Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Vista: Unable to find system volume that meets its criteria for installation

Default Re: Help! Vista: Unable to find system volume that meets its criteria for installatio

ok the Vista install disc will load and ask for regional information, but I can't get past the screen where you select which hard drive to install Vista on. I get the message "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

When I try to click next, I get the message, "Windows is unable to find a volume that meets its criteria for installation."

I've tried everything I can think of, from rearranging the boot order, to enabling/disabling AHCI and SATA port0-3 Native Mode. Most recently I tried with AHCI disabled and Native Mode enabled with the same results.

The only change so far has been that with AHCI enabled, Vista setup recognizes SATA controller drivers, but it doesn't change the fact that Vista refuses to install itself on my hard drive.

The only time I ever got setup running was the very first time I ran the setup, however it hit a snag halfway through and supposedly reversed the installation process. I've had this problem ever since.

Can you tell me any other BIOS settings I should check? I assume that since my drive shows up OK in the "Internal Peripherals" menu, it means that it's "configured" properly as suggested by the Vista error.

Default Re: Help! Vista: Unable to find system volume that meets its criteria for installatio

format the drive

Should be in the vista setup
    what version of vista
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 bios 3202
    2500k@4.7GHZ.
    CM Hyper 212 EVO blademasters push-pull
    8GB's Samsung 30nm tech ram 1.35v
    EVGA GTX 460 superclocked plus (part# 1G-P3-1372-TR)
    Seasonic X660
    Canada

Vista Clean Installation

shows pics of vista install to
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 bios 3202
    2500k@4.7GHZ.
    CM Hyper 212 EVO blademasters push-pull
    8GB's Samsung 30nm tech ram 1.35v
    EVGA GTX 460 superclocked plus (part# 1G-P3-1372-TR)
    Seasonic X660
    Canada

I'm trying to do a clean install of vista Ultimate. I get stuck on this step: http://www.theeldergeekvista.com/ima...al%20-0025.jpg

My screen looks more like this (but with only one drive):

After clicking Next, the error message changes to "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation." and refuses to let me continue. I hope this clears things up.

This is a brand new drive by the way, and it's the only drive plugged in except for my DVD drive.

Quote Originally Posted by pepper23 View Post
    I'm trying to do a clean install of vista Ultimate. I get stuck on this step: http://www.theeldergeekvista.com/ima...al%20-0025.jpg

My screen looks more like this (but with only one drive):

After clicking Next, the error message changes to "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation." and refuses to let me continue. I hope this clears things up.

This is a brand new drive by the way, and it's the only drive plugged in except for my DVD drive.

I had this same issue, I was able to resolve it by going into the bios and selecting advance bios options, then going under hard disk boot priority: I made sure the drive I was going to install vista on was the number 1 drive. I saved the settings then tried again and the install was able to proceed.

Raul
    Last edited by howtragic; 04-11-2009 at 10:38 AM.

My hard drive is currently set to #1 (which is default anyway). #2 is set to Bootable Add-in Cards. My hard drive is also set to First Boot Device. Second Boot Device is LS120 (my DVD drive) and Third Boot Device is just CDROM.

What were your settings for SATA AHCI Mode and SATA Port0-3 Native Mode in the Integrated Peripherals menu?

Oh and just an added note: If I try to select "New" after clicking "advanced" in the Vista setup screen shown, it says "Failed to create new partition on the selected unused space. 0x80042453"

Quote Originally Posted by pepper23 View Post
    My hard drive is currently set to #1 (which is default anyway). #2 is set to Bootable Add-in Cards. My hard drive is also set to First Boot Device. Second Boot Device is LS120 (my DVD drive) and Third Boot Device is just CDROM.

What were your settings for SATA AHCI Mode and SATA Port0-3 Native Mode in the Integrated Peripherals menu?

Oh and just an added note: If I try to select "New" after clicking "advanced" in the Vista setup screen shown, it says "Failed to create new partition on the selected unused space. 0x80042453"
    sata raid is set to ahci mode sata port 0-3 is set to disabled:

I wasn't getting the failed to create new partition. I was able to create a new partition and then format it, but couldn't get past that till I changed the hard disk boot priority: my drive wasn't set to number 1.

the gigabyte sata2 chip is also set to ahci

what sata port is your primary drive on?
    Last edited by howtragic; 04-11-2009 at 11:14 AM.

SATA2_0 is my hard drive
    SATA2_3 is my DVD drive

I've heard that Windows XP does a better job of installing on iffy HD configurations, although I don't see what's wrong with my setup.

I have a great copy of XP that auto-formats and everything, so I'll have to find that or dig up the torrent.

Failing this, what do I do? Is Vista faulty for not regognizing my HD? Is Gigabyte at fault for not providing enough support to Vista? or is it Western Digital's fault? :S

I'm beginning to feel like this will never work.
    Last edited by pepper23; 04-11-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Why don't you take your hard drive off the gigabyte sata 2 ports and move it to the intel sata ports... thats where I have mine...

Raul

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You need to create a partition is all. No drivers are needed.

But I do recommend as stated above you use the Intel controller, and if you do plan to use AHCI I do recommend you load your own new drivers from Intel instead of the Vista Generic one that will be used if you do not.

Connect your OS Hard drive to the first Yellow port labeled SATA2_0, and put your CD Drive, if SATA, on one of the last Two Yellow ports (SATA2_4/5)

Here is the settings you should use for that >>>

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Yellow Ports)
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. AHCI or IDE
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (Purple Ports)
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled If you are using them or anything on a IDE Ribbon
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Please click Drive Options (Advanced) and then choose New, create a size and apply >>>

Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-11-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information