Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-X48-DS4... AHCI Mode Won't Work

Default GA-X48-DS5... AHCI Mode Won't Work

Hi All,

A few months ago, my Asus NF m'board failed and since this was the second Asus failure coupled with really poor Tech. Support, I decided to go back to Gigabyte.

However, that old Asus mobo used to allow the HDDs to run in AHCI mode (my preference) without any problems but since transplanting everything on to my new GA mobo, I can't get AHCI mode to co-operate whatsoever. I don't use a RAID array, just a pair of SATA2 320GB 7200.10 discs with one being dedicated as a System Drive and the other used solely for Data. All I can do, is operate the drives in IDE mode, nothing else works.

I've run the Seagate Seatools diagnostic tests on both drives and neither indicates the existence of any faults. So, where do I go from here? Does anyone have any suggestions or a plan of attack that I could embark upon?

Something else that stopped working a few days ago, was the on-board LAN1 NIC. Nothing I do can convince this port to work. I moved my LAN over to the LAN2 port and this is working fine; go back to LAN1... Nothing. While it was working before with no indications of an impending problem, it just spat the dummy and wouldn't work between shutting down the night before and starting up the next morning.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction to get these things sorted out... Would be most appreciated

Cheers,
    Mal.
    Last edited by Dimal; 03-28-2009 at 11:31 PM.

Default Re: GA-X48-DS4... AHCI Mode Won't Work

Did you install the chipset drivers from the CD or the downloaded ones from Gigabyte's site? I run osx86 and too boot I need AHCI. I have a GA-EP45-DS3R and it absolutely wouldn't work in Windows without installing the ICH10R chipset drivers. I slipstreamed a custom XP cd with SP3 and the chipset drivers so I could install them using F6 during Windows XP install since I didn't have a floppy...

Okay I got a bid wordy there. What you need to do is check Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI or something similar and make sure it is not just the default stuff...it must say your specific chipset in there for AHCI to work. It may have ICH7 or something and your new board might be ICH10 (NOTE: I didn't check specs on either board).

If you aren't up to date there are ways to make it work without re-installing Windows...HOWEVER...those ways didn't seem to work for me. I think it was something I was doing wrong. But there are ways to update it to the current chipset needed for AHCI.

Hope this helps a little.

Unhappy Re: GA-X48-DS4... AHCI Mode Won't Work

G'day "strick",

Thanks for replying mate :) ... Much appreciated.

The X48 boards use the ICH9R SB mate and when I went through the process of doing a "Repair" installation of XP(Pro) SP3 plus all current updates, I used a Floppy with the latest version of the Intel Drivers. The weird thing is, is that the AHCI Mode works fine with the HDDs connected to the JMicron ports, but not the ICH9R ports.

I even completed a Clean Install of XP, again using the Floppy at F6, but as before could not get the drives to work in AHCI mode. Currently using the F8a BIOS for the DS5 but I notice that there is a 'c' version of this BIOS available now, so might give that a go and see what happens. Perhaps someone using this board at the moment might be able to throw some light on what might be happening and how to overcome it.

Do you have any ideas on this problem I mentioned "strick"? ...
    "Something else that stopped working a few days ago, was the on-board LAN1 NIC. Nothing I do can convince this port to work. I moved my LAN over to the LAN2 port and this is working fine; go back to LAN1... Nothing. While it was working before with no indications of an impending problem, it just spat the dummy and wouldn't work between shutting down the night before and starting up the next morning."

Hope my new board isn't going on the fritz.... :(

Anyway mate, all the best and thanks again,

Cheers,
    Mal.

First. I would revert to F7 bios from F8a. I believe this may have something to do with your problems. Revert...then let me know what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by strick View Post
    First. I would revert to F7 bios from F8a. I believe this may have something to do with your problems. Revert...then let me know what happened.
    Hi again "strick" Well mate, I didn't even get a chance to do anything as when I tried to turn the PC on yesterday morning it was as dead as a Dodo. Basically, the PSU flicks on and off very quickly when I hit the PC's "Power On" button, as if the PSU is shutting down trying to protect itself. Anyway, to cut a long story short, it seems there is a 'short' on or in the motherboard somewhere that's causing the PSU to shutdown straight away. I tried another PSU (a brand new Corsair 1000W unit) but this does the same thing. So, from switching the PC Off the night before and trying to turn it On the following morning, something has failed. Never gave any hint of imminent failure before I switched it off as everything seemed to be working as per normal (apart from the AHCI and LAN1 problems). Have been in contact with the vendor from whom I purchased it and the board will be RMA'd back to Gigabyte, they won't swap it out for a replacement. This will translate into a couple of months wait no doubt so not a very good outcome. Anyway mate, thanks for all your help, much appreciated. Bye for now, Cheers, Mal.

Thread Information