Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EP45T-UD3LR fubar - ideas ?

Default EP45T-UD3LR fubar - ideas ?

Hello, I recently purchased some parts and built a nice fast PC for myself. I chose the following items:

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR motherboard
    Kingston KVR1333D3K2 ram (2 x 2G modules)
    Intel Q9550 2.83 Ghz processor
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I built it all up, set the BIOS to 'optimized settings', installed and updated Windows, installed newest drivers for everything else. No, I didn't flash my BIOS.

Well, it seems the computer randomly freezes-up tight. It will run fine for hours.. sometimes a whole day.. and then, out of nowhere, the mouse stops.. nothing works at all.. can't ping the machine from another machine on the network, etc. etc. Only thing I can do is hold the power button down for 5 seconds and reboot.

In fact, 15 minutes ago I was writing THIS post and the computer froze up on me when I was 95% done!

I have run both memory modules together and separate via MEMTEST86 booted from the CD for 24 hours with no errors.

The only thing I have found that seems to make the thing stable is turning-down the processor speed in bios.. ie, instead of an 8x multiplier plus that 0.5 setting, I change it to a 7x multiplier. I also messed around with the CAS latency.. the memory said its CAS is 9, so I changed mine to 11. The other numbers I have no idea, since I can't find them for my modules.. ie, usually with memory I see something like 9-9-9-24... well, the Gigabyte board defaulted to THAT with mine.

Also, what's the FSB speed of this board? Do I have to somehow match the memory FSB with the CPU FSB with the motherboard FSB? I see in the Intelligent Tweaker that it has FSB = 333, and that number is multiplied to the 7x 'multiplier' to get the proc speed.

But then I see elsewhere that the FSB is 1333 Mhz, etc. etc. Its all very confusing. And in memset.exe, it reports my FSB as some ratio of 2:1. But then again, it also says I have DDR2, so I can only conclude that its crap.

Anyway, anyone have any tips on getting this thing stable at 2.83Ghz? I'm not even asking to overclock it! :)

Thanks for any help.

Kevin

PS - Memory runs in dual channel interleaved mode
    Last edited by airdorn; 04-06-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Default Re: EP45T-UD3LR fubar - ideas ?

UPDATE - about 2 minutes after posting this, it froze up again!

I don't see that particular 2Gb Kingston memory module on the Gigabyte memory compatibility short list. Does that mean I screwed up like a noob and need to toss it and get memory that IS on the list? If so, can anyone suggest a nice reliable brand?

Thanks again.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Is this your ram, just checking >>>
    Newegg.com - Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

You should use Memtest86+ 2.11 latest version >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

What BIOS are you using?

Please give me your settings you are using now, and the speed you would like to run and I will advise back.

If you do just want stock settings suggested then let me know as well, but please do give me what you are using now so I can be sure of a few things

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Is this your ram, just checking >>>
    Newegg.com - Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

You should use Memtest86+ 2.11 latest version >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

What BIOS are you using?

Please give me your settings you are using now, and the speed you would like to run and I will advise back.

If you do just want stock settings suggested then let me know as well, but please do give me what you are using now so I can be sure of a few things

Yes, that is indeed the memory I am using. All I care about is getting it running at the stock settings (no overclocking).. I might decide to overclock it months later after it's stable.

As for the BIOS I am using... Hmm, not sure.. Is F1 an appropriate answer here? When I reboot, I get EP45T-UD3LR F1 at the top of the screen above the memory test.

Here are my BIOS settings:

Robust graphics booster: AUTO
    CPU clock ratio: 8x
    Fine CPU Ratio: 0.5
    CPU frequency: 2.83Ghz

Clock chip control
    CPU host clock control: disabled
    CPU host frequency: 333 Mhz
    PCI express Frequency (mhz): auto
    CIA2: disabled

Advanced Clock Control
    CPU clock drive: 800
    PCI express clock drive: 800
    Both skews are 0

DRAM Performance control
    Performance enhance: Turbo (have tried many settings here)
    MCH freq latch: auto
    System meory multiplier: auto
    Memory freq: 1333
    Dram timing selectable: auto

Standard timing control (all auto because of above setting)
    CAS Latency time: 9
    tRCD: 9
    tRP: 9
    tRAS: 24

Advanced Timing control
    tRRD: 4
    tWTR: 5
    tWR: 10
    tRFC: 74
    tRPT: 5
    Command Rate: 0

