Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Simple stable settings for EP43-UD3L + Intel E5200 + G.Skill 4gb 1066 DDR2?

Default Simple stable settings for EP43-UD3L + Intel E5200 + G.Skill 4gb 1066 DDR2?

Hi,
    I'm trying to find a good stable setting for my computer (It hangs up in Prime95 torture test). Not trying to overclock, just trying to keep things stable/stock. Can someone help me out? I changed the timing and voltage on the RAM, but that's about it. I ran Vista Memory Diagnostics on both RAM and they both passed.

Running Windows Vista 64-bit with an Intel 5200 dual-core, and 2x 2GB G.Skill 1066 DDR2 RAM. Using BIOS F3 from Gigabyte taiwan site.

CPU-Z Screenshots:
    http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9494/86813286.jpg
    http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3002/51258881.jpg
    http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6449/30370713.jpg

Code:
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: [12x]
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................: [+0.5]
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.50GHz (200x12.5)

Clock Chip Control 
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Disabled] 
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 200Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: [Auto]

C.I.A.2 .................................: [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: Default
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: Default
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: Default
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: Default

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: (SPD) [Auto]
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1066 800
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................ 5 [5]
    tRCD .........................................7 [5]
    tRP'...........................................7 [5]
    tRAS..........................................20 [15]

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................Default
    tWTR..........................................Default
    tWR............................................Default
    tRFC...........................................Default
    tRTP...........................................Default
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:Default

Motherboard Voltage Control
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................: 1.22500V [Auto]
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V.......: 1.200V [Auto]
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V.......: Could not find this

CPU Reference.…………....0.805V*.......: [Auto]

CPU Reference2………..0.800V*.......: Could not find this

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: [Auto]
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........: Could not find this
    MCH/DRAM Reference.…......0.900V...........: Could not find this
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: 1.550V [Auto]
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: Could not find this

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: [2.000V]
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: Could not find this
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: Could not find this
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: Could not find this

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Simple stable settings for EP43-UD3L + Intel E5200 + G.Skill 4gb 1066 DDR2?

What do you see for these >>>
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: ?
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: ?

Just need to make sure you are starting out correctly. Can you please link me to your ram or give me the model #? Then I can best advise.

I do suggest you also update to the latest BIOS F4 >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP43-US3L (rev. 1.0)

Please do not use @BIOS, here is a Qflash guide >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

You do know you are underclocking your ram correct? If you did not know, yes you are doing so. To run 1066 you would need to overclock your FSB though, this does not mean you have to overclock your CPU as much as you would think though as you can drop the CPU Multi down some if you like. Like 333 FSB (CPU Multi at 7.5 if you have it for 2.5Ghz) with 3.20B Memory Multi, or 266 FSB (CPU Multi 9.5 if you have it for 2.5Ghz) at with 4.00A Memory Multi. If you do not have those CPU Multi options I mentioned and would still like to run your ram at 1066 let me know and I will offer some different advice.

If you just would like help with what you are running now, sorry I am a overclocker , let me know and provide the above requested info and I will help ya out

Default Re: Simple stable settings for EP43-UD3L + Intel E5200 + G.Skill 4gb 1066 DDR2?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    What do you see for these >>>
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: ?
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: ?

Just need to make sure you are starting out correctly. Can you please link me to your ram or give me the model #? Then I can best advise.

I do suggest you also update to the latest BIOS F4 >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP43-US3L (rev. 1.0)

Please do not use @BIOS, here is a Qflash guide >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

You do know you are underclocking your ram correct? If you did not know, yes you are doing so. To run 1066 you would need to overclock your FSB though, this does not mean you have to overclock your CPU as much as you would think though as you can drop the CPU Multi down some if you like. Like 333 FSB (CPU Multi at 7.5 if you have it for 2.5Ghz) with 3.20B Memory Multi, or 266 FSB (CPU Multi 9.5 if you have it for 2.5Ghz) at with 4.00A Memory Multi. If you do not have those CPU Multi options I mentioned and would still like to run your ram at 1066 let me know and I will offer some different advice.

If you just would like help with what you are running now, sorry I am a overclocker , let me know and provide the above requested info and I will help ya out
    Hi,

Thanks so much for replying.
    The settings for those two are at default (800 for both if I remember). I noticed that in google most people use 900 for PCI clock drive... Should I set it at that?

I'm new to overclocking so I'm trying to be cautious for the moment. I was sure that I was underclocking the RAM though, but I didn't know what settings to change without screwing something up.

Will the setting you gave me require changing any voltage?

As for the BIOS update, I'll do that right now.

