Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ECC problem with GA-X48-DS4

Default Re: ECC problem with GA-X48-DS4

I'm sorry to say, that I can't test this, because my gigabyte is at my co-located server and getting there is quite difficult.

But disabling ECC isn't quite what I hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobatus View Post
    I don't think Lsdmeasap was suggesting that this BIOS would be the final solution to the problem; it was just something the BIOS engineers wanted us to test to help them diagnose the problem.

Hopefully they will soon have another BIOS that gets rid of the errors while still enabling ECC support...
    Antec P182 case, 4xNoctua 120mm fans at 5V for silence, Corsair VX550 PSU, Powerware 5110 700VA UPS with 100Ah battery, ASUS P5E motherboard at minimum voltages throughout except CPU, Q9550 CPU at 3.33GHz undervolted by 0.15V for silent air cooling, TRUE 120 CPU cooler, 6GiB KVR800D2E5 ECC RAM at 940MHz 5-5-5-15, 2xWD6400AAKS drives in software RAID1, DVR-216 DVD drive, EN8600GTSLN fanless graphics card, Samsung 215TW monitor, 64-bit Linux OS

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by beltbraces View Post
    OK, done. Here are the results:

1. BIOS F3c with nonECC RAM: no EDAC errors reported
    2. BIOS F3c with ECC RAM: constant EDAC errors reported
    3. BIOS F3c with ECC RAM but after running a cycle of memtest86+: no EDAC errors reported
    4. BIOS F2x with nonECC RAM: no EDAC errors reported
    5. BIOS F2x with ECC RAM: no EDAC errors reported

So the new BIOS has indeed changed the observed behavior: there are now no EDAC errors being reported when using ECC memory.

However, I gather from your post that the F2x BIOS is not a fix that makes EDAC work properly; it is just that EDAC is disabled and so it makes no difference whether I use ECC or non-ECC memory with it?
    Thanks for your testing! I will pass this along to them and hopefully soon they will have a fix for you.

Ya they just removed the ECC Support from this Beta, so it was not a fix but a test, see below for more thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobatus View Post
    I'm sorry to say, that I can't test this, because my gigabyte is at my co-located server and getting there is quite difficult.

Tha's ok that you could not test, Beltbraces testing will be good enough for now I think.

What this beta was for was to test things and see if the EADC errors were indeed caused by Ram (ECC or non ECC) or not. The engineers seemed to think it could have also been caused by other hardware or devices.

Quote Originally Posted by beltbraces View Post
    I don't think Lsdmeasap was suggesting that this BIOS would be the final solution to the problem; it was just something the BIOS engineers wanted us to test to help them diagnose the problem.

Hopefully they will soon have another BIOS that gets rid of the errors while still enabling ECC support...
    You are right, this was in no way a final or intended to be a fix, only a test to be sure what was causing your EADC errors. Thanks for your time in testing and I will pass this along so it may help them to get a fix going.

I will keep you guys informed of the progress with this as soon I am notified.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You are right, this was in no way a final or intended to be a fix, only a test to be sure what was causing your EADC errors. Thanks for your time in testing and I will pass this along so it may help them to get a fix going.

I will keep you guys informed of the progress with this as soon I am notified.
    That was three weeks ago now. Is there any sign of progress yet, or is it time to give them a nudge?
    Antec P182 case, 4xNoctua 120mm fans at 5V for silence, Corsair VX550 PSU, Powerware 5110 700VA UPS with 100Ah battery, ASUS P5E motherboard at minimum voltages throughout except CPU, Q9550 CPU at 3.33GHz undervolted by 0.15V for silent air cooling, TRUE 120 CPU cooler, 6GiB KVR800D2E5 ECC RAM at 940MHz 5-5-5-15, 2xWD6400AAKS drives in software RAID1, DVR-216 DVD drive, EN8600GTSLN fanless graphics card, Samsung 215TW monitor, 64-bit Linux OS

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Sorry!!

Nudge has been sent, I'll let you know.

In the meantime, did you try the latest Beta to see if things are the same or not?

F3b, of course this may not have any of the progress included that the guys who were working on this issue made?
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

Any updates on this? I have a CAD workstation with a P45 motherboard and I need to change over to a platform that supports ECC memory due to system stability issues with the non-ECC setup I'm currently running. I was going to get this Gigabyte motherboard, but am having second thoughts at this point. I'd be buying it solely for ECC support... without that there's no reason to change from my current setup.

Thanks!

-Rodney Sparks
    Creative Spark Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by creativespark View Post
    Any updates on this? I have a CAD workstation with a P45 motherboard and I need to change over to a platform that supports ECC memory due to system stability issues with the non-ECC setup I'm currently running. I was going to get this Gigabyte motherboard, but am having second thoughts at this point. I'd be buying it solely for ECC support... without that there's no reason to change from my current setup.
    I have no way of telling what Windows may or may not be doing with the ECC memory (my guess is nothing - the hardware silently correcting correctable errors, but the OS never warning you that there was any problem), but under Linux the GA-X48-DS4 currently fills the system logs with false memory errors - slowing the system down, wasting disk space for the logs, and making it hard to notice any real errors amongst all the false ones. I certainly would not choose a GA-X48-DS4 for a system that needed to work properly with ECC memory. Gigabyte's BIOS engineers have been aware of the problem since around the start of April, and it is now mid July, so either they can't work out how to fix it or they don't have enough staff to do the work. Either way I am not optimistic about seeing a fix now.

I ended up exchanging my GA-X48-DS4 for an ASUS P5E motherboard. Using all the same components it does not produce any ECC (EDAC) errors. My only complaint about the P5E was that it came in a box that mentioned 45nm CPU support, but with a BIOS that wouldn't boot with a 45nm CPU! I had to put in an old 65nm CPU so I could update the BIOS, and then all was fine. This probably wouldn't be an issue now; I think I got some pretty old stock of the P5E.

Yeah, I've got a P5E sitting in my Newegg.com shopping cart right now, along with two Kingston KVR800D2E6K2/4G 4GB dual-channel ECC memory kits. Thanks for the warning about the P5E's BIOS. Newegg moves so much stock that hopefully everything they ship is pretty new, so I'd be surprised if I end up with an old one. I think I'll get the RAM elsewhere though, because Newegg doesn't carry the CAS 5 stuff.

Thanks again!

-Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by creativespark View Post
    I think I'll get the RAM elsewhere though, because Newegg doesn't carry the CAS 5 stuff.
    I bought mine directly from Kingston (currently on promo at $54 per 4GiB kit) back when the CL5 ECC modules had just been released and nobody else had them...

Currently at $54, huh? I'll have to take a trip over there when I'm not on my iPhone... Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information