Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: GA31M-ES2L<-- Is this OC able?

Default Re: GA31M-ES2L<-- Is this OC able?

Will be checking the PC this week...
    Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L (doesn't like to OC high FSB chips)
    Cooler Master Hyper 212+ HSF
    OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400 800mhz SLI Ready 2x4gb 5-4-4-15 2.1v
    EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
    CoolerMaster Centurion case
    OCZ 500w modular PSU

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You almost got me with that double sided tape! So, did you go ahead and order the 212 already? Or are you still deciding?

What Chike said about the pins popping out is good, you should check that to be sure it's fully and securely installed too, it might just be one or more of the pins came out so temps are very high.

Sorry, I've been working 12+ hour days the last couple of days so no chance to order the cooler or even check the PC. Got started at 6:45am and got home and 7:20pm lol...

I will start poking around tonight or tomorrow afternoon/evening, I'm excited!! I'll be happy to safely hit 3.2ghz, anything else is butta....:)
    EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
    OCZ 500w modular PSU

No worries, I was just checking in! I know we all have lives outside of our computers, so no rush at all!

Just a quick update, the stock intel HSF did indeed pop loose...only 2 of the 4 push locks were secured so I removed it. PC is dismantled and on my desk right now and since I disconnected everything from the PC including the blue DSL router cable, I've lost my wifi in house (although the laptop is still picking it up, just no connection). Fortunately I'm using EasyTether on my old Android Hero which means free hotspot internet, although I have to use the Hero charge usb cable.

Anyway, have to head out of town tomorrow evening so I guess I'm going to go ahead and order the CM Hyper 212 since for the price it should be a good upgrade over the stock HSF and I need to clean the CPU anyway w/some 91 proof, I mean 91% iso alcohol.

But do local BestBuy stores carry these usually? I was going to hit the local BB and see in the morning before heading out. They have it listed online but I'm betting the stores won't have them in stock....Unfortunately we don't have Frys around, nothing left but BestBuy and RadioShack (Memphis area).

Bummer that it was simple mechanical (and/or user) error that caused this but I don't need much excuse for a small mod/upgrade!
    EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
    OCZ 500w modular PSU

Ouch, surprising to hear two pins popped out! Luckily nothing was damaged because of that!

Those push-pins are terrible, you always have to be sure you set them right before you install. To install them you have to set by pulling the pins upwards and turn clockwise, this should be done before you go to install, and can be checked while the heatsink is in position. Then push down and they will click/lock into place. To remove you turn counter-clockwise and pull up, this is what usually makes them not stay in place when installing because the pins are often in the uninstall position by default so they don't click/lock into place when you push them down. So in the future if using push pins be sure you set them correctly before installing, if they don't click when you push them down they aren't set right so pull back up and turn clockwise then push down again.

Best Buy might have that heatsink, or another similar, but you'd get raped on the price most likely. So since you don't have Fry's or Microcenter locally then your best bet would be to order it online.

You could reinstall the Intel heatsink while you wait, no need to run without a proper computer! Unless you don't have any thermal paste handy? If you don't you'll need to order some of that online too

Went to BB and they had a Rocketfish 90mm fan/sink for $30 with the cooler piping but I didn't want to chance the Rocketfish brand as I know nothing about it. I still have a tube of Arctic Silver 5 from my build 3 years ago, is it still any good? It's been closed up ever since as far as I can tell. I also saw the Dynex brand thermal paste for $10, is it ok to use if the AS5 is no longer any good?
    EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
    OCZ 500w modular PSU

Chike is offline Senior Member

It's safer to go with something more familiar, any of the compunds from Nanoxia Heat Buster and aboveThermal Interfaces Roundup: Retail Products. Page 12 - X-bit labs

That AS5 is probably still good as long as it wasn't sitting in the sun or something like that.

Well I had to head out of town and forgot to measure the clearance on the Centurion 534 case but from what I found, some had older 120mm coolers that worked and some did not. I'm wondering if I should play it safe and just do a 92mm HSF as the case is only 7.9" wide total and I'll have to remove the side panel fan which might hurt the cooling effect. Most use the side panel 120mm fan as an intake (not sure if it's wired as intake fan from factory) so not sure there.

Almost tempted to buy 2 different sizes....does CM have a decent 92mm or do I just need to shut up and cram the 120mm in there even if it means having to remove the factory side panel intake fan (also 120mm)?

Probably going to order something by this evening so I don't have to wait until next weekend to get it. Will either go w/Amazon or Newegg...
    EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
    OCZ 500w modular PSU

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information