Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-MA790X-UD4P will not POST

Default GA-MA790X-UD4P will not POST

Hello first time here but not a first time system builder, i am by no means a pro nor is this my vocation/job but i have built at least a dozen systems for myself and family.
    This is my first Gigabyte motherboard.
    I was impressed by the specs and the backwards and forwards compatibility for AMD cpu support so i ordered one last week.
    It arrived a few days later and yesterday when i put it together with the suggested ram (G.Skill) and supported CPU, etc it didn't even post upon switching on the only indication i could get that something was wrong was that the hdd led light on the case steadily blinked but i know the hd is good .

Whats in the case.
    Western Digital Green 750gb SATA drive
    LG SATA Dvd Burner
    G.Skill 4gb Dual Channel PC2-8500
    Nvidia 9800GT 512MB PCI Xpress/Nvidia 8600GT 512mb PCI Xpress
    Rosewell 630W PSU
    Athlon AMD X2 6000 3100ghz

I first removed everything except the basics after that error, so all i had upon the next boot was 1 stick of ram (2gb) 1 video card (8600gt) and the harddrive alone, still the same error.
    Checked that all the connections were working for the PSU, case fans, cpu fan , dvd drive all power up, the dvd drive even spins when a disc is put in worked in another system i have, switched out the psu , put it in another case it booted fine so its not the PSU, i can't test the ram as i don't have a testing kit or a system that supports that type but it, the motherboard and SATA dvd burner were bought at the sametime at the same place (newegg) together upon recommendation by the site as well as checking gigabyte's to see if the board supported that memory module according to the ram chart it does.

The only thing i have not done is remove the battery and let the board charge run out, i tried clearing the cmos via jumper, that did not work.

I fear it may be a DOA it will be my first, another weird thing is there is no speaker errors when turning on there are no beeps of confirmation or error just the blinking hdd led.
    Last edited by AlexiR; 04-07-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Default Re: GA-MA790X-UD4P will not POST

I have the same board , there is no speaker on the board as far as I know. I would also reccomend you not use those mismatched cards in sli mode, in this board or any other, as far as I know you need 2 identical cards to run sli.

First verify all connections, remove the hard drive power and see if it will at least go into the bios. If it then goes into the bios with no hard drive, but wont with the hard drive id look into using a different drive for testing.

The ram your using will have to have the settings manually setin the bios and the voltage may need to be raised in order to achieve the spec on the ram. This can also cause the system not to work properly.

I would pay special attention to the power connections for the mother board and cpu, its easy for them not to make proper contact, I would also look at the front panel connections on the mother board to make sure something isn't amiss there. Hope this helps, If not repost with your results, we can go from there.
    Last edited by drw1710; 04-08-2009 at 03:04 AM.
    Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
    Phenom II 555
    EVGA GTX 275 FTW
    OCZ 1600 DDR3 (4GB)
    Corsair TX 750 PSU
    Cooler Master Sniper Case
    Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
    Seagate 500GB Hard Drive (x2)
    Noctura Case Fans (x2)

Are you sure there are no audio beeps via the case speaker?
    According to the manual there are when it POST
    I can't even get to the bios screen like i said before i don't get that far.

Connectors for the PSU are in correctly because likei said power is going to the case fans, system fan, cpu fan, dvd drive and the harddrive spins up but theres nothing just the blinking hd led

I tried two more experiments just to see what was going one removed the board from the case put it on a flat wooden surface hooked up everything outside the case, same result,
    Next I removed EVERYTHING except 1 stick of ram, cpu and heatsink turned it on see what would happen , no hd connected and the hd led is still blinking, it was what i expected i think it shipped damaged or something.
    On one side note , the case this is supposed to go in is a full tower, Thermal Take Xaser 2, its an old but still usable tower however i noticed that the motherboard front panel header has a MSG/Power LED Sleep connector pins in essence three LED connectors , power , hd and this msg led but the Xaser 2 case only has power led and hd led connectors only two leds on the front, could that be the problem?
    Highly unlikely to me but i'll grasp at anything at this point otherwise its going back.

My comment about the speaker was reffering to the motherboard not having one, not your case. Since it may be an RMA issue, and I am not saying that it is at this point. Could you remove the cpu cooler and make sure you have the cpu in correctly, no bent pins ect. Unlikely I agree but it does happen. If you have another amd pc that can support your cpu you could always try swapping parts between the 2. one other thing you could try is making a simple power lead and disconnecting the case harness. Not sure what stores are near you but, this small harness with a switch on it is a must for anyone who builds there own pc. allows you to power up the system on the bench for testing ect prior to installation. do you have a different stick of ram you could try? Im running out of ideas here, so if all else fails contact gb tech support thur this forum.
    Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
    Phenom II 555
    EVGA GTX 275 FTW
    OCZ 1600 DDR3 (4GB)
    Corsair TX 750 PSU
    Noctura Case Fans (x2)

Yes i actually have two extra supported cpus for the board, A brisbane and windsor, already tried them.
    The one that was in there the X2 6000 had no bent pins etc
    The X2 6000 works in the other AM2 pc that i have this one has a MSI board so i know its not defective.

I believe it is time to contact Gigabyte tech support.
    Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
    Phenom II 555
    EVGA GTX 275 FTW
    OCZ 1600 DDR3 (4GB)
    Corsair TX 750 PSU
    Noctura Case Fans (x2)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You only need to connect your Power switch/LED and HD LED to the header, the 3Pin Message header can be left alone if your case does not offer a 3pin header

Do you not have any other DDR2 you can borrow to test with, or can you test this ram you have on another PC to be sure it did not come to you DOA? I know you said you cannot test it elsewhere, but are you sure you do not have a buddy you could go visit or take it to a PC where you work to see if it is ok? If not, see if you have a buddy you can borrow a stick or two of DDR2 from or head up to the store and pickup a cheap 1GB stick or 2x1GB Set.

Could be DOA Ram

I would suggest you try to clear the CMOS using the moethod I post here in Post #2 >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Then start the system outside of the case, Off the motherboard tray on the wooden table you mentioned. Use only one stick of ram in slot one, your GFX Card, and your CPU/Heatsink. That is it, no hard drives, cd drives, fans, ect

Thanks for the suggestion Lsdmeasap thats EXACTLY what it is.
    I got a hold of some budget DDR2 667 ram sticks (luckily the board supports this type) and it booted up, speakers beeped etc.
    So now i don't have to RMA the board back to newegg something i am happy about.
    Instead G.Skill customer service will be hearing from me.
    I didn't want to believe that brand new ram could be DOA like that.
    But thats it bad ram BOTH sticks.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice to see you easily found the issue.

Well it does not necessarily mean DOA ram, it could just not be compatible with your board. Can you test it somewhere else to make sure it is ok.

It may just not boot at the default 1.8V your board is giving it to start with. What you can try is using the 667 ram you have go in the BIOS and set your ram voltage to 2.0-2.1 or whatever the ram is rated to run at, then save and apply and shut down and insert ONE of your other ram sticks and see if it will then boot. I say one because with 4Gb you may need to add some memory controller voltage and adjust some advanced memory timings, so one would be easiest to boot with. If one does not work, try the other.

If both fail then they may be incompatible, or DOA? You would need another PC to test if they are DOA or not though

The ram is definitely bad took it to the store i bought the 667 sticks from, they confirm they are bad.
    Also it is listed on the Gigabyte site as being compatible with the board http://tw.giga-byte.com/FileList/Mem...a790x-ud4p.pdf page 1 of the pdf
    G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    No harm done sent back today.

Thread Information