Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP35-DS3P & G.SKILL DDR2 800 4GB-problems

Unhappy EP35-DS3P & G.SKILL DDR2 800 4GB-problems

Hello
    Before going to kill myself trying from severe frustration I will try this forum as a last resort coz if there is anybody that can help my n00b problem it must be you guys :

First my gear:

EP-35-DS3P rev 2.1 F5

Q6600 G0 running at 2.4Ghz

2x 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800 5-5-5-15 Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Gainward 8800GT 512mb

3x 500GB SATA Drives

NO IDE drives whatsoever

The problem:

First you should know that I'm not even trying to OC anything on my rig, all i want to do is make it run 4GB which is not possible at the moment. I'm using the rig most of the time for osx86 which works fine if only 2GB are installed. Now i know of ALL the problems that have to do with ICH9 driver issues. I've tried all over a long period of time, and to clear up the point: i dont even use IDE. Whats driving me nuts though is that whenever i use 4GB in no matter which OS (Vista 64-bit, osx86) i always get bluescreens/kernelpanics as soon as my apps use more than 3.5GB. I do want to use 8GB on OSX at some point, thats the whole reason i bought this rig in the first place. For a long time i thought it was a pure osx86 issue but when trying 4GB on Vista 64bit i had same results when playing memory intense games.

I even heard there could be issues with the Gainward 8800GT and my board.
    I tested the RAM in memtest86 and had no problems with it. I was thinking to get different RAM or I even got to the point of getting a new mobo.
    please help as i just want to work on my rig, my head is fuming from reading countless threads on forums <---- (learning a lot though, but maybe too much )

Now my questions:

Is my RAM not suitable for my mobo?
    do i need to change any settings in the BIOS?

Any help highly appreciated!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP35-DS3P & G.SKILL DDR2 800 4GB-problems

Yes, you need to make some changes in the BIOS for 4GB+

Please test each module at stock set timings and voltages one at a time in slot one to be sure you did not receive faulty modules. Set your main timings, ram voltage and memory multi to equal spec speed, then set Performance Enhance on standard and run the tests. Here is the latest Memtest86+ 2.11 >>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

I do not believe ICH9 drivers have anything to do with this. Try these settings for stock and see how you get along, then if you like I can give you a full set of settings and or overclocked settings >>>

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto or Fast]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9] 
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.00A]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______ 5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

I will leave most of these blank for now, to be left in Auto.  Once you get going I can advise full settings for you if you like.  but please DO set the ones I advise, starting with the higher values and working your way down testing as you go

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________
    Static tRead Value_______________ 6-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << Always Auto

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.100V] =1.9V
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]  << For stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V-0.3] <<< Needed for stable 2x2GB (More may be needed when you move to 8GB)

CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25] << Auto for no overclock

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Thanks a million for your help and quick response!!!!!!!!
    I just followed your advise with the higher settings and it seems to work.
    Of course i need further testing for stabilization but so far it looks good.

Once this works out and I feel comfortable I'd have a look at OCing the CPU.

Also, if I would like to add another 4GB, what do i have to consider. Can i buy similar RAM from different brands?

UPDATE: I had 3 random crashes in 12h so far now, i cannot reproduce them but i think they do happen. And my apps are not using 3GB, just doing regular stuff like surfing etc. So maybe some fine-tuning is needed?
    Last edited by forcequit; 04-10-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: update

Seems that the crashes are getting more frequent lately. What should I do in your opinion?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

If you get more ram you should get the same exact model and brand, otherwise you are only asking for more issues. This is likely way worse with 8GB, so please save yourself the hassle and get only the same matching brand/model

Please post me back the full settings you are using and I will see if I can help.

Random crashes are going to be hard to find the cause of. You should run Memtest86+ for 5-10 full passes or overnight while you sleep so you can rule that out as a issue first >>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Ok, I will try the 5-10 memtests method first.

Another thought crossed my mind: wouldn't it be easier to get a completely new set of RAM with different specs, maybe one that fits this board better. Just wondering...

After the tests i'll set it back to my settings inspired by your post. Right now i'm in "optimized settings" and 2GB again so i can at least work.

kick is offline Senior Member

It may not be much use now but if changing mem get the Gskill black PI 800s
    They do overclock 25% and ive given them a lot of abuse over the past 5 months.Ie they have been running 980-1000mhz practically all that time.

What voltage is your memory at under load? speedfan/cpuid or similar should tell you.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Ok, i finally managed to test one 2GB Ram over night and this is the result.... well kind of.

I had the BIOS settings put on "optimal settings", ie the way i had them before since i hardly had any problems with those settings. not sure if i should use your settings for 4GB?

When i got up this morning i noticed Memtest was still running but it wouldnt respond anymore to keys, I took this screenshot. It's been runing for 10hrs It looks odd, no? I didn't do a full pass but instead shows errors.

I might take another test with your settings tonite. Maybe you can make sense from that screenshot... hehe

Thread Information