Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45T-UD3P SATA/IDE chipset question

Default GA-EP45T-UD3P SATA/IDE chipset question

I installed GBB36X driver but under xp hardware devices it shows JBM36X driver is used. I thought this was weird and downloaded the latest JMicon driver and my windows starts to lag in loading screen. I panicked and did a full reinstall of xp and loaded in all drivers from the Gigabyte dvd and everything seems to work fine.

Though I'm still confused on somethings below.

1. Which driver should I be using for SATA and IDE?
    2. Which driver should i be using for IDE dvd rom?
    3. What is ACHI mode (I think my HD is capable of 3.0G/s transfer rate) and how to enable without setting up RAID. Do I need to use RAID in order to turn on ACHI mode?
    4. With the onboard GBB36X driver my DVD rom shows SCSI and not running under IDE which makes windows hang whenever I put in any dvd in the drive.
    5. Consider all of the above items. What should my BIOS settings and latest drivers be if I'm only using 2 SATA HD's in SATA2 (non RAID) and IDE dvd rom.

I would like to set this system correctly and not have to reinstall windows (3rd time already) because of driver and bios setting issue.

Thanks for any help.
    Q6600 2.4G Quad Core @ 3.0GHz Vcore 1.385V
    GA-EP45T-UD3P Mobo rev 1.0 MCH@1.2V
    Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 2x2G @ 1.6V
    Antec P190 w/ 650W and 550W Dual PSU's
    WD Raptor 74G 1.5G/s 16MB buffer 10000rpm
    Samsung 250G 3.0G/s 16MB buffer 7200rpm
    MSI R4850 512MB
    Windows XP Pro 32bit SP2

Reggie is offline Junior Member

Default Re: GA-EP45T-UD3P SATA/IDE chipset question

Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB SATA 10K rpm 16MB Hard Drive
    Max. External Transfer Rate: 150 MB/s or 1.5GB/sec
    Capacity: 74 GB
    Rotational Speed: 10 000 rpm

This isn't a 3.0GB/s transfer rate drive.

You can use ACHI mode or RAID, not both at once. For XP you can load the ACHI driver with a floppy using the F6 method or it can be added if you make your own burned XP installation disk. You would also need more than one hard drive for RAID.

ACHI enables some features on new model hard drives that might give a slight improvement over non-ACHI mode. I don't think the 74GB Raptor uses these features.

If your using two hard drives, a RAID 0 would be maximum about 139GB, a RAID 1 would mirror the other hard drive and have a capacity of the 74GB's. If you using the two hard drives separately, you don't want RAID.
    Last edited by Reggie; 03-26-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You need to tell use what all drives you have, and what type and then we can advise BIOS Settings, tell you where to connect the drives, and what drivers you need to load.

I can tell you that you will need to do another install because you loaded all the drivers on the CD, which is not needed and will mess things up.

I also advise you to go directly to the Gigabyte site and download all the latest drivers as the ones on the CD are old. Then after you tell us the info I asked we can advise you of what and how you need to do things.

Here is your driver page >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver - GA-EP45T-UD3P (rev. 1.0)

If I understand you correctly you have ONLY 2 SATA Hard Drives, and one IDE DVD Drive right? If so, you do not need to load any drivers during a XP install

Connect your Drive you want to be the OS to the first Yellow port, this is Intel SATAII Port 0 (SATAII 0), then connect your storage/second SATA Drive to the next Yellow port (SATAII 1)

Then connect your IDE Drive of course to the IDE Cable, on the end of the cable, with the drive jumpered as master.

These would be your BIOS Settings for a NON RAID Setup >>>

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Enabled
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Then the only drivers you need to download and install are the LAN, Audio, and the Intel INF Chipset Drivers. That is all you need

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You need to tell use what all drives you have, and what type and then we can advise BIOS Settings, tell you where to connect the drives, and what drivers you need to load.

I can tell you that you will need to do another install because you loaded all the drivers on the CD, which is not needed and will mess things up.

I also advise you to go directly to the Gigabyte site and download all the latest drivers as the ones on the CD are old. Then after you tell us the info I asked we can advise you of what and how you need to do things.

