Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I7 920 clock 2793 without overclocking, Why?

Default I7 920 clock 2793 without overclocking, Why?

I've got an I7 920 on a EX58-UD5. There's something strange that has happened to me with every bios, from 3 to 6. I've never set any overclocking option in the bios, so my theorical clock has always been 133*20=2660. The problem is that I've always got 2793 as the real clock. So I've got as available frequencies this list (2793000 2660000 2527000 2394000 2261000 2128000 1995000 1862000 1729000 1596000). It's from some time now that I limit the clock to 2660000 through the sys interface(in Linux) for overheating problems, but I'd like to know what's causing this anomaly.

Default Re: I7 920 clock 2793 without overclocking, Why?

I7s have a turbo mode which is on by default, if you look in in advanced cpu features in your bios you can either enable or disable it. Mine seems to run at 21x which is the standard turbo mode speed for a i7 920. To find out more about this mode just put i7 920 turbo mode in google, or someone may give further info on this thread for you.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

^^ Yeap ^^

It is here in the MIT Section under CPU clock ratio >>>

Advanced CPU Features:
    CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20x]
    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled] << Disable

Thanks. I saw it while configuring my bios, but the manual didn't explain anything about it, so I didn't know what was its purpose. Now that I know, I'll probably disable it.

Hi,
    I would like to overclock my i7 920 to around 3,6-3,8 Mhz. Should I follow general rulez or every case is different? I am reading a lot of articles and most of them differs slightly. My motherboard is gigabyte ud5, memory - patriot viper 1600 low latency 8-8-8-24 1600 Mhz.
    Could you give any suggestions how it would be best to set settings in bios?

thanks,
    henryk

Quote Originally Posted by MisterIO View Post
    Thanks. I saw it while configuring my bios, but the manual didn't explain anything about it, so I didn't know what was its purpose. Now that I know, I'll probably disable it.
    If your running at stock speed, there's no reason in the world to turn Turbo mode off. It's free speed that Intel garuntees to be as stable as as it would be with it off. You should only be turning Turbo mode off on extreme overclocks. But even then, Turbo is generally thought of as so stable that some people actually use it to push their OC further then they could without it.

If your going to disable anything, some people have an aversion to Hyperthreading. I'm not one of them though and suggest against that as well unless you know a specific app of yours that is anti-HT functional (as in, it loses performance when HT enabled).
    Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
    Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green
    And several other rigs...

Quote Originally Posted by hgg View Post
    Hi,
    I would like to overclock my i7 920 to around 3,6-3,8 Mhz. Should I follow general rulez or every case is different? I am reading a lot of articles and most of them differs slightly. My motherboard is gigabyte ud5, memory - patriot viper 1600 low latency 8-8-8-24 1600 Mhz.
    Could you give any suggestions how it would be best to set settings in bios?

thanks,
    henryk
    Follow the general rules for such a low overclock target. Watch your core voltage, QPI speed and voltage, and memory speed and voltage, and you'll be fine. Things that can be disabled for a higher OC are Turbo, HT, and C states. I recommend against disabling any of those if you can avoid it though. In fact, some people use Turbo to push their OC further. HT can affect OC stability at higher speeds, but at 3.6-3.8 it shouldn't be a problem to keep it on. I'd also leave C states enabled as well since they can dynamically shut off cores that are not in use, saving power.
    Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
    Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green

Quote Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
    If your running at stock speed, there's no reason in the world to turn Turbo mode off. It's free speed that Intel garuntees to be as stable as as it would be with it off. You should only be turning Turbo mode off on extreme overclocks. But even then, Turbo is generally thought of as so stable that some people actually use it to push their OC further then they could without it.

