Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: GA31M-ES2L<-- Is this OC able?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA31M-ES2L<-- Is this OC able?

Quote Originally Posted by aggiefan View Post
    I'm not sure what I want to do yet...Like you guys said, I'm pretty much tapped out with the 7500 at just under 3.8ghz. I think I want to try something out in the 4.5-5ghz range, like the i5 2500k. I'm still waiting to see what can be had with AMD. They have some decent performance and OC potential but it seems they require nearly double the wattage right now which is unfortunate. I don't want to rush it though, I want it to last me at least 2-3 years and will probably keep the budget to under $1k in parts, the cheaper the better. I want to go as fast as possible (performance over numbers on paper) without requiring a 2nd mortgage or my own private cooling tower to cool the CPU lol...
    I'd say look at Z68 or Z77 then, even though AMD might be able to clock as high on some models, the computing performance doesn't match up at all, like 4.5Ghz Intel blows away 4.5Ghz AMD. And AMD isn't very hot in the memory dept. either.

No, took around 105-107, can't remember offhand....BIOS is 1.3875v, 1.36v at idle/1.344v load via CPUZ. Tried upping core voltage 1, then 2 notches more in BIOS but didn't make a difference except raising temps....
    Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L (doesn't like to OC high FSB chips)
    Cooler Master Hyper 212+ HSF
    OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400 800mhz SLI Ready 2x4gb 5-4-4-15 2.1v
    EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
    CoolerMaster Centurion case
    OCZ 500w modular PSU

Quick question for you guruessssss....I've upped the PCI to 108 (my max for safety) just to see what the PC will do. If I'm not running hard core programs, would passing Prime95 with smallFFTs suffice for stability even if it crashes with IBT? Just curious. With a PCI of 108, the computer booted into Windows at 3.96ghz lol (11x360FSB) but froze. Was testing at 350FSB (3.85) with Prime95 just for fun but worker 2 failed...
    EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
    OCZ 500w modular PSU

Chike is offline Senior Member

Don't know about the PCI, but I have tried, many times, with better board that has many more OC options, and this chip simply won't run stable over 3.825GHz no matter what.

Well I don't know what the relation is, but in the last week of OC'ing, I noticed that my LG BR/HD disc drive is very loud when you load and play a disc/dvd. And it doesn't go away until you remove the disc, it's so loud that you can't even watch a movie. Sounds like a angry vacuum cleaner now...could this have possibly been from running PCI higher than 100 for many tests? Even if so, I'm not upset, just wondering if it's a fluke or OC related somehow (though not sure how?).

I still have EIST,etc disabled, should I enable them perhaps?

EDIT: To Chike, work should be slow enough for me to get to the post office and get the CPU shipped next week, I'll PM you when it's done..

Thanks guys
    EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
    OCZ 500w modular PSU

Ouch, hope it's not damaged, I know those can be expensive drives! Does it do that with any disc? Can you test it on another PC to see if it acts the same?

I asked about other discs because I know sometimes in any CD/DVD drive I've own, random various discs will do that to me as well, so it might just be the few disks you had in there recently.

Leave those settings you mention disabled, they don't apply to this at all.

Thanks, I didn't know you had replied LSD....well it seemed to go away after some time so I'm not too worried about it. In all honesty, I use my 7 year old HP Pavilion zv6130 everyday and the desktop is for encoding, movies (via projector) and tinkering with lol. I really need a new laptop as the infamous HP hinges are about to break after I replaced them once already. Need something like a Dell XPS or maybe an HP dv6 entertainment laptop....
    EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
    OCZ 500w modular PSU

Ya, sorry, I think email notifications are disabled right now! I asked Mr.Tweak to turn them back on last night, hopefully he'll see that email shortly.

Nice to hear the issue went away on it's own, must have been a glitch on the drive, or due to the CD/DVD's you had in there at the current time. Glad to see it's not constant, as that might have indicated something was wrong!

Good luck choosing a laptop replacement! Check out Asus ones too, some of those are very nice

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread Information