Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need Phenom II 940BE overclocking help with memory

Default Need Phenom II 940BE overclocking help with memory

I'm a noob to overclocking and I've had memory stability problems whenever I overclock past 3.2 GHz. I'm using the mulitplier alone. The memory I have is OCZ Reaper 1066 2X2 GB (OCZ2RPR10664GK). I've already RMA'd one set back to OCZ as it was defective right out of the box. Also this memory will not run at default settings, I have to manually set frequency to 533, manually set timings to 5-6-6-18 26 (per OCZ instructions) and manually set voltage to 2.1 volts. It's a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4 board by the way. The memory runs fine at default 3.0 GHz and I was able to get the system stable raising the cpu multiplier to 16x (3.2 GHz) but any thing over that and the memory starts causing errors and instability. I primarily use AOD for benchmarking and stability testing as it just crashes to desktop when it encounters an error, with Prime95 I get BSOD's and restarts. To get anything higher than 3.2 GHz I have to drop the memory frequency to 400 MHz but then I lose a lot in the benchmark score. Any one have any suggestions as to what to do to get the memory to run stable at 533 MHz and the CPU at 3.4 GHz (18x multiplier).

Phenom II 940BE, Zalman CNPS9900LED, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4, Asus EAH 4850 TOP, OCZ Reaper 1066 2x2 GB, OCZ 550 Watt Fata1ity (cpu temp=32 idle & 42 100% load, gpu temp = 42 idle & 62 100% load)
    Last edited by varkie; 04-06-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Add System Info

Default Re: Need Phenom II 940BE overclocking help with memory

Okay finally got a stable overclock at 3.4 GHz (17x Multiplier). Had to manually set memory frequency to 533 MHz and memory voltage to 2.1 volts. Then manually set timings to 5-7-7-24 and 31 tRFC. AMD Overdrive stability test ran smooth for one hour.

I wanted 3.4 MHz because that was what Tom's Hardware found was the most efficient cpu overclock when still running Cool & Quiet. The cpu voltage does not increase, anything higher and the cpu voltage rises and C&Q shuts down. At least that was what they experienced. As my computer runs at idle most of the time I wanted C&Q still enabled.
    <!-- / message -->

Thread Information