Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3P issues with BIOS, boot & ET6 (Q9550 & 4GB 1066)

Default EP45-UD3P issues with BIOS, boot & ET6 (Q9550 & 4GB 1066)

Kind of a newbie...it's been over 5 years since my last build. I had to do very little in the BIOS then with an ASUS board. Went with Gigabyte this time around.

Having some issues with the BSOD and boot failure issues. I think it's related to the BIOS auto settings being incorrect. I'm not a gamer, so I don't think I'll overclock. I looked and most threads for this setup are about overclocking. I'm going to try walking before running. At this point I just want the system to run stable as it should. Maybe after i get it going and image the drive, I'll tweak it some more. After some early advice, I looked and noticed the DRAM was undervolted and the CPU Host Freq was at 266 instead of 333. I also manually set the RAM timing to 5-5-5-15. But other than that, I don't know what things like are like (G) MCH Freq Latch, System Memory Multiplier, CPU and MCH clock skew, etc etc etc? I've seen some threads on here that appear to be monitored by some Gigabyte tech support...or at least some very knowledgable people (lsdmeasap). Please help.

2 other issues I've had are with the Easy Tune 6 and the SYS_FAN2. Vista asks for permission to continue with ET6 at every start up which is anoying. I've uninstalled it and will likely use a different utility to monitor temp and fan settings unless someone has some tips. Other issue is that the front case fan won't work in the SYS_FAN2 header. The header is 4 pin and the fan is 3 pin, but shouldn't it still work? Currently, it's hooked up to the PWR-FAN header.

Hardware:
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    Intel Q9550 Quad core (2.83GHz stock)
    Corsair HX620W
    Corsair DDR2 1066Mhz (2x2GB) PC2-8500C5D
    Sapphire HD4670 Ultimate
    WD velociraptor 300GB
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU cooler
    Asus DVD-RW

Software installed:
    -Windows Vista Home Premium OEM 64bit (SP1)
    -all important online updates and most recommended
    -Gigabyte drivers and utilites (from CD)
    -ATI drivers & Catalyst driver suite
    -Monitor Driver from CD
    -Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007
    -Microsoft Vizio 2003
    -Adobe Acrobat 7 Pro
    -Firefox 3.0
    -Google Earth
    -iTunes & Quicktime
    -HP photosmart driver and utilities
    Last edited by SFChief; 04-03-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Default Re: EP45-UD3P issues with BIOS, boot & ET6 (Q9550 & 4GB 1066)

Should also note that I'll be adding 3 more hard drives and a BluRay drive in the near future...hence the bigger PSU. The next size down didn't have enough SATA power connectors.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Most (but not all) 2x2gb memory modules require that (G)MCH voltage be set to a minimum of 1.20 volts, & possibly 1.22 - 1.24 volts. Some memory won't work with these settings, but they work fine when it is manually set to 1.05 volts. Start with 1.20 volts and see if this helps with the BSOD issue. If not, increase this voltage incrementally and try again. Your memory voltage should be manually set to it's rated voltage, usually 2.0 - 2.1 volts.

Some versions of ET6 have been buggy. The Vista nag screens probably have to do with Vista permissions. You can download the latest GB utilities from GB Taiwan. FWIW, the download speeds are much faster from their Taiwan site, the GB USA website is very slow. Speedfan, Everest, or HWmonitor are better for monitoring system temps, fan speeds, and voltages. The 12v monitoring in HWmonitor (V:1.13) still isn't correct, but eventually will be in a future release.

The SYS2_fan header powers my fans, but only at 45 - 50% of the fan's rated speed. Some fans don't do well with undervolting and may not spin up at all. One fan is rated at 1500 rpm and the other fans are rated at 1200 rpm. This could be a bug....err...I meant to say UDF (unintentioned design feature).

To help you get your system stable, download the generic bios template here and fill in your current bios settings. Also include a link to your ram's specs.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thanks Jim,

FYI...I ended up reinstalling Vista with just the essential drivers (Video, monitor, Gigabyte CD (LAN, USB, SATA, etc)). Am still having the same problems! I want a clean install and with this was I was able to tell if there were any issues with software. It HAS to be the BIOS settings.

I have the DRAM set at 2.1V and the timing ar 5-5-5-15 according to Corsair Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Memory Upgrades - Guaranteed Compatible Memory for your Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P from Corsair
    Even though I adjusted the DRAM voltage to 2.1V, I didn't how or if I needed to adjust the DRAM termination which is still at auto / 0.9V. Channels A & B are still set at auto which is 0.9V. My assumption is that they should be half of the DRAM voltage?

