Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I7 920 clock 2793 without overclocking, Why?

Default Re: I7 920 clock 2793 without overclocking, Why?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterIO View Post
    About percentages, take a look at top(the program). It is like I said.
    The Linux sys interface?
    Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
    Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green
    And several other rigs...

Quote Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
    The Linux sys interface?
    No, "top" is a program. It's in all Linux distros.

No, "top" is a program. It's in all Linux distros.
    Top sounds pretty messed up then. Referring to CPU individual cores as added percentile above 100% is ridiculous and misleading, not to mention incorrect. What idiot programmed that? OOooooo, both my cores are at 100%, so I'm getting 200% performance! Not. That's so misleading, it's beyond just wrong, it's outright lying.

I doubt I would put much faith in a program that isn't even able to properly refer to CPU usage in an industry standard accepted manner. In every part of the industry I've ever been exposed to, 100% CPU usage means all cores are maxed out. The writers of TOP seem to be on something that they're not sharing ;)
    Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
    Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green

Quote Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
    Top sounds pretty messed up then. Referring to CPU individual cores as added percentile above 100% is ridiculous and misleading, not to mention incorrect. What idiot programmed that? OOooooo, both my cores are at 100%, so I'm getting 200% performance! Not. That's so misleading, it's beyond just wrong, it's outright lying.

I doubt I would put much faith in a program that isn't even able to properly refer to CPU usage in an industry standard accepted manner. In every part of the industry I've ever been exposed to, 100% CPU usage means all cores are maxed out. The writers of TOP seem to be on something that they're not sharing ;)
    Look, this was basically irrelevant to my problem, so I was going to stop the discussion there, but as you seem so full of yourself on your explanation, I'm gonna explain to you what should be really obvious, but you seem to have missed. It's really simple : there's no error. instead of considering che "system" load percentage(1 system, 0-100%), they just just gave (0-100) to every core, so the system goes from 0 to 400. So 100% is like 25%. That's just probably a very simple way to be portable from single processor systems to smp systems. There's no problem and it's not misleading, because in both cases you get a picture of the system load. Don't worry, the programmers of top(a program used worldwide) are better than you for sure!

Look, this was basically irrelevant to my problem, so I was going to stop the discussion there, but as you seem so full of yourself on your explanation, I'm gonna explain to you what should be really obvious, but you seem to have missed. It's really simple : there's no error. instead of considering che "system" load percentage(1 system, 0-100%), they just just gave (0-100) to every core, so the system goes from 0 to 400. So 100% is like 25%. That's just probably a very simple way to be portable from single processor systems to smp systems. There's no problem and it's not misleading, because in both cases you get a picture of the system load. Don't worry, the programmers of top(a program used worldwide) are better than you for sure!
    Full of myself? I'm not the one making ignorant assumptions. I'm simply stating that I was caught off guard to your non-standard reference to CPU usage and that the program that is telling it like that is as retarded as it's writers and strikes me as similar to the folks who tried to sell dual CPU systems back in day as double the clock speed. That doesn't sound portable, it sounds like mental masturbation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information