If your going to disable anything, some people have an aversion to Hyperthreading. I'm not one of them though and suggest against that as well unless you know a specific app of yours that is anti-HT functional (as in, it loses performance when HT enabled).
    The only reason why I will _maybe_ disable the turbo mode is because at 2793 my cpu heats up too much. The constant cpu temperature when I limit the clock to 2660 through sysfs, under a load of ~150%(it's a quad core, so the load goes from 0 to 400) is 48-50. If I take off the limitation, the temperature goes up to 60-70 under a similar constant load. I'm not too interested in that little overclocking, so the only thing that remains is that ~10 higher constant cpu temperature, that on the long run may matter. About the HT, the only problem I know about it is that I heard there were some security problems related to leaked informations, but maybe now they're solved? I don't know. By the way, does anybody know what to do to clean the heatsink from dust?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterIO View Post
    The only reason why I will _maybe_ disable the turbo mode is because at 2793 my cpu heats up too much. The constant cpu temperature when I limit the clock to 2660 through sysfs, under a load of ~150%(it's a quad core, so the load goes from 0 to 400) is 48-50. If I take off the limitation, the temperature goes up to 60-70 under a similar constant load. I'm not too interested in that little overclocking, so the only thing that remains is that ~10 higher constant cpu temperature, that on the long run may matter. About the HT, the only problem I know about it is that I heard there were some security problems related to leaked informations, but maybe now they're solved? I don't know. By the way, does anybody know what to do to clean the heatsink from dust?
    Nope. That 10C difference at stock speed will make no difference in the long term survival of the CPU. It's rated up to 100C for the tjunction temp before it begins throttling itself, your WAY below that still. Also, you may look at the CPU mounting and redo it. If temps are that high at stock, something is amiss.

Keep in mind, I'm using stock cooling, and am overclocked to 3.6Ghz. Idle temps in the mid 40's, full maxed out load hits 80C. But, because it's hard to fully load up 4 cores plus 4 virtual cores (HT), I rarely see temps over 60C. Also, I'm getting away with this OC on sub-stock vcore voltage. I just got a good chip ;)

And no, you don't count load as 400%, hehehe. Full load on a quad core is still, only 100%. More cores means more dividers. You never stack cores in percentages. If you have a single core CPU that is maxed out, it's at 100%. If you have a dual core CPU maxed out, it's at 100%, and if you have a 16 core CPU maxed out, it's still, just 100%. Each core only counts on it's own when compared to itself, not against the rest of the CPU. When talking whole CPU activity, 100% is maximum.

Example: A quad core CPU has one core fully busy, one core half busy, and the other 2 cores idle. Does that equal 150%? No, it equals around 30-35% since the whole CPU isn't busy, just a some of it's cores. A quad core with only one busy core and 3 idle cores is only 25% activity.

Quote Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
    Nope. That 10C difference at stock speed will make no difference in the long term survival of the CPU. It's rated up to 100C for the tjunction temp before it begins throttling itself, your WAY below that still. Also, you may look at the CPU mounting and redo it. If temps are that high at stock, something is amiss.

Keep in mind, I'm using stock cooling, and am overclocked to 3.6Ghz. Idle temps in the mid 40's, full maxed out load hits 80C. But, because it's hard to fully load up 4 cores plus 4 virtual cores (HT), I rarely see temps over 60C. Also, I'm getting away with this OC on sub-stock vcore voltage. I just got a good chip ;)

And no, you don't count load as 400%, hehehe. Full load on a quad core is still, only 100%. More cores means more dividers. You never stack cores in percentages. If you have a single core CPU that is maxed out, it's at 100%. If you have a dual core CPU maxed out, it's at 100%, and if you have a 16 core CPU maxed out, it's still, just 100%. Each core only counts on it's own when compared to itself, not against the rest of the CPU. When talking whole CPU activity, 100% is maximum.

Example: A quad core CPU has one core fully busy, one core half busy, and the other 2 cores idle. Does that equal 150%? No, it equals around 30-35% since the whole CPU isn't busy, just a some of it's cores. A quad core with only one busy core and 3 idle cores is only 25% activity.
    About percentages, take a look at top(the program). It is like I said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information