Not sure where to adjust the (G)MCH voltage. There's only a setting for (G)MCH Frequency Latch in MHz (currently set at auto). For MCH settings in voltage, there are the following set at auto:
    MCH Core......................1.1V
    MCH Reference...............0.76V
    MCH?DRAM Reference......0.9V

Thanks for the other utility tips too! I'll probably end up hooking up my front fan to the PSU...with 4 hard drives to cool, I want that thing spinning at top speed if needed.

Thanks for the link and template profJim. Here are my current settings:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8x
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.05
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.83GHz (333x8.5)

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 0
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 0

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: [Auto]
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: 333MHz
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.40B
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................5
    tRCD .........................................5
    tRP'...........................................5
    tRAS..........................................15

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first. Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................aut o
    tWTR..........................................auto
    tWR............................................aut o
    tRFC...........................................aut o
    tRTP...........................................aut o
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................auto

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................auto

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:auto
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:auto
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:1.23850V
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: 1.2V
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: 1.5V
    CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: auto
    CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< does not exist
    MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.2V
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< auto
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< auto
    I/O……………….....1.500V............: <<< 1.5V
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< 1.1V

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.0V
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< 1.0V
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< 1.0V
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< 1.0V
    Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [DISabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Enabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
    Last edited by SFChief; 04-06-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: updated BIOS settings after first Memtest run

Quick question...would it make a difference what slots the RAM is in?

I have them in the red slots 2 and 4 because of space between the CPU fan the the RAM. I could fit them in slots 1 and 3, but I like the spacing better in 2 and 4 if that makes a difference.

kick is offline Senior Member

It shouldnt make any difference,Some people find they "have to" use 2+4 cos 1 and 3 give errors.

edit:Sorry read back the rest.
    I dont use ET6 or 5 cos i think its mm "not the greatest";0

sysfan 2 is the only regulated fan header apart from the cpu fan( I think).
    My 3 pin fan connected to sys 2 will run 950-1200 rpm approx depending on sys temp .On the power fan header it will run flat out at 1800 rpm,which isnt too bad except it isnt super quiet.
    Make sure you have fan regulation enabled in bios.

Rack the system speed up a bit.In a sense thats why we are here . Otherwise we could all have bought Dells/packard bell etc.hehe tho they arent really that bad.
    If you dont "push the envelope" a little the system is going to be "old school" long before any theoretical lifespan reduction comes into it.
    mho^
    Last edited by kick; 04-04-2009 at 08:00 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thanks Kick...I'd like to overclock and from what I've seen here there's no reason I can't have my system over 3GHz and very stable. I think I've seen as least as high as a full GHz with the same MB and CPU...maybe even as high as 4Ghz?

However, I'm pretty frustrated just getting the system stable at stock speed...so I'll have to get there first. I have walk before I can run...or maybe crawl in this case.

When it's stable at stock, then I'm assuming there some kind of formula...for every A that you increase, you have to adjust B, C, D, etc by certain rates.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

MCH core should be set to 1.20 volts -- or possibly 1.22 or 1.24 volts. If your system won't boot with one of these settings, try 1.05 volts.

Sorry for the confusion when I said (G)MCH voltage.

Possible causes BSOD, freezing, or booting problems:
    a) bios settings
    b) memory slots used
    c) memory size, brand/model, number of modules, and/or speed, e.g. 2x2GB @ 1066 MHz
    d) other hardware problems

Memory stability testing & possible errors:
    Stability testing programs: Memtest86+, Prime95, OCCT, Orthos, Intel BurnTest
    Memtest86+ is run from a bootable cdrom or floppy. The other programs are run within windows.

Your memory will run equally well using channel A or B, IF the mobo memory system doesn't have any problems. When I built my system, I was concerned with the 1st memory slot blocking the air flow to the north bridge heat sink. This turned out to be a non-issue as my temperature readings are very good, and Iíve confirmed this with my laser guided Infrared thermometer (model#: Flash Gordon).

At this point, we don't know if your memory or your mobo is at fault.

Memtest86+:
    With 2x2GB, Memtest takes about 30 minutes to complete a full test loop consisting of 8 different tests. One test loop is not enough. It's best to run at least 6 - 10 loops, an overnight test is even better. A stable test is completely error free. If there are errors, you can tell which module failed by the memory address of the error. Their website has excellent documentation. It's possible that errors might "disappear" when you rerun the tests using different memory slots. Even if the tests are error free, you can still get errors when using the other stability programs. If the Memtest tests are error free, you can test the remaining memory slots using one or both memory modules. This technique can verify if one or more memory slots are defective.

