Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to setup my RAM timings and maybe OC my CPU???

Default How to setup my RAM timings and maybe OC my CPU???

Hi all. Can you please help me setup my memory timings and maybe OC my CPU?
    Have been reading here and tried few things myself but no success. I have never tried to OC a CPU, not the current one or earlier. So I need detailed instructions. If you tell me to increase my FSB and assume I know that I need to increase the CPU voltage too, don't assume because I don't know. :)
    My main wish is to make my Corsair 6400C4 ram do it's job at 4-4-4-12 as supposed to, not as currently 5-5-5-18. Also, because my CPU is 2.5GHz and CPU-Z reports CPU/7 divider (don't know where that is coming from) my memory is reported at 716MHz and not 800MHz.
    If it helps the memory to run at 800MHz I wouldn't mind OCing the CPU to 2.8GHz, assuming the CPU/7 divider stays the same in that scenario.
    I have:
    MA78G-DS3H rev1.0 latest F6 BIOS
    Athlon x2 4850e
    Corsair XMS2 CM2x2048-6400C4 (but each module is reported with model number CM2x1024-6400C4, 2x1GB kit and different from the kit part number, very confusing from Corsair)
    My BIOS is at default except that I have set memory clock to Manual to DDR 800, hoping that would make it run at 800MHz and not 716MHz, but it didn't.
    I am attaching BIOS pic so you can see what do I have as options.
    I would appreciate recommendations for DRAM Timings, DDR Voltage (should be up to 2.1V according to Corsair), changes to CPU clock, HT Link Freq, CPU voltage, NB or SB voltage, all of this if necessary...
    PS. It doesn't let me upload my pics coz already have them in another thread, but no one replied. This new post is a bit clearer (I think). Please take a look at the pics here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/my-c...8g-ds3h-31218/
    GA-MA78G-DS3H rev1.0 F6; Athlon x2 4850e 2.5GHz; Corsair XMS2 CM2x2048-6400C4 2GB kit; Seagate 250GB SATA2 16MB

Default Re: How to setup my RAM timings and maybe OC my CPU???

OK, here is what I got so far (hopefully it can help someone with less experience like me):
    VERY IMPORTANT: It seems in he GB BIOS (and maybe others) the frequencies are not as stated, but they are only multiples of the CPU Freq (default 200MHz). So, when the HT Link Freq says 1000MHz that is actually only multiple x5 of the 200MHz. If you raise the CPU Freq it will also raise the HT Link Freq (not sure if this is good or bad). For example, if raising the CPU Freq to 250MHz you can actually set the HT Link Freq to 800MHz because it will not work at 800, in fact it will set a multiple of x4 which with your new CPU Freq of 250MHz is giving you the 1000MHz exactly.
    Similar for the DDR Freq. If you set it manually to DDR 800 it doesn't mean anything, that's why my 800MHz memory was working only at 716MHz coz of the CPU/7 divider and my 2.5GHz cpu. 2500/7 = 358MHz, double data rate = 716MHz.
    For AMD cpu (like mine) the divider is actually calculated by CPU Ratio x 0.5 x DRAM Ratio and that number is rounded to the first higher integer. The DRAM Ratios is what you set with your manual choice of freq as follows:
    DDR 800: 1.0
    DDR 667: 1.2
    DDR 533: 1.5
    DDR 400: 2.0

In my default situation, the cpu ratio was 12.5 and DDR Freq set to 800MHz which translates: 12.5 x 0.5 x 1.0 = 6.25 rounded to first higher integer = 7
    That is the CPU/7 divider for the memory freq.

Taken all this new info into account here is what I did just now (don't forget you need to hit Ctrl + F1 on the main screen in BIOS to uncover some advanced options in later screens):
    - set HT Link Freq to 800MHz (actually to x4 multiple)
    - set CPU Ratio to x11
    - set CPU clock to manual to 250MHz
    - set DDR Freq to Manual to DDR 667

My factory default numbers: Athlon x2 4850e at 2.5GHz, Corsair 800MHz working at 716MHz.
    Current numbers: 4850e at 2.75GHz, HT Link at 1GHz (as default), Corsair 800MHz memory at 786MHz.
    Using the same program, Everest Ultimate -> Tools -> Cache and Memory Benchmark, the new setup is giving me 15% improvement on the memory numbers (all, read, write, copy, latency) and 10% improvement on the L2 cache (probably due to 10% CPU OC).
    All of the above is with default voltages, left on Auto and with Cool'n'Quiet enabled as default.
    It's nothing extreme but I wasn't looking for any extreme OC, just to improve the system a bit and most important get the memory to work close to the 800MHz spec.
    I still can't make the memory work at 4-4-4-12 (it's a 6400C4 version) so it's on 5-5-5-15 right now after the OC (it was 5-5-5-18 before, changed by itself after CPU OC). The memory I can't figure out myself, tried once but it began acting weird: you hit Restart in windows and the PC shut down not starting itself again; you press the power button and it doesn't get to POST, no beep or any other beeps, just blank screen, you have to keep hitting the power button to get to successful POST eventually.
    Because of this I just left the memory on default at the moment, I only managed to improve its freq with the CPU OC.
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    Cheers.
    GA-MA78G-DS3H rev1.0 F6; Athlon x2 4850e 2.5GHz; Corsair XMS2 CM2x2048-6400C4 2GB kit; Seagate 250GB SATA2 16MB