Here is your driver page >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver - GA-EP45T-UD3P (rev. 1.0)

If I understand you correctly you have ONLY 2 SATA Hard Drives, and one IDE DVD Drive right? If so, you do not need to load any drivers during a XP install

Connect your Drive you want to be the OS to the first Yellow port, this is Intel SATAII Port 0 (SATAII 0), then connect your storage/second SATA Drive to the next Yellow port (SATAII 1)

Then connect your IDE Drive of course to the IDE Cable, on the end of the cable, with the drive jumpered as master.

These would be your BIOS Settings for a NON RAID Setup >>>

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Enabled
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Then the only drivers you need to download and install are the LAN, Audio, and the Intel INF Chipset Drivers. That is all you need

Reggie is offline Junior Member

I checked the specs for the 74GB Raptor that Newegg is selling. It indeed supports native command queuing (NCQ). You would need the AHCI driver.
    If you make a floppy disk to use F6 during installation of XP, just choose the AHCI driver for ICH10R when prompted.

The Serial ATA (SATA) controller has three modes of operation. Your system may not have all three options, depending on the motherboard manufacturer and model. The three modes are as follows:
    • IDE mode - no AHCI, no RAID
    • SATA mode (sometimes called AHCI mode) - AHCI enabled, no RAID
    • RAID mode - AHCI enabled, RAID enabled
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge)

Configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Advanced Host Controller
    Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to
    enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and
    hot plug.

Driver From Gigabyte:
    2008/09/15
    Intel ICH9R/ICH10R Driver (Preinstall driver)
    Note: Press F6 during Windows* setup to read from floppy. (For non-VISTA operating systems)

:
    :

The newer WD740ADFD supports NCQ, but the older WD740GD supports TCQ:-

Do Western Digital Serial ATA hard drives support NCQ or TCQ?

From above FAQ:-
    TCQ and NCQ are slightly different variations of Queuing and are not interchangeable. A hard drive that supports TCQ will not perform Queuing when attached to a controller that support NCQ (and vice versa). For a detailed explanation of TCQ please visit http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2579-001076.pdf
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Thanks for the feedbacks guys.

I am using the Samsung HD252HJ (supports NCQ) with win xp os in it and raptor 74g as gaming hd. I was messing with the bios setting and i turned on AHCI mode for the intel sata chipset and the system just restart on it's own 10 sec after loaded into windows. So i changed it back to disable and now windows boots fine.

I suppose I'd need to reinstall windows in order to set my HD to AHCI mode (even w/o using the RAID setup)? How much performance gain will i benefit if i get another Samsung HD252HJ and set it as RAID 0? Will this setup run faster if i install my games to the raid 0 config compare to just using the raptor on its own?

I would like to hear your opinions on this matter as I have no prior experience with RAID setup.
    MSI R4850 512MB
    Windows XP Pro 32bit SP2

Bump for whoever has experience with RAID setup. I would like to know whether or not it's worth the upgrade as I can always get a matching HD for RAID 0. I've also updated system info in my sig.
    MSI R4850 512MB
    Windows XP Pro 32bit SP2

yes it worth raid. I have 3 36gig raptors running on the same mobo and its fast. load up times kick ass!

After some research on the forum it looks like its impossible to run both RAID 0 and non-RAID HD's on the Intel ICH10R chipset. Best is to have RAID on Intel chipset on port 0 and 1 while Gigabyte chipset can be used for any HD.

My question now will be what's the best configuration for my setup?

WD Raptor 74G 16MB SATA1 1.5G/s 10000 RPM
    Samsung 250G 16MB SATA2 3G/s 7200R PM
    WD 200G 16MB SATA1 1.5G's 7200 RPM

Right now for testing purposes I have the 250G and 200G in RAID 0 combining 150G stripe capacity. I am loosing out roughly 300G of HD capacity and that the WD is only SATA1 1.5G/s speed. Is it better to buy another 74G raptor and put it in Intel RAID0 and have 250G and 200G running in Gigabyte controller (IDE mode)?

What would you guys suggest?
    MSI R4850 512MB
    Windows XP Pro 32bit SP2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information