Memory Speed:
    In some cases, underclocking your memory might "fix" the problem. Test with:
    CPU Host Frequency.............333 MHz
    System Memory Multiplier.....2.40B ==> _800 MHz memory speed
    ............................................2.66D ==> _888 MHz
    ............................................3.00A ==> _999 MHz
    ............................................3.20B ==> 1066 MHz

You should start at the lowest memory speed, test for stability and and then test again using the next higher memory speed. Note, I've omitted using the 2x multiplier test which would run your memory at 667 MHz.

Testing with ONLY 1 memory module:
    With only 1 module, your system might be fully stable. Unfortunately this doesn't tell us if it's a mobo or memory module issue. If you do this test, you should repeat the test with the other module. Some have performed this testing each module in each of the memory slots. (ugh!)

Testing with memory known to be good:
    Testing with another motherboard:

I hate trying to fix anything by swapping out components, but this sometimes is the only way to confirm or eliminate the problem. In some cases, RMA-ing the memory solved the problem using exact replacements. In other cases switching from brand X to brand Y (with the same ratings) fixed the problem. Memory might run perfectly on a brand X mobo, but still have problems on a different mobo.

Misc:
    Using OPTIMIZED settings often over-volts some of the settings in the bios. It's best to manually set the following voltage settings:

CPU Vcore <========= manually set this to the value shown in the bios
    CPU Termination <===== manually set this to the value shown in the bios
    MCH Core <========= 1.20 should work for you
    DRAM voltage <======= 2.0 - 2.1 volts should work, don't exceed your memory's max voltage spec

Change the following from AUTO to the value shown to the left in the bios:
    CPU PLL
    ICH I/O
    ICH Core

Mobo Fan Speeds:
    On my EP45-UD3P, the cpu_fan, sys_fan1, and pwr_fan headers run attached fans at full speed. The sys_fan2 runs my fans at only 45% - 50% of rated fan speed. Testing with 1200 - 1500 rpm fans yielded consistent results. Some fans that don't under-volt well might not run at all on the sys_fan2 header.

Bios version:
    In some cases flashing your bios to another version can sometimes fix memory issues. Conversely, with an updated bios, you might have to make some minor adjustments to your already proven bios settings. If you want to ensure that your system is still stable and that you won't have file corruption problems, rerun your stability tests.

Whenever you swap or install components, always:
    1) Power off your computer.
    2) Unplug the external power cord.
    3) Press and hold the front panel ON/OFF switch for 5 - 10 seconds.
    4) Take appropriate steps to eliminate electro-static discharge (ESD).
    5) Install the new components.
    6) Re-connect the external power cord to your psu.
    7) Start up your computer.
    8) Pray. (this is optional)

note: This is a general troubleshooting overview, and I've omitted important recommended bios settings, such as:
    -Performance Enhance
    -Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
    -C.I.A.2
    -C1E, C2/C2E, C4/C4E, & EIST

For additional information, check out overclocking stickies.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

THANKS ProfJIm for all the tips and especially your time!

I can't seem to make use of the stability tools though.

• I can't get Memtest86+ to work. It's been a long time since I've made a bootable CD and I don't have a floppy. I tried the USB, but I can't seem to get it to boot to that either. Even though I've set the BIOS to boot from everything but the hard disk...it STILL goes to the hard disk.
    • I don't have the time or patience to use Prime95 and the interface doesn't seem that informative to me. I downloaded it and ran it and couldn't really tell what was going on.
    • downloaded and installed OCCT too. Like the interface but it sadi that it could not test my RAM since I wasn't using an Nvidia card?
    • Orthos would only test dual channels...not quad core support...didn't bother downloading
    • Intel Burn Test scares me! Read some of the reviews and am not excited about the temps that the CPU goes through. It also seem s to focus more on the CPU than the RAM. Is that true?

I swear I'm about to lose it! One of my main drivers for a homebuilt was the case...I'm doing a custom case with a custom paint job. And HPs and Dells use crappy components, so I wanted to build my own again. It was not this hard last time I built a machine. It was like LEGOs. I figured, this time, I'll put one together and after I've imaged it and backed it up, I'd play with it and OC it a little...the next step in PC building. This expereince is turning me off from home builts!

Help me get back from the dark side!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information