Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New memory causing instability

Default New memory causing instability

Motherboard: GA-MA790X-UD4
    Bios: F2
    CPU: AMD 64X2 7750 Kuma Black @ 2.7
    RAM: 4 x 2048 OCZ 1066 (OCZ2P10662G)

I just upgraded from 4 x1gb DDR2-800 sticks and now I'm getting some random crashed and some games crashing back to the desktop. The old RAM ran fine for a month on this board before I upgraded.

OCZs website says the correct settings for this RAM is 5-5-5-18 @ 2.2v.

As you can see in the pic below I went into the bios and set these timings, but for the voltage all it asks you is overvoltage contol in +.1 increments. Is the default 1.8v and you work your way up from there? Also that would mean I have to use +.4v to get it to 2.2v and that is one of the red values. Will going over the recommended limit cause a problem?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: New memory causing instability

Yeap, +0.4 would be 2.2V, you have the correct idea there. 2.2V is not always what is needed though, ram spec's are just the amount allowed under warranty. Some will need the full amount, and some will not, but generally not. If you do run 2.2V I advise you have a fan Directly on the ram as that is VERY HOT. If you are running just at the rated speed you will likely be fine with 2.1V, maybe 2.15 if that errors, just keep in mind 2.2V is very hot, this would be especially true with 8GB of it

The BIOS settings are Red to remind you of what you are doing and that damage can be done. Although your ram is spec to 2.2 so if you fry it you can RMA without issues, I would still try 2.1 first. You may end up needing 2.2 though, but if you do please use a fan

I am sorry, but I do not have very much knowledge about AMD, but I do know when you add ram on any board you need to add memory controller voltage (Northbridge, not sure what it would be called in your board).

And you will need to raise a setting in the subtimings, not sure of the specific name for AMD Boards. It is the setting that will have the options of 127ns, 195ns, and 327ns. You should start with 327ns and if that is fine try 195ns and if it fails then go back to 327ns

I have the same board and your better off going to OCZ's website for help as the moderator's there are familar with AMD products and can give you the timings and RMA help if necessary. Takes about a day to get a response.

OCZ Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is the response I got from OCZ for the same board and 4 gigs Reaper 1066 (OCZ2RPR10664GK) with a Phenom II X4 940.

"in the DRAM timings section, set 5-6-6-18, tRC 26, use tRFC for (all dimms) set to 195ns. From there test at 1066Mhz speed. If that does not work test each ram module individually."

They didn't tell me the voltage to use but I assumed it was 2.1 volts (+0.03).

Unfortunately the timings didn't work for me as I found I had one bad stick of memory and had to RMA the pair. Still waiting to get the new memory.

New RAM causing instability - OCZ Forum

After starting that thread at the OCZ forum I was told that this MB doesn't support 4 sticks at 1066 and that I should just set the RAM to 800mhz and OC the HTT and NB to work faster and it will basically do the same thing. Does anyone have any tips on doing that?

kick is offline Senior Member

Saw the thread u linked.It just said 4 sticks of 2 G arent supported at 1066 in general.You would think there should be some kind of warning on the mem.
    It sounded like what they were saying is it it probably wont run 1066 with 4 sticks but u might get 900 or 1000?
    Im not an amd user either btw ,just that the nb functions /memory interface is on the chip like the new i7s
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

I'm working on it now. I also want to OC the CPU to 3.0 or 3.1. But most of the threads I read on that say to leave the bus at 200 and just work with the multiplier. I know the RAM won't make it to 1066. But if I can get the CPU to what I want and just have the RAM tweaked to the best performance possible I'll be happy with that.

This is what I got up to last night by reading some posts and using references of what settings other users used to get to the numbers I'm looking for. But how do I know these are the optimal settings? I feel like there are a lot of option in the bios that I don't know what they are.

Thread Information