And for the CPU speed, could you also give me some suggested settings for 3.0-3.2ghz overclock? At stock setting, the E5200 goes to 2.5ghz.

Thanks, really appreciate the help since I'm relatively new at this.

Edit: I just rechecked your link, it seems that is for a different motherboard. This one's mine:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2993

Link to my RAM:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166
    Last edited by naos; 04-13-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Information

Just something quick to report:
    I tried changing the multiplier to 7.5 and FSB to 333 with 3.20B, but I got an error upon booting. Red message box says it is due to voltage changes?

Or maybe because the tech spec on the processor (E5200 Intel) is only listed to 800?
    Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Maybe it is better to leave the RAM at 800 for now.

Thanks

Anyone?

I have been able to achieve stability by having your settings except to bring the dram voltage back down to 1.8v.

There seems to be some E5200's that are very particular and will not stay stable with any adjustment of the FSB -- which is disturbing. I have built an identical system to yours with the same memory/mobo/cpu and was able to get a 1066 bus speed without any problems. I recommended my friend the same exact setup and am having a nightmare of a time getting the system to stay stable once straying from the regular 800 FSB.

Can someone help me out here? I've updated the EP43-UD3Ls BIOS to F4 and still no luck. I've tried various other settings to achieve the desired 1066 bus with no luck. Stability is random - but always results in a crash until I leave everything as default settings.

Should Gigabyte be issuing another update to accomodate this chipset?

Thanks

Chike is offline Senior Member

I had the F2-8500CL5-1GBPI installed at the begining, and with my motherboard it wasn't just plug & play. I was quite frustrated trying to get it stable.

Maybe with 200FSB it would be better to keep the memory at DDR-800 with lower latencies if possible, 5-4-4-12 or even 4-4-4-12 if it can do it.
    You can set the advance memory timings manually to the values shown in MemSet SPD for 400Mhz (CPU-Z SPD does not show the advanced timings)
    With 2x2GB of memory you may need to increase MCH Core, but I'm not familiar with your board so wait for Lsdmeasap comment on it.

My board also defalt to 800mV PCI clock drive (optimized defaults), while the P45s default to 900mV, it may be a board/chipset dependant.

EDIT: Note: with manually set memory timings, timings should be adjusted to adopt to different memory speeds if changed.
    Last edited by Chike; 07-29-2009 at 08:04 PM.

With the E5200 and EP43-UD3L at default settings and with the memory listed below I've managed to achieve a stable desktop with the following hardware (at least with a ghost in Hiren's transferring 800 GB of data [OSX] to another 1TB Drive waiting for me to acknowledge completion) -- I'd like to achieve the same stability with a 1066 bus.

This is a side project, and given the current economy, I have very little time to constantly adjust settings to achieve this FSB speed.

Here are the components that I have ordered:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Desktop Memory
    8 GB of 1066 DDR2 Memory - 5-5-5-15 timings at (at most) 2.1v

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
    Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail (it is appearing to be certainly LOCKED AT 800FSB - boggling to me, since I managed to have a stable system running osx in the past with the same hardware at 1066 fsb stable)

VIDEO: Newegg.com - SPARKLE SP94GT1024D2LHP GeForce 9400 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards - originally advised to order Newegg.com - SPARKLE SFPX94GT1024U2 GeForce 9400 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards however the low profile came in instead... I garbage tied a fan onto this with airflow downward toward the MOBO to alleviate the possible heat problems).

As I adjust various voltage settings I can sometimes achieve more and more stability, but cannot achieve 100% - I am using a clone of a successful OSX installation as a benchmark (it keeps failing to boot at random occasions, indicating poor memory conditions or CPU clocks). At one time (I do not have the appropriate settings on record to report how I managed) I managed to ghost 200GB without a crash on default cooling.That is acceptable for emulation gaming with 2 PS3 controllers with MUGEN and at least Dreamcast and to act as a HTPC, as far as I'm concerned - this is from my previous system with the same components.

Can anyone advise on how to achieve the stable 1066 bus? I know that 800 can probably achieve all I ask, however I'm a very determined individual, and given that in the past, I managed to achieve this (at the time, I only really remember using F3 bios to do this and not even adjusting any power settings)?

I hope somebody has experience with this, and, if not, I will post any successes -- I will be falling back to the stable 800 fsb if I must, however this setup is just tantalizing me to beat it, so I think it's a possibility and can help others (at least in the meantime!).

Sorry if I'm unclear about anything, I am in a rush... I'll do my best to respond to any inquiries!

Thanks!

C
    Last edited by AboveUnrefined; 07-30-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Thread Information