Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Temps - Linpack vs Prime

Default Temps - Linpack vs Prime

My system:

EP-45 UD3L
    Q6600 @ 3.42 (G0)
    G Skill F2-8500CL5-1GBHK x4

I am currently running it at 3.42GHz (9x380) and its stable (mainly thanks to this forum, thanks for all the guides!). I can run it at 3.6 GHz, but it gets very hot. So, my question.

I see people listing Prime 95 temp's as load temps, however, for me, I hit 57/58c in Prime, and 70 in Linpack (well, IntelBurnTest). If I bump the OC any more, Linpack makes the core's get way too hot (well, if it hits 72 I stop the test).

I have a Tuniq Tower 120 cooler on the CPU, and have decent airflow in the case.

What are other people's temps like comparing Prime vs Linpack? If I am under 60 in Prime, should I care what the temps are like in Linpack ? Encoding audio/video the CPU gets to about the same temp as what it does in Prime...

(Also, when I run it at 3.6 the vCore according to CPU-Z is only 1.31, so I could probably go higher if I didn't have heat issues). Short of going liquid, I guess there isn't a heap I can do about the heat...
    Last edited by ascl; 04-02-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Default Re: Temps - Linpack vs Prime

Linpack always gets the CPU hotter than anything else. Unless it gets over 80C you shouldn't worry, as you only run Linpack for short periods of time. Imo your temps are fine, 60C load under Prime is still alright for a Q6600.

Before going to water cooling you should consider lapping your CPU. I got my E6550 10C lower by lapping, and i didn't even get to a mirror finish.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 04-03-2009 at 04:27 AM.

So a split of 12c between Prime and Linpack is okay?

Thanks for the advice.

Chucko is offline Member

Yes, I typically see at least 10C difference between prime and Linpack on my Q6600.

Awesome, I'll stop freaking out at how hot it runs in Linpack then... but I will leave it at 3.42... 3.6 seems doable but linpack will hit near 80c, and thats too hot!

Thanks!

Thread Information