you could have powerfull cpus and better memory so at the end your sata hdds will bottleneck your system performance.

Hi tomasai,
    I've managed to find solution for you:
    How to enable AHCI/RAID mode without reinstalling windows (P35/ICH9/ICH9R) - Page 3 - HEXUS.community discussion forums
    First try the 'Start=0x0' trick and see if you have your 2 disks visibile.
    Otherwise copy the big REG entry for both AHCI and RAID.
    Hope you'll be fine now.
    Last edited by Comers; 04-21-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Its fine now, Comers. The previous post solved my problem, though it may already been solved earlier (after enabling ahci drivers - that is, thanks to you). Obviously im a bit rusty, after running component management in windows, i got my harddrives to show and run.

Thanks a bunch, C. I owe you at least two beers if youre in Stockholm, just post a note!

Cheers,

/T

Nice tomasai,
    Same if you come to Cyprus :)
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Comers View Post
    Since you've got the nice bios option to enable native sata support for
    Sata 0-3 connections, I would connect all optical devices to ports 4-5.
    and keep 0-1 for my fixed sata hard disks and 2-3 for my esata connections. This way you could benefit even in pure IDE mode.
    AFAIK most optical DVD-RWs work in pure IDE mode so there is no need to waste the sata0-3 ports for them.
    Some people say the benefit from AHCI mode is little but I beg to differ.
    To check this you'll only need to run torrents and do some copy/paste of large files at the same time - you wont see that nasty 'disk overloaded' message in uTorrent for example. This is where NCQ feature will make the difference. And of course having HotPlug of your esata is invaluable.
    Now you could have powerfull cpus and better memory so at the end your sata hdds will bottleneck your system performance.
    ok thanks
    Done that and noticed no diff in speed of file transfers. Still only get 15-20 on transfers between partitions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information