Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: UD3P heatsinks

Default UD3P heatsinks

Has anyone removed the North/South heatsinks and/or lapped them and applied AS5 to them? They come off really easy.

THe mosfets look a litttle too small to mess with and I doin't know what the goop is they are already using.

Thanks

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: UD3P heatsinks

Do not apply Arctic Silver to your NB, there is Bare leads under there. If you redo your paste (I do mine) please use NON Conductive paste such as TX-2, MX-2, or Arctic Ceramic

The mosfets and SouthBridge have a thermal pad on them, you would just need to remove the pad and carefully apply a small dab of paste to each mosfet and put a small amount on the SB/NB and put the heatsinks back

Do keep in mind if you are causing your board to Flex in ANY amount the mosfets will not be properly in contact with the heatsinks. So if you are not using a backplate behind your CPU I advise you either do not go thru with this, or leave the pads on the mosfets. Or you could replace the push pins with screws on the mosfets to ensure better contact in case of board flex

Lapping, don't waste your time

Well. before I got your warning - I put a very, very small bb sized bit on the NB and some on the concave SB - left the mosfets alone for now.

Havent' fired her up yet so i sppose i could just remove it - or pray.

I got a Noctua so it's got a back plate-
    think I should take the aS5 off NB and put a little on the mosfets to be safe?
    Last edited by RonM; 04-09-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

If you were careful you may be fine, I have done it. I just never advise it because of those bare traces and I never know who is careless and who is not, ya know.

If you think you did it ok then you are likely fine. DO NOT USE ANY on the Mosfets, either use NON Conductive or Keep the Thermal Pad there.

Thread Information