Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OC on a EP43-DS3L, Q6600, OCZ PC2-8500 2x2 GB

Default OC on a EP43-DS3L, Q6600, OCZ PC2-8500 2x2 GB

I recently built a computer composed of the following specs:

Q6600 @ Stock 2.40Ghz
    Gigabyte EP43-DS3L Mobo
    Radeon HD4870
    OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    Latest BIOS (F9a)

I would appreciate any and all advice about overclocking my ram a little bit and my cpu to 3.0 ghz.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Mason

Default Re: OC on a EP43-DS3L, Q6600, OCZ PC2-8500 2x2 GB

There are lots of good guides on the net about overclocking quads. A good Q6600 may do 3GHz on stock volts, but not all will.

To get you started:

Performance Enhance to Standard
    DRAM Timing to manual, use the values recommended by your memory manufacturer

Increase the FSB till the frequency reads 3GHz, then drop the DRAM Ratio so the RAM runs at stock clocks or lower. Set voltages to manual, up the Vcore, VTT (FSB Voltage) and MCH Voltage by one notch, set DRAM Voltage to the recommended spec by your manufacturer.

This configuration should be at least bootable. If you want it higher, test 3GHz first, then go up in 10MHz FSB increments.

Once you're in Windows test stability with Orthos (small FFTs test for CPU, Blend for memory, you might have to run two instances of Blend to test all the RAM). 10 minute runs are enough for testing between tweaks. If it fails or reboots, up the VTT and MCH first, then try Vcore. Don't exceed 1.45v VTT/MCH and make sure your CPU temperatures are under 70C in Orthos (measure with CoreTemp). When you're happy with your settings run Orthos again and make sure it passes at least 3 hours.

When you have reached the desired CPU frequency you can try tweaking the RAM.

PS. I honestly hope you don't have the stock cooler on that quad.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 03-28-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to go try this out in a few minutes.

I managed to get myself up and running @ 3ghz last night by simply making the cpu frequency 333 with a 9x multiplier and i just set the DRAM ratio so it would be at the stock 1066.

I have a few questions though.

In the advanced bios menu (i think that was the name of the menu, correct me if i am wrong) there were settings for something like Enhanced C1E Halt, EIST, and Thermal Control. Should i leave these enabled?

Also, on the DRAM Performance Enhance, what does this do exactly? Is it good/bad and should i just leave it at standard even after the OC?

Also, I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 for my Q6600.
    PS. On my ram there is a sticker that reads,"5-5-5-15 @ 2.2". I'm assuming that's what you meant by the manufacturers settings?

I'm going to shut down now and post the results of the info you gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by MasonBlaq View Post
    In the advanced bios menu (i think that was the name of the menu, correct me if i am wrong) there were settings for something like Enhanced C1E Halt, EIST, and Thermal Control. Should i leave these enabled?
    Disable C1E and EIST. Those are the SpeedStep controls, they automatically lower your CPU speed when it's not doing intensive tasks. They bring instability when overclocking, and they're only useful on laptops anyway.

Also, on the DRAM Performance Enhance, what does this do exactly? Is it good/bad and should i just leave it at standard even after the OC?
    It messes around with the timings. It's basically an auto overclock. When you've got standard RAM (of the type that works at 1.8v CL5), and you're running stock, it makes things a bit faster. With high performance RAM or overclocking it only brings trouble. Leave it on Standard and forget about it.

Also, I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 for my Q6600.
    PS. On my ram there is a sticker that reads,"5-5-5-15 @ 2.2". I'm assuming that's what you meant by the manufacturers settings?

I'm going to shut down now and post the results of the info you gave me.
    That cooler is alright. And yes, that's what i meant by manufacturer settings. It means you should apply 5-5-5-15 timings and set RAM voltage to 2.2v.

I have tried everything you've said, but i am still unable to get past the bios loading screen without it restarting on me. I was somehow able to get it up and running last night @ 3ghz, so i know it's possible.

I've narrowed down my problems to the "CPU Host Clock Control" option. It's set to disabled by default, and when i set it to enabled in order to set my cpu clock, it just wont boot. I have tried loading the "Optimized Defaults", saving, rebooting, and then changing only the CPU Host Clock Control to Enabled, and it will not boot at all. Perhaps this is because my F9a BIOS is considered beta on the gigabyte page? Should i downgrade to F9?

PS. I'm currently running stable on the "Optimized Default."

Again, thanks for the help
    Mason

Update:

I was finally able to get everything up and running.

Everything shows up fine in CPU-Z, but why does it say my ram is at PC2-6400? It should be at PC2-8500

Edit:

After a reboot, i was back to square one. I'm again unable to run it at the settings provided.

Edit2:

After updating my BIOS to F9c, i am still unsuccessful.
    Last edited by MasonBlaq; 03-29-2009 at 08:10 AM.

Well, after multiple unsuccessful tries, i'm only left to hope that someone can give me detailed instructions and information on how to achieve my overclocking goals.

PS. Current stable settings:
    CPU Clock Ratio: 9x
    CPU Host Clock Control: Disabled (enabling this seems to make my computer unable to post at all)
    CPU Host Frequency: 266 (i need to reach 333 at 9x in order to get my 3ghz)
    PCI-E: 100Mhz
    C.I.A.2.: Disabled
    All Advanced Clock Controls: Defaults
    DRAM Performance Enhance: Standard
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.): Auto
    DRAM Timing Schedule: Auto (1066mhz)
    CAS:5
    tRCD:5
    tRP:5
    tRAS:15

CPU Vcore: 1.29-ish (one notch up from the 1.2875)
    CPU termination: 1.20 (one notch up from 1.10)
    CPU PLL: Auto
    CPU Reference: Auto
    MCH Core: 1.30 (one or two notches up from the auto)
    ICH I/O: Auto
    DRAM Voltage: 2.2v (manufacturer default)
    CPU Enhanced Halt (c1E): Disabled
    CPU EIST: Disabled

And that's pretty much every thing i've set in order to get to the stable state i'm at right now. I want to push my cpu to 3.0ghz--other than that i'm fine with my ram being at stock pretty much.

Any and all help/advice is welcome and will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,
    Mason

Only changing CPU Host Control shouldn't hurt anything, there's something else being changed when you do that.

Anyway, from your current setting i can say, more Vcore, more VTT. Oh, and set CPU PLL and CPU Reference to Normal instead of Auto - that might be your source of trouble.

How much more VTT and Vcore? 1 or 2 notches?

Also, i know it doesn't make sense that changing the CPU Host Control would cause problems, but i've narrowed it down to that. I set the optimal defaults, saved & exited, rebooted, and then changed only that setting to Enabled. Upon saving and rebooting, it fails every time after i set it to Enabled. Any clue as to what this means?

Again, thanks for the helpful replies,
    Mason

Edit:

Again, i have tried what you recommended and i am still unsuccessful. any clues?
    Last edited by MasonBlaq; 03-30-2009 at 06:23 AM.

Gigabyte boards have a tendency of undervolting the CPU - the voltage set in BIOS appears higher than it really is. Up the Vcore untill you get 1.35v measured by CPU-Z, and see if it works. Try 1.3v VTT, for 3GHz i don't think you're gonna need any more.

Enabling CPU Host Clock Control gives manual control on a few more settings - check everything carefully before proceeding. There might be a critical setting that gets thrown off when you do that, especially look for Static tRead value aka tRD, aka Performance Level. Set this to 8 or 9 if it's any lower (lower value = faster but can be unstable, you're not likely to get lower than 8 with 1066 ram). Also switch timing control to manual, set the default values you see in white on the left (5-5-5-15 etc) but set them manually.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information