Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-UD3P Video Problem

Default EP45-UD3P Video Problem

Hello everyone, I'm new around here, and sort of new to computers in general I guess. Just thought I'd clear that up! Anyways, onto the problem!

Here's my specs:
    Intel E6600 @ stock
    4GB G.Skill DDR2 800mhz
    Vistiontek 512MB HD 4870
    Corsair TX 750W PSU
    Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    250GB Internal HDD
    Gigabyte 3D Aurora case

After installing my new UD3P motherboard, and putting all the components together, my video signal seems to be acting up. There's like this green corruption and flashes everywhere. Whenever I start up the computer, I can hear a single beep -- but I have no idea what it means. Everything else is fine. It boots up, and I can even navigate around on the desktop. Of course, it doesn't look nice though :p

At first I thought it might be the video card, so I uninstalled it and swapped it for a spare I have, but the same problem happened with that one.

Did I get a borked board or did I overlook something simple? Something incompatible? Any help would be appreciated!

Default Re: EP45-UD3P Video Problem

page 117 of the manual states that one long beeps means that the graphic card is not properly installed. Check that it is and that the connections are clean.

However, I got a long beep upon start up for a build I'm working on now and it was because the CPU fan was connected to the header on the motherboard and when the computer started up, the fan lagged a little bit and set off the alarm in the BIOS. After disabling it, I got one short beep for a successful boot.

My CPU fan is indeed lagging a bit when I hit the power button. It's hooked up to the CPU_FAN header though. Was it a setting in the BIOS you disabled? If so which one?

More info on the beep: I believe I am hearing one short beep. It doesn't seem like a relatively long one.
    The manual says "1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error" which means, at least when I interpret it, one long beep followed by two short beeps. Am I wrong? Perhaps it means 1 long beep or 2 short beeps?

Checked the connectors for the video card and reseated it again. Same thing.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm kind of new to computer stuff. Especially BIOS settings, but I'm eager to learn!

Yeah, my CPU fan is hooked up in to the same header. The default is to disable the fan warning, but I enabled it in the PC health Status section of BIOS. Then I got the long beep. I went back and disabled it and was fine.

Your issue is video related though and you say it's a short beep (successful boot). I'd make sure you have the most recent drivers for your card (from the mfg website), the CD versions are often a revision to two behind.

I'm by no means a BIOS expert and am learning myself, but I'd make sure drivers and connections are correct and up to date before tweaking the BIOS. I myself am waiting for some BIOS advice in another thread!

You're not using a manual KVM switch to share a monitor between 2 computers, are you?...that can make the display look less than stellar.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Can you try a different video cable?
    Are you using a DVI video cable? Is the cable properly plugged in?
    In the bios under ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES, is INIT DISPLAY FIRST set to PEG (the topmost PCI-E slot)?
    What brand/model/type of monitor are you using?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Good news guys, I guess it was just a faulty DVI cable. That surprised me, it was working just fine yesterday. Not quite sure how that happened, but I swapped it out for a new one and it displays just fine now!

Sorry for the hassle I guess. Stupid mistake on my part.
    Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!

Thread Information