Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: new RAID0 setup on UD5

Question new RAID0 setup on UD5

Hi,
    First time build, with core i7 920 on X58 ud5 board. I have two velociraptor 300gb HDs I'd like to set up in RAID 0.

I have the drives connected to the Intel ICH10R SATA ports. I have configured the SATA controller mode in BIOS setup to RAID.

The problem occurs when I try to enter the RAID BIOS setup by pressing CTRL-I to get into it. Calm, deliberate pushing these keys at the appropriate time does not do anything, and neither does furious hacking at them throught the whole process.

I have not loaded any kind of driver to anything yet. Does the OS need to be installed to do this operation? I am concerned that if I install the OS now, it will be loaded onto one drive only and won't be properly striped.

What to do...what to do?

Thanks

Smile Re: new RAID0 setup on UD5

Ok, got into the the RAID bios by connecting my USB keyboard to another port. Not sure why it didn't work on one of the backpanel ports.

Now I'm working on figuring out how to install the RAID drivers onto a usb drive. Wish me luck!

Default Re: new RAID0 setup on UD5

UD5 Has hardware raid, Why use the intel if your not going to do matrix?
    Just plug the drives in the Giga Ports and go no drivers required.

Ahh, they have moved to JMB322 with the X58. Still, even if it does work as it says in the manual, its options are pathetic. "Hardware" yes, but very cheap.

Thanks for your input, guys. I got her working, and the new rig, she is sweeeet! May not be anything too fancy in this forum, but I like her!

Quote Originally Posted by mv2devnull View Post
    Ahh, they have moved to JMB322 with the X58. Still, even if it does work as it says in the manual, its options are pathetic. "Hardware" yes, but very cheap.
    Don't care much about options all i ever use is raid 0 anyways, played around with Intel matrix before with raid 0 + 5 and other setups and while they looked impressive in the benchmarks they always sucked with actual loading windows and apps so i went back to simple raid 0 and use Acronis to backup to my storage HD once a week.

It would be nice if it was more robust but heck it's free and it's on the MB, this is the first MB i've ever had that actually had hardware raid built in and I dont think i'll ever use software again. It's so much nicer not having to worry about raid drivers in order to get windows going. Had alot of headaches with that over the years...not just installing but also with windows update automatically updating the drivers and then not being able to boot the OS after lol
    Last edited by bluehaze013; 04-11-2009 at 06:31 AM.

Thread Information