Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-DS3L Not Recognizing 4x1GB G.Skill F2-8500CL5-1GBPK

Unhappy EP45-DS3L Not Recognizing 4x1GB G.Skill F2-8500CL5-1GBPK

Hi,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Iíve been using 2x1GB of G.Skill RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231144) with no issue and purchased a second set recently. I have Windows XP and know that I can only utilize 3 GB but bought anyway. But BIOS does not even recognize the extra 2GB, except 2 GB Iíve already had. I tested the memory sticks individually and they are all fine (I even tested with memtest86 v2.11). <o:p></o:p>
    Iíve tried with manually changing the memory voltage to 2.0 or 2.1, as well as making sure the memory performance is set in Standard instead of Turbo. I also set the timing to 5-5-5-15 and changed MCH Core to 1.24. Nothing worked. <o:p></o:p>

Can you please help me? These are my specs:
    Many thanks!
    HWiNFO32 Version 2.20<o:p></o:p>
    Computer Brand Name: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45-DS3L<o:p></o:p>
    [Operating System]<o:p></o:p>
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Build 2600 <o:p></o:p>
    Service Pack: Service Pack 3<o:p></o:p>
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 ----------------------------------------------------<o:p></o:p>
    [General Information]<o:p></o:p>
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400<o:p></o:p>
    Original Processor Freqency: 3000.0 MHz<o:p></o:p>
    Original Processor Freqency [MHz]: 3000<o:p></o:p>
    Memory --------------------------------------------------------------------<o:p></o:p>
    [General information]<o:p></o:p>
    Total Memory Size: 2 GBytes<o:p></o:p>
    Total Memory Size [MB]: 2048<o:p></o:p>
    [Current Performance Settings]<o:p></o:p>
    Current Memory Clock: 532.5 MHz (8 : 5 ratio)<o:p></o:p>
    Current Timing (tCAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS): 2.0-5-5-15<o:p></o:p>
    Memory Runs At: Dual-Channel<o:p></o:p>

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP45-DS3L Not Recognizing 4x1GB G.Skill F2-8500CL5-1GBPK

Have you tested each memory slot on your board individually, you may have a bad slot or two?

Try one stick one at a time in slot one, then two, and so on. You may need to have sticks in slots 1+3 to test out slot 4, just a heads up maybe thing on that. If you are not seeing them in the BIOS you may have a issue for sure. Board boots OK otherwise though right?

If you do that, and everything is fine please post me a image of CPU-z Memory Tab and or TaskManager's performance tab. I see CAS 2 in your timings noted above? Is that what you set in the BIOS? If it is, fix that, should be 555-15/18
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-06-2009 at 02:20 PM.

First of all, the timing is correct (5-5-5-15). I donít know why HWinfo32 showed like that.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    I tried what you asked. All slots are working fine. What I tried this time though was that I installed the new pair in slot 1 and 3 and the old pair in slot 2 and 4. Now BIOS can see all 4GB but it failed Memtest86 V.2.11. After reading some other posts I changed the System Memory Multiplier in BIOS to 2.40B (I think it was Auto). So it changed 1066, 1066 to 1066, 800. I also changed DRAM voltage to 2.1V.
    And it worked!!!! I passed Memtest86 (I only passed once and I was told that I should run the test for hours).
    Thanks so much for your quick reply and I appreciate that. And these are CPUz images and Task manager.

shouldn't the DRAM Frequency say 1066 though? I'm having a similar issue.Where CPUZ says it is PC2-6400 memory. Pc2 - 8500 is what it should be.

Question Re: EP45-DS3L Not Recognizing 4x1GB G.Skill F2-8500CL5-1GBPK

Quote Originally Posted by cbenn View Post
    shouldn't the DRAM Frequency say 1066 though? I'm having a similar issue.Where CPUZ says it is PC2-6400 memory. Pc2 - 8500 is what it should be.

I have the same issue, on my GA-EP45-UD3P Gigabyte MB; did you ever get an answer to this that made sense?

Does one have to force the BIOS to 1066MHz and 5-5-5-15, version F9, or can one allow the defaults to work?
    Tece

Nope, I am just living with it. I've tried several different things and nada. I've tried forcing it but anytime windows loads up I see the same settings.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

ALL 1066 ram shows up as 6400Mhz ram in CPU-z SPD Tab, as that is what it is really. It has just been tested to perform at the specified voltages and timings by the manufacturer, it is up to the end user to change these things to make the ram run at 1066.

You would need to manually set your own memory multiplier, if you are using 333 FSB then you would need to choose 3.20B as your multi (3.20x333=1066). Then you would need to set your own main timings, and your ram voltages to spec. Once you have all that setup you will see in the memory Tab of CPU-z (NOT SPD) 533Mhz which is 1066Mhz ram (DDR2 = Double Data Rate)

Thanks much for the simple explanation to the novice! It never occurred to me that the DIMMs were just binned, and the SPD would be set for 800MHz.

I'll have to go back and look at my newegg specs on the parts and see if it says that somewhere.
    Tece

Thread Information