Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EX58-UD4P Won't boot and POST.

Default EX58-UD4P Won't boot and POST.

Hello ppl, I'm new here and i apologize if this has been disscuss before but i am really stress and confuse. Today i went to Fry's Electronic and bought my stuff from the new rig. What i bought was an EVGA X58 mobo, i7 920 cpu, patriot viper 6gb 1600mhz tri channel kit, and the evga gtx 260 video card. When i put the rig together i couldn't get it to boot or post at all so i did some research online and ppl are having problem with the board as well so i took the board back and exchange for the this mobo the ex58-ud4p. I put is rig together and the same thing happen, no post or boot. Now i thought that it's the cpu so i went back to the store and exchange for a new cpu got back and put it together and same thing happen, no post or boot but this time i have like some short beep probably 11 or so on beep. Could it be the ram? could the ram cause the rig not to boot? because i see nothing on my screen. The only thing i haven't gone and exchange are the RAM and the video card. Please help cause i'm giving up my hope and i have never had this kind of problem before. Thanks a lot.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: EX58-UD4P Won't boot and POST.

Did you connect the ATX_12V (8 pin connector) to your mobo? Even with the main 24 pin connector hooked up, your system won't boot if the ATX connector isn't properly connected. Don't forget that your video card probably requires 1 or 2 power connections. I know that I'm stating the obvious, but even the best of us has a momentary lapse.

It sounds like you've overlooked something. Double check all your connections. Re-seat your memory and all plug-in cards

Does anything light up when you power on? Do the fans spin?

It will help if you create a signature (similar to mine below) that lists the major components (with part numbers) in your system.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Did you connect the ATX_12V (8 pin connector) to your mobo? Even with the main 24 pin connector hooked up, your system won't boot if the ATX connector isn't properly connected. Don't forget that your video card probably requires 1 or 2 power connections. I know that I'm stating the obvious, but even the best of us has a momentary lapse.

It sounds like you've overlooked something. Double check all your connections. Re-seat your memory and all plug-in cards

Does anything light up when you power on? Do the fans spin?

It will help if you create a signature (similar to mine below) that lists the major components (with part numbers) in your system.
    Yes, I've connected the ATX_12Vx2 8 pin connector to the mobo and i've also re-seat everything i could think of. I even swap the graphic card and tested out the ram one by one just to see if it boot up but it remain the same, nada. I've spent more that 8hours trying to troubleshoot it, so my last thing i'll probably do is go back to frys and exchange for a different RAM brand. Anything what i should do before exchange the ram? Anyone else say it's the ram? One more thing, if there's no ram hook up to the mobo will it still show a post on the screen or just a blank screen? Thanks for the reply guys, i really appreciate it a lot.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

In the mobo user manual, continuous short beeps indicate a power error.

Let's see, you have replaced the mobo and the cpu. You currently are using the original ram, but will replace it soon. Do you have a substitute power supply that you can try?

Are you testing your system with the assembled mobo mounted in the computer case? Any time you build a new system or perform major upgrades, its best to leave the mobo out of the case. Sometimes there can be a short circuit when mounting the mobo in the case.

The following might help:
    <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CJIMZY%7E1.JLS%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTem p%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    1) Turn your computer off.
    2) Unplug the external power cable from your power supply (psu).
    3) Press and hold the front ON/OFF switch for 5 seconds.
    4) Wait 5 - 10 minutes or longer.
    5) Reconnect the power cable.
    6) Turn on your computer and immediately enter the bios (if possible). If you can't enter the bios, repeat steps 1 -5 several more times. If the problem remains, you'll need to try clearing CMOS and possibly removing the mobo's battery.

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->These steps will often clear up problems with booting issues.

Memory/mobo compatibility issues are all to common. I would check the forum to see which memory brands/models work best with your mobo. From personal experience, the Mushkin forum provides fast support and answers to your questions. Some memory manufacturers have a toll free phone # where you can talk directly to a tech representative, where you can find out which memory modules will work best with your system.

What bothers me is that you have the same problem with 2 different mobos and 2 cpus. Don't rule out the possibility that some of your other hardware might be causing the problem.

Let us know how you eventually make out.
    <!--[endif]-->
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thanks for the reply. Somehow yesterday morning when i switch all the ram to different slot and was switching the 12v 8 pins around than turn the sucker on and BOOM it started up. I still don't know what exactlyi did to make it work but o well.
    Last edited by 1clicc; 03-31-2009 at 08:10 AM.

I had exactly the same problem, took about an hour to work it out.
    If you put the memory in the blue slots not the white ones it causes this error (which the manual says is power).
    If you RTFM it does say for 3 sticks of memory you have to use the white slots, not the blue ones. :)
    Just thought I'd post to save anyone else the pleasure of working it out.

BTW, the hardware store must love you... returning loads of stuff because you can't read the manual and put the memory in correctly (yeah I did the same but at least didn't take stuff back).

Thread Information