Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Vista: Unable to find system volume that meets its criteria for installation

Unhappy Help! Vista: Unable to find system volume that meets its criteria for installation

I have a brand new 300 GB Western Digital HDD connected to the yellow SATA ports on my GA-EP45-UD3L. In the BIOS I have set SATA Mode to AHCI. I have the appropriate drivers extracted on a CD-R that I use during installation of Vista. They show up in the setup just fine.

Before selecting the drivers, Vista setup displays a message, "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." I put in my driver CD, select the drivers, then I return back to the previous screen where upon clicking next I receive the message, "Windows is unable to find a volume that meets its criterea for installation."

Some forums say that the solution is to set the partition to 'active'. I'm new to PC building, but wouldn't my HD come with only one partition and that partition set to "active"?

How do I "ensure that the disk's controller is enabled" in my BIOS? How do I know? The hard drive shows up as an IDE channel 0 master, isn't that what it means to be enabled?

Please TweakTown, I just want my new build up and running.

Default Re: Help! Vista: Unable to find system volume that meets its criteria for installatio

Hrm, you shouldnt need any sort of drivers to install Vista onto Intel AHCI SATA controller, it should just detect it when the DVD starts booting up. But, you can try putting the SATA controller in IDE mode and see if it detects it then....It may be that vista is having issues with your ODD being in AHCI mode if...thats the case...

Default Re: Help! Vista: Unable to find system volume that meets its criteria for installatio

in integrated peripherals do you have 2nd down as I pic'd enable it if you aren't doing raid
    but want ahci?

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode  [Disabled] "Only for GA-EP45-UD3LR" these notes at bottom of manual page for each selection?
    SATA AHCI Mode  [Disabled] "Only for GA-EP45-UD3L"
    Last edited by Tyreman; 04-11-2009 at 05:31 AM.
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 bios 3202
    2500k@4.7GHZ.
    CM Hyper 212 EVO blademasters push-pull
    8GB's Samsung 30nm tech ram 1.35v
    EVGA GTX 460 superclocked plus (part# 1G-P3-1372-TR)
    Seasonic X660
    Canada

I assume ODD somehow means hard drive? In IDE mode, I have the hard drive set to channel 0 master and the DVD drive set to channel 1 slave. Is that an OK setup or do I need to switch which motherboard SATA ports I am connected to?

I get the exact same problem in IDE mode, by the way except that the setup tells me that none of the drivers on my CD-R are compatible with the hardware.

Tyreman: I originally had AHCI enabled, but it's not the second option down, but the first option. The second option is SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Disabled]. Do I need to update my BIOS perhaps?

Thanks for the quick replies.

2500k@4.7GHZ.
    Seasonic X660
    Canada

The simplest way to run things is enable the sata 0-3 native in cmos, plug in the drive to I believe its the upper far right yellow(it is on mine check your pictorial diagram) and then load it up.
    ahci isn't that big a deal.
    Your sata opticals if any can then go in the far left yellows
    2500k@4.7GHZ.
    Seasonic X660
    Canada

so you're saying my motherboard doesn't support AHCI even though it shows up in the BIOS?

I tried disabling AHCI and enabling SATA port0-3 Native Mode, but I got the exact same result, only without Vista recognizing any of the SATA drivers (since I wasn't in AHCI mode).

According to Microsoft (Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that has uninitialized hard disks: "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk") I need to do the following:

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
    1. Create one or more partitions on all the hard disks that are not initialized.
    2. Restart the computer.
    3. Install Windows Vista.
    How do I create a partition? Shouldn't Vista do this during setup? When my drive is selected on that step, the partition buttons are greyed out.

How do I know if my drive is already partitioned? What does it mean for a drive to be initialized, and how do I tell?

Thanks for the help.

Uh I never said that
    I only directed you to look at the link and what was there.
    But I never had to do any fussying on my board
    just made sure native go and boom
    did you look in at the drive in bios and see what it shows as well.
    Load defaults then save exit
    You are booting off the vista dvd?

Vista in the dvd tray ready to go.
    Like you hit f12(boot menu selection)and select the rom and then it comes you press any key to load it.
    You can then select the options to format delete apportion drive size partition install os etc
    Last edited by Tyreman; 04-11-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    2500k@4.7GHZ.
    Seasonic X660
    Canada

In the BIOS:
    IDE Channel 0 Master [WDC WD5001AALS-00L3B

IDE Channel 1 Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GH22

The BIOS also correctly identified my hard drive as being 500 GB.

It still won't work, even with native.

Why would they put in an option in the BIOS if the board didn't support AHCI?
    Do you know how to partition a drive properly?
    Last edited by pepper23; 04-11-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Can't you boot from the dvd rom?
    if you boot from it then can load the os
    what won't work ?
    ahci?
    I listed the simplest way to install a post or two ago without ahci

I am not looking over your shoulder remember that.
    Last edited by Tyreman; 04-11-2009 at 09:23 AM.
    2500k@4.7GHZ.
    Seasonic X660
    Canada

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information