Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ECC problem with GA-X48-DS4

Default Re: ECC problem with GA-X48-DS4

Quote Originally Posted by beltbraces View Post
    Tobatus, what happens when you run memtest86 and let it check all your memory addresses at least once before you boot into Linux? Do your errors go away like mine do?
    Sorry, but can't test that. My Gigabyte is at my server which is colocated and quite hard to access.

Running perl script that makes an array size of 6-7G in memory didn't make the errors go away.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by beltbraces View Post
    I don't have Windows installed. However, I tried setting up the Windows 7 Beta, and it seemed to work. But then Linux too works perfectly well; it just fills the logs with a constant stream of memory error messages. I don't know where to look on a Windows system to find EDAC errors logged, so I can't tell if the same thing is happening there.

What I really need is some genuinely bad ECC memory, so I could make sure that real problems are being logged, and then check to see that the same logs remain silent with good ECC memory...
    Sorry, still no reply from my guy I emailed yesterday, but on the 4/5 the contact I speak with almost daily will be back in the office so I should for sure know something for you guys by next week.

Sorry about the delay on this, so many posts here this got buried and I forgot all about it

To check logs in windows you would use the event viewer, that is in Administrative tools, event Viewer. You may need to customize the start menu and enable the Administrative folder as it is not on by default. Now, I am not sure where in event viewer you would find the errors listed, but I would suspect in the "Windows logs" Section then within the "Applications or Systems" Sections.

You may also bring it up by typing eventvwr.msc in the run box

I'll keep you informed on any info I get passed along to me on this issue, please do not let this get buried again and I will try to keep asking for you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    To check logs in windows you would use the event viewer, that is in Administrative tools, event Viewer.
    No messages about memory errors there, although I would feel more confident if I knew for sure that real memory errors would be reported.

By the way, if you are talking to someone about this issue, could I put in a wish list request? I am not aware of any (free) memory testing programs that know how to disable EDAC mode for the X38/X48 chipsets, which means that they may report good memory when in fact one bit is bad and the ECC memory is simply allowing the error to be corrected. It would be wonderful if the BIOS allowed me to turn EDAC mode on or off, so I could turn it off when running a memory tester and turn it on for normal operation of the computer...
    Antec P182 case, 4xNoctua 120mm fans at 5V for silence, Corsair VX550 PSU, Powerware 5110 700VA UPS with 100Ah battery, ASUS P5E motherboard at minimum voltages throughout except CPU, Q9550 CPU at 3.33GHz undervolted by 0.15V for silent air cooling, TRUE 120 CPU cooler, 6GiB KVR800D2E5 ECC RAM at 940MHz 5-5-5-15, 2xWD6400AAKS drives in software RAID1, DVR-216 DVD drive, EN8600GTSLN fanless graphics card, Samsung 215TW monitor, 64-bit Linux OS

Ya, sorry I am not sure IF errors would be reported in windows in that section or anywhere, I just assumed that would be where you find them if they are reported.

Can you ask your memory manufacturer, they for sure should be able to tell you if and where error reports would be in windows.

Yes, I will ask about that for you guys as well. Hopefully will have some answers on these issues for you this week. Of course we will have to wait on my contact to get back to me, then for the BIOS Engineers to get back to him, then back to us. So it may take several days, but I will find out what they have to say for sure.

And yes, I will ask if they can add an EDAC On/Off mode in a BIOS for you, if that is possible they will let me know.

Sorry again for the long wait on this issue!! Hopefully we will get something figured out on this for you this week

Can you ask your memory manufacturer, they for sure should be able to tell you if and where error reports would be in windows.
    OK, I tried asking Kingston (specifically about where Windows would report correctable memory errors) and got back the reply:
    Please confirm with motherboard manufacturer to see where you can check the log. Because different motherboard manufacturers will set the error log in the different place according to their design.
    I am guessing that Kingston are talking about some kind of error event log maintained in NVRAM on some motherboards? Otherwise I can't see that the motherboard could control where Microsoft stored the errors?! Anyway, I pass on the reply in case it makes more sense to anyone else than it does to me...
    Antec P182 case, 4xNoctua 120mm fans at 5V for silence, Corsair VX550 PSU, Powerware 5110 700VA UPS with 100Ah battery, ASUS P5E motherboard at minimum voltages throughout except CPU, Q9550 CPU at 3.33GHz undervolted by 0.15V for silent air cooling, TRUE 120 CPU cooler, 6GiB KVR800D2E5 ECC RAM at 940MHz 5-5-5-15, 2xWD6400AAKS drives in software RAID1, DVR-216 DVD drive, EN8600GTSLN fanless graphics card, Samsung 215TW monitor, 64-bit Linux OS

I'll keep you informed on any info I get passed along to me on this issue, please do not let this get buried again and I will try to keep asking for you guys
    I feel like I am pestering, and I understand that it is not your fault if Gigabyte takes a long time to reply to you, but is it time to unbury this thread again?

Lsdmeasap has been offline (or at least not active here) for a few days. He has a satalite net connection, and has had problems with it in the past.

He may just be on holiday though, nobody knows.

He has a system of replying in sequence to unread posts and I'm sure he'll post here when he returns.

Unfortunately I know nothing about ECC RAM etc, so I can't help there. Just thought you'd apreciate hearing that you're not being ignored.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Sorry for the late reply here guys!! I took on double shifts this week at work to try to catch up on some bills, otherwise things were about to get very hairy around here.

I have gotten a reply back from my contact at Gigabyte, sorry it took so long he was out of the office the last few weeks, and again last week. He said he has passed this info along to the BIOS engineers and they ARE looking into it.

He said he will be back in the office Monday so I should be a more in depth reply this week once he has got back in the office and caught up with things. Hopefully the BIOS guys will have something for you all by then

OK guys, sorry for the very long and overdue wait!!

The BIOS engineers would like you to test this beta BIOS with NON ECC Ram, and then with ECC Ram as well. They have removed ECC Support because they think the EADC errors may be caused by other hardware or issues.

Here is the Beta BIOS they would like you to test, hopefully you guys can download from this site without issue. If you have trouble downloading let me know and tell me another preferred site you would like the file hosted at.
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Or
    http://www.filedropper.com/x48ds4-f2x_1

So both ECC and NON ECC Ram should not give you EADC errors now, if you do still get them then they need to further test things.

If you do still get them let me know, I will pass it along and they will get back to me on it.

Thanks guys, and again so sorry for the long wait in getting something moving on this.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-22-2009 at 11:53 PM.

The BIOS engineers would like you to test this beta BIOS with NON ECC Ram, and then with ECC Ram as well. They have removed ECC Support because they think the EADC errors may be caused by other hardware or issues.
    OK, done. Here are the results:

1. BIOS F3c with nonECC RAM: no EDAC errors reported
    2. BIOS F3c with ECC RAM: constant EDAC errors reported
    3. BIOS F3c with ECC RAM but after running a cycle of memtest86+: no EDAC errors reported
    4. BIOS F2x with nonECC RAM: no EDAC errors reported
    5. BIOS F2x with ECC RAM: no EDAC errors reported

So the new BIOS has indeed changed the observed behavior: there are now no EDAC errors being reported when using ECC memory.

However, I gather from your post that the F2x BIOS is not a fix that makes EDAC work properly; it is just that EDAC is disabled and so it makes no difference whether I use ECC or non-ECC memory with it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information