Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EX58-UD5 - OC Frustration

Default EX58-UD5 - OC Frustration

First, Hi there, I'm new here :)

Second, I've been a Gigabyte supporter for a long time, I do custom builds for friends and always go with GB. However the issues I'm having with this mobo are making me consider RMA'ing this one for another brand.

My setup:

Core i7 920
    EX-58-UD5 with bios ver F6e
    12gb OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600
    Radeon 4870HD

The system runs great at stock settings. The first thing I did was move my memory voltage to 1.64 and the multi to 12x to ensure my ram would run at 1600, which it does.

My goal was a 4ghz OC.

First I went and set vcore to 1.4, QPI to 1.42, PLL to 1.88. I disabled turbo, cia2, c1e, c3/c6/c7, eist, and all the other power saving stuff. I dropped the multi to 14, unlocked the blck and rebooted. System posts, boots fine to windows.

I reboot, and start upping the blck to find a max. I lock QPI at 32x, memory at 6x, uncore at 12x (later 13x). I get it up to 208 or something (more than I need) and it boots fine. I drop it to 200, up the multi back to 20x. No Post. The system will either not post and hang or will restore backup bios and boot with an overclock error.

It seems like ANY OC i do that results in speeds over the factory 2.66 results in no post. The system hangs, in most cases i have to manually hit reset.

Today I was directed to the official gigabyte guide to 4ghz on the ci7 920. I followed the guide to the T. No post.

I upped voltages, pushinv vcore to 1.5 and QPI to 1.52. No post.

I need help =/
    Last edited by wylker; 03-29-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Default Re: EX58-UD5 - OC Frustration

Oh I'm a total noob to OCing btw.

bump?

kick is offline Senior Member

Well Im a total noob on i7 and ddr3 .post yer full bios settings perhaps?
    All i can say is that in recent net forum checking people have been complaining that newer ddr3 ram needs very loose timings to overclock,but will hit higher clocks on the looser timings.
    nb the resident tech guru is on vacation /product testing/net down for a couple of days.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Ok I finally got a stable OC @ 1.400 vcore, 1.64 QPI and +.3 to basically everything else.

edit: ram is at 1.64v also

Bclk: 180
    Multi: x20
    QPI: x32
    uncore: x17
    Mem: x8 gives 1440mhz @ 7-7-7-20

So I'm not nearly as ready to throw the board out as I was. Temps are ok but I need to do some work on my TRUE before I worry about temps.

I really want to get this to a stable 4ghz without turbo. Right now if I push this any further it will not post. Literally going to 185 bclk fails to post. The odd thing is that I've checked the LCD on the mobo and it hangs at 6F which my book says is "Set up floppy devices". I don't even have a floppy. I tried disabliing all the FDD support in bios but it didn't fix anything.

What next?

I too am a noob on oc'ing, esp. core i7 but as a previous poster already pointed out, the resident tech guru is unavailiable. Did you try like 8-8-8-28 or some such on the memory (like kick suggested)? Maybe try oc'ing with only one memory module installed.

I've tried timings of 9-9-9-24 but nothing looser than that. I need to do some stuff in the case tonight so I'll likely try it with only 3 dimms in.

wylker,

Try these settings (my post from another board)- I think you well be very happy with the results:

I have spent more hours (months) than I care to admit trying to optimize my Core 920 settings for normal 24/7, all voltages below warning levels, enclosed case with normal ambient temperatures (33c) for my water cooled system that is OCCT (1 hour) and Prime (24 hours,large FFTs) stable. These setting can also be used with someone with stock fans and can also be run with CIE and EIST modes enabled.

Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58 Extreme
    BIOS: F6i

CPU: x21 (x20 with Turbo on)
    BCLK: 195
    QPI: x36
    UnCore: x18
    Memory: x8

CPU VCore: 1.3625
    VTT: 1.335
    CPU PLL: 1.88
    Memory: 1.64
    All other voltages: Auto

Memory is Manual (Quick) with normal stock settings for my OCZ 1866

MultiThreading is Off

I have tried tweaking these numbers many, many times ( and yes, Ive had it to 4.400 Prime stable with Turbo and I've gotten it stable at 4.2 with Turbo and Multithreading on) but all other settings require memory multiples at x6, or cause unstability or the temps are in the high 70's or low 80's.

With the above settings and my ATI HD 4970 x2 overclocked to 772/970 (warning - do not try these Video Card settings on air) I have gotten 3DMark scores of (Performance):
    Overall: 16,257
    GPU: 15,577
    CPU: 18,705

By the way S3 works perfectly, no multi boot issues, my SATA hard drives run with AHCI on the Intel connectors while my dual SATA optical drives run off the GSATA connectors in the IDE mode - all with no problems.

Like many others, I have had my share of problems and frustrations. I will be the first to tell you that you can produce higher stable settings but it will require much higher temps and way underclocking your memory.
    <!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Thanks for the settings, but I still get the same problem. My system will not post and my mobo LCD shows 6F. joe123987 how much ram do you have installed?

wylker,

"The '6F' error code appears to signal a problem when the motherboard attempts to 'Initialize floppy controller'. However, this is the error that you will get if the motherboard is having problem with the memory modules."

I have OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000)
    in the "white slots" (2nd, 4th, and last slot - as you look at the motherboard).

Since I have the same memory as you in a megabyte board I can only think to try to boot with one module only (in the 2nd slot). Try this with stock Bios settings. If that doesn't work then try to boot with one mondule only in the 4th slot (I had to RMA my first motherboard because the 2nd slot was broken). If that doesn't work then try updating the BIOS, select "optimized settings" and try to boot.

By the way did you use every one of my settings - it is important that Turbo be on in order for the ratios to be correct, From your previous email I am surprised that you were "stable" because those settings would not normally work with x8 memory setting. Remember that for a completely stable system your ratios should be a follows:

DRAM speed must be 1:2 ratio or less to Uncore speed
    Uncore speed must 8:9 to QPI speed (that means .888333 and not .888889).

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information