Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: OC Q9400 with UD3R

Default OC Q9400 with UD3R

Hello all, I'm pretty noob on OC thingy. Recently I just upgrade my CPU E6600 to Q9400 and replaced the MB Asus P5N32 Deluxe with UD3R. The Asus board was broken for months already.

Anyway, here is my current system, taken from Everest:

Q9400, 2666 MHz (8 x 333)
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    System Memory 3072 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
    DIMM1: OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR10662G 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-13 @ 333 MHz) (3-4-4-10 @ 266 MHz)
    DIMM3: OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR10662G 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-13 @ 333 MHz) (3-4-4-10 @ 266 MHz)
    Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (256 MB)
    Audio Adapter: Creative SB X-Fi XtremeMusic/Platinum Sound Card
    Disk Drive: WDC WD6400AAKS-22A7B0 ATA Device (596 GB, IDE)
    I would like to OC this CPU to decent speed, not too much since I don't want to make it runs too hard, about 3.2Ghz is fine with me. I'm using the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 for the CPU btw.

Does anyone has a similar system and don't mind copy and paste their setting for me? Start with MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)? In the mean time I'm reading this thread but I really want to get the OC, too excited to wait! Thanks a lot in advance!

Default Re: OC Q9400 with UD3R

Well I don't have this cpu but I do have the same board. I could try to help you out with settings.

First, turn off speedstep, EIST, etc.
    Keep load line calibration off.
    Up the fsb around 10Mhz each time and run a stressing program like OCCT. <- I think you have to open 2 since yours is a quad core
    Test for about half an hour each if you just wanna find your max quickly.
    Manually set your voltage to something high, but in safe zone so around 1.3?
    Change your divider to 2.0
    and add some northbridge voltage/ southbridge <- read more on that somewhere.

Sorry I dont have my settings with me and about to go off.
    You can't really copy peoples settings since it's different for everyone.
    Also you need to spend a good amount of time on your OC. It' doesn't work just after 1day unless you have some experience.

Hmn, seems like it's not as simple as I thought.

I followed your first steps, disable EIST, CE1, and change min power from 5% to 100%, load line caibration off.

The next step is OCCT, I download it and have no idea what it is for, and how to use it.

Also, I read another forum from other user, they say: you need at least three: one for C2D's and Q's, one for your specific motherboard, and one for voltage and temperature management.

Would you explain to me what's C2D and Q? My guess is that these are software that run to check the comp and tell us the proper voltage setting? am I right? Thanks a lot!

kick is offline Senior Member

If you want the "fast" route to 3.2G
    1.save the bios settings you have now using the F11 key on the main bios screen.
    2.load and save optimum defaults then reboot and enter bios.
    3.then adjust to these settings and save.

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............:Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 401 (8x401=3.208)

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 401Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:100
    C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: 800mv
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: 900mv
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: ops
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: 0ps

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: Turbo
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Enabled prof1
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00B(maybe 2:00D)
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............:802
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Auto]

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Auto

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: Auto
    MCH Reference….…….0.760V...........; Auto
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: Auto
    ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: Auto
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: Auto
    DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: Auto
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: Auto
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: Auto
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: Auto
    Advanced Settings
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]

Leave the Eist enabled etc and everything else on auto.
    Im also assuming since you have 800 memory it has an epp(enhanced performance profile) for 800(400x2)etched on the memory.
    Thats what the mbrd will use to set the memvoltage and timings.
    One thing you will have to change is the cpu fan speed control to enabled.Otherwise cpu fan will run full speed all the time, and a couple of other things ,like boot order of devices etc but just the settings above in MIT should get you 3.2G ,using the memorys own profile etc and wont be a strain on components.
    Do use a temp monitotring utility such as coretemp/speedfan/realtemp etc tho,or all 3

Thats the fast n cheerful method.
    Any further overclocking of cpu/memory you will have to start entering your own values for voltages and memory timings.

I could post the settings I use if you feel like pushing your cpu/memory on a 7 multiplier,but what would be the point since you have x8
    Last edited by kick; 04-01-2009 at 02:29 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thread Information