OK, here is what I got so far (hopefully it can help someone with less experience like me):
    VERY IMPORTANT: It seems in he GB BIOS (and maybe others) the frequencies are not as stated, but they are only multiples of the CPU Freq (default 200MHz). So, when the HT Link Freq says 1000MHz that is actually only multiple x5 of the 200MHz. If you raise the CPU Freq it will also raise the HT Link Freq (not sure if this is good or bad). For example, if raising the CPU Freq to 250MHz you can actually set the HT Link Freq to 800MHz because it will not work at 800, in fact it will set a multiple of x4 which with your new CPU Freq of 250MHz is giving you the 1000MHz exactly.
    Similar for the DDR Freq. If you set it manually to DDR 800 it doesn't mean anything, that's why my 800MHz memory was working only at 716MHz coz of the CPU/7 divider and my 2.5GHz cpu. 2500/7 = 358MHz, double data rate = 716MHz.
    For AMD cpu (like mine) the divider is actually calculated by CPU Ratio x 0.5 x DRAM Ratio and that number is rounded to the first higher integer. The DRAM Ratios is what you set with your manual choice of freq as follows:
    DDR 800: 1.0
    DDR 667: 1.2
    DDR 533: 1.5
    DDR 400: 2.0

In my default situation, the cpu ratio was 12.5 and DDR Freq set to 800MHz which translates: 12.5 x 0.5 x 1.0 = 6.25 rounded to first higher integer = 7
    That is the CPU/7 divider for the memory freq.

Taken all this new info into account here is what I did just now (don't forget you need to hit Ctrl + F1 on the main screen in BIOS to uncover some advanced options in later screens):
    - set HT Link Freq to 800MHz (actually to x4 multiple)
    - set CPU Ratio to x11
    - set CPU clock to manual to 250MHz
    - set DDR Freq to Manual to DDR 667

My factory default numbers: Athlon x2 4850e at 2.5GHz, Corsair 800MHz working at 716MHz.
    Current numbers: 4850e at 2.75GHz, HT Link at 1GHz (as default), Corsair 800MHz memory at 786MHz.
    Using the same program, Everest Ultimate -> Tools -> Cache and Memory Benchmark, the new setup is giving me 15% improvement on the memory numbers (all, read, write, copy, latency) and 10% improvement on the L2 cache (probably due to 10% CPU OC).
    All of the above is with default voltages, left on Auto and with Cool'n'Quiet enabled as default.
    It's nothing extreme but I wasn't looking for any extreme OC, just to improve the system a bit and most important get the memory to work close to the 800MHz spec.
    I still can't make the memory work at 4-4-4-12 (it's a 6400C4 version) so it's on 5-5-5-15 right now after the OC (it was 5-5-5-18 before, changed by itself after CPU OC). The memory I can't figure out myself, tried once but it began acting weird: you hit Restart in windows and the PC shut down not starting itself again; you press the power button and it doesn't get to POST, no beep or any other beeps, just blank screen, you have to keep hitting the power button to get to successful POST eventually.
    Because of this I just left the memory on default at the moment, I only managed to improve its freq with the CPU OC.
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    Cheers.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kantona View Post
    @lsdmeasap, in the few days you were "away" I was reading around and trying things.
    Please see my thread for the latest changes I've done: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/how-...-my-cpu-31292/
    The basic thing is that the 6400C4 memory was working as 5-5-5-18 by default at 1.95V (it should at 1.8V don't know why, voltage set at Auto).
    I also noticed that the memory is working at 357MHz instead of the 400MHz because the AMD cpus use a divider, in my case for my Athlon 4850e it's CPU/7 and the 2.5GHz cpu was giving 357MHz memory freq. I also read about that and OCed my cpu to 2750MHz (x11 ratio with 250MHz fsb, left the HT at 1GHz by setting x4 multi instead of the default x5) and by actually using DDR 667 for the memory that allowed me the divider to be CPU/7 again giving me 393MHz mem freq.
    After this the memory itself has changed to 5-5-5-15 also at 1.95V and at 1T (not 2T as before).
    But any attempt of mine to set it manually to 4-4-4-12 upping the voltage to 2.05V (closest I can get to manufacturer 2.1V without going over it) is not stable.
    Please take a look at the thread and reply to it. Thanks in advance.
    Well it may not work at 1.95V at CAS 4, is that the spec? I'll go have a look

1T is better, sounds to me like you just need to increase your FSB a little more so your ram runs at 400 instead of 393 and you will be set. Then change the timings manually to 444-12, do keep in mind if it is not great ram then more voltages may be needed to keep running 1T using 444-12

Sorry, I read as I reply!

