Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-UD3R repeatedly cycles power

Unhappy EP45-UD3R repeatedly cycles power

I'm having a problem with my EP45-UD3R in which the system briefly powers up (no vid), then powers down, pauses, and repeats the cycle until the power supply is switched off. During the power cycle the CPU fan twitches but does not start. I've read a few other threads here and tried some things but none have worked. Here's the test history...

Initially the board was running fine in the case with 1 2GB RAM stick, vid card, and hard drives. Had Vista64 loaded as well. I had also run Memtest 86+ trying each of four RAM sticks in Slot 1. When I tried booting Memtest with two sticks in 1 & 3 I got tons of mem errors right away. That's when I realized I had failed to test a single stick in the other slots. Started cycling through them and that's when the power cycle issue occurred.

I tried back with one stick in Slot 1. I tried pulling the MB and testing on a table with just one stick, Vid card, and power connections. I rotated slots/sticks used and still the same issue. I also tried a CMOS reset/overnight battery removal. Tonight I'll try a different vid card and I also will try different RAM that is in a known-working system.

I do not have a spare CPU to test with and the sytem does not get as far as a BIOS screen so I can't view the BIOS settings.

Other than the second vid card and alternate RAM, are there other things I could be doing to test? If those tests fail, is a motherboard RMA the best course of action?

Thanks,

Marco

Default Re: EP45-UD3R repeatedly cycles power

This is standard Gigabyte behaviour when they don't like something. Try reseating the video card, and trying memory that is known to work.

If that fails, leave the battery out and unplug the power supply (don't just shut it off). Go back at it a few hours later and it should work. My P35-DS3 did this twice in the first three months that i had it, and this did the trick. Hasn't happened since, and it's been more than an year.

You are having the same issue I am having with not being able to run in dual channel, which others seem to be reporting on daily.
    I am thinking you may need to RMA.

Here is my thread/story for reference: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep45...cks-ram-30024/
    Gaming rig:
    XP Sp3
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R bios F7a beta rev 1.0
    Q9550 GO OC'd 4ghz(471x8.5) with tuniq tower
    1 stick 2gigs G-Skill PI 8800s b/c this damn board won't run both sticks
    eVGA 8800Ultra Vanilla w/backplate--650core/1127mem/1654shader
    (1)500gig seagate 7200.10 main storage
    (2)320gig seagate 7200.10 sata extra storage
    lite on 20x dvd-burner sata
    corsair hx520 psu
    antec 900 case

Yeah, if only i could. I happened to have did a little something that invalidated my warranty. :) I used to run CPU that had its heatspreader taken off. To seat the cooler properly i had to remove the retention system, and i can't really put it back on.

Anyway that's been done months ago, and i don't care about the warranty since the board is fine. It DID run dual channel with my old RAM that i just sold two days ago (yes, with all 8GB no problems), it just doesn't with the Corsair. It's Corsair's fault, not Gigabyte's.

Well, except that now it won't run single channel at all. I haven't tried the other vid card yet. I also realized I have totally different RAM from another system I could swap in as well and a speaker from another case (this one doesn't have one) to see if I'm getting any beeps.

Quote Originally Posted by clo007 View Post
    You are having the same issue I am having with not being able to run in dual channel, which others seem to be reporting on daily.
    I am thinking you may need to RMA.

Here is my thread/story for reference: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep45...cks-ram-30024/

If it's just power cycling you won't get any beeps. Anyway try the video card first.

Well, tried new vid card and RAM (both known working from another system) and no joy. Will pull the battery overnight and leave it off power and see what happens tomorrow.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll RMA the board.

You may want to try reseating CPU. Also make sure all cables are plugged in firmly.

Thread Information