CHannel A B stuff is all AUTO

Motherboard Voltage control (all AUTO values)
    CPU vcore: 1.25 (auto)
    CPU termination: 1.20 (auto)
    CPU PLL: 1.50 (auto)
    CPU Reference: 0.805 (auto)

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core: 1.20 (I set that tonight based on some stuff in these forums)
    MCH Reference: 0.76 (auto)
    ICH I/O: 1.550 (auto)
    ICH core: 1.10 (auto)

Advanced settings
    Limit CPU Max to 3: disabled
    No-execute memory protect: enabled
    CPU enhance halt (C1e): enabled
    CPU thermal monitor 2(TM2): enabled
    CPU EIST function: enabled
    virtualization technology: enabled

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, there's some settings. Thanks for any infor you can give! :)

Kevin

Yes, F1 would be an appropriate answer. I do advise you update that, F1 is very old and much has been improved since. Your board is now on F5 >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP45T-UD3LR (rev. 1.0)

If you do flash (Suggested), please do not use @BIOS, read this thread on how to use Qflash >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Let me know what you do/decide on that, and then give me your new settings again and I will advise back

Hi guys,
    I'm battling these random freezes for 4 months without full success.
    I'm far from thinking for overclock since my PC is not stable yet.
    My PC - GA-EP45T-UD3P with the same ram (KV1333D3N9/2G x 2) and same cpu Q9950.
    And this particular ram IS IN the Gigabytes QVL list. I've managed to cut down the number of freezes significantly but they continue to happen 2-3 times per week.
    I've tested with Memtest (latest) full 12 hours, prime95 for 9+ hours - all tests OK without single error. I've tried all BIOses from F1 to F6 and they all seem to put
    DDR Voltage to 1.75V instead of the specified 1.5V MAX for this memory.
    So these settings of mine helped a lot, but not entirely:
    FSB on auto gives 333MHz, RAM at 1333MHz
    CAS Latency time: 9
    tRCD: 10
    tRP: 10
    tRAS: 27
    in the advanced timings control: Static tRead 10
    MCH core: 1.2V
    DDR Voltage 1.5V (must).

3 months ago I've sent the board for RMA but it was returned back with no problem found (but that doesn't mean somebody tested it properly!).
    Now seems freezes occur when there is no load - maybe C1E or EIST ape playing ticks.
    Will be glad to see any kind of solution for this annoying problem.

Yes, F1 would be an appropriate answer. I do advise you update that, F1 is very old and much has been improved since. Your board is now on F5 >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP45T-UD3LR (rev. 1.0)

If you do flash (Suggested), please do not use @BIOS, read this thread on how to use Qflash >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Let me know what you do/decide on that, and then give me your new settings again and I will advise back

Aight, I flashed it. I got away clean, with only minimal sparks and ozone pouring from the mobo.

It now identifies itself as F5.

Now what?

I haven't had a freeze-up since last night... that's when I decided to up my MCH voltage from 1.100v to 1.200v. Seems I have 2x 2G ram modules. Curious that the mobo doesn't know to do that on its own.

Of course, I can't yell EUREKA yet... it very well could freeze-up just after I write this. ;)

What else, if anything, do I need to do to further stabilize this machine?

Thanks again for your quick response, Gigabyte person!

Kevin

I suggest you load optimized defults if you did not after you flashed the BIOS and rebooted. If you did then all is well, give me your settings and tell me your wishes and I will advise back

I suggest you load optimized defults if you did not after you flashed the BIOS and rebooted. If you did then all is well, give me your settings and tell me your wishes and I will advise back
    Well, my wishes haven't changed from 2 days ago when I wrote the msg. I just want it stable without any overclocking.

It crashed this morning sometime.. I got almost 2 days out of it this time! This is after flashing the bios to F5.

I'm not bashing the Gigabyte board! I love how configurable it is and the feedback here has been superb. :)

My settings haven't changed from the settings I gave above, including MCH core of 1.20 (default wants to be 1.10)

Please advise on what you think I need to do next.

Kevin

Hello.

COuld anyone help me with this? I recently flashed the BIOS to the latest BIOS version.. the computer still randomly freezes about once a day.. maybe twice or 3 times some days. Often, it will freeze during the screensaver, during the night.

The memory checks good, but maybe there's some fundamental incompatibility with this Kingston RAM and Gigabyte boards?

Any ideas on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information