So what, you cannot set 2.1V? Why not, set 2.15 then and you will be fine. What do you get for 2.05 actual anyway, it could be less then that and that is the issue. So either check what you get for 2.05 in the PC health section or set 2.15 if you do not have 2.1 option and then reboot and check PC health section and see what that setting gives you

You may have to run 2T to keep 444-12, it is all in the quality of the ram at hand

About the ddr voltage: I can only move in 0.1V steps and plus it seems my board has a 0.05V offset. When I had it set to 2.1V (+0.3V) both BIOS PC Health and Everest reported ddr voltage 2.16V but that didn't make it stable with 4-4-4-12 too. Also, manufacturer spec sheet says 2.1V so I don't know if 2.16V can damage it. If you go one step down, -0.1V again with the offset (my assumption) both BIOS and Everest report the voltage at 2.05V. That is the closest I can get to 2.1V without going over.
    So it didn't work at 4-4-4-12 at 2.05V or 2.16V.
    When I say it didn't work, it might boot and work correctly but there are two main problems that start:
    - if you hit Restart in windows it actually shuts down the PC not starting it again
    - when you hit the power button, the DVD-RW led blinks few times as usual but then it should go off and you hear the POST beep, that doesn't happen with memory changes done, the DVD led just keeps blinking, screen is blank and no beep no POST, after few turn off-turn on with the power button you can get a successful POST but I went in BIOS right away and changed back to default (auto) settings meaning ram goes back to 5-5-5-18 (now with this cpu OC to 5-5-5-15)
    But if the 1T is giving me advantage over the 2T I might leave it like this. As I said, the Everest memory benchmark already showed me 15% improvement in the numbers after the OC.
    I was happy reaching 393MHz mem freq compared to the 357MHz earlier so I have not considered changing the 250MHz fsb right now.
    Last edited by kantona; 04-01-2009 at 07:00 PM.

You may have to set 2T then, not all ram will runa t 1T and be stable

We seem to have misunderstanding. When I was setting manually to 4-4-4-12 I was using 2T, I never tried 1T.
    Now after I did the cpu OC to 2750MHz, I noticed in Everest and CPU-Z that the ram adjusted itself to 5-5-5-15 with 1T, still on 1.95V. All voltages (cpu, nb, sb, ddr) are set to auto in bios because I wasn't after an extreme OC anyway. Just to up my mem freq as close to 400MHz to get more out of the mem. The ram set itself to 1T and it's working OK at the moment, but at 5-5-5-15 by default settings.
    The instability I described was when setting up manually the memory.
    If it helps, here is what I found out on another forum about my memory, it's the exact model:
    Testing parameters for Twinx/XMS2-6400C4:
    Twin2x2048-6400C4 Data Sheet

Motherboard make and model: Asus P5WD2 or M2N32-SLI Premium/Deluxe
    Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:
    AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual
    CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz
    DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz
    PCI Express Freq: Auto
    PCI Freq: 33.33
    Performance Mode: Standard
    DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual
    SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T
    SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T
    SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T
    SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T
    SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5
    Write to Precharge Delay: 15 (If it's Listed)
    Command Rate: 2T
    DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 2.1
    Advanced voltage control
    CPU Vcore offset:_Disabled
    DDR2 Termination: 0.5x
    CPU to NB HT:____1.200V
    NB to SB HT:_____AUTO
    NB Core/PCI-E:___AUTO
    SB Core/PCI-E:___AUTO
    SB Standby core:_+1.500V

Output driver control
    CKE:______AUTO
    CS/ODT:__1.00X
    ADD/CMD:_1.00X
    MEMCLK:__1.00X
    Chipset Core Voltage: Auto
    All other settings are motherboard defaults.
    Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts

What I did:
    - set the basic timings to 4-4-4-12
    - set Row Cycle Time to 26T as per EPP settings (23T in JETEC)
    - set Write Recovery Time to 5T as per the data quoted above
    - set the ddr voltage to 2.0V effectively giving me 2.05V with the offset
    - all other voltages on Normal

That was it. And it was creating the issues stated above.

Do you have a setting with a option of 127ns, 195ns, and 327ns? If so, you may need to use 195 or 327 for 4GB. If you do, this could be the issue

You can see few bios screen shots here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/my-c...8g-ds3h-31218/
    No one ever picked up on that thread so I opened another one with further explanations. Now it is not allowing me to attach the same pics and I can't delete the older thread.
    Anyway, PLEASE NOTE: The DRAM Timings are NOT as on the screenshots. It is set on Auto. I selected Manual so the values can get highlighted for the purpose of the screen shot. Then I returned them to Auto.
    The pic will show you which options I can play with.
    Also note that the MIT screen shot was made before i OCed the cpu so few things there have changed as per my earlier posts.
    Thanks a lot.

Thread Information