Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: First Post

Default First Post

Hello everybody, this is my first post but not my last I am sure. I have been reading the forum for awhile and I have to say the level of help expertise shown here and the lack of sarcasm is refreshing!! I have built a couple of systems on the Evga 680i and 750i platforms and this is my first try with Gigabyte. I am building a system for me using an Intel Q8300 (see Sig) and one for my son on an AMD platform using a Gigabyte board also. I like to tinker and both builds will be OC'd. This is my first build using Vista 64 after years on XP pro. My question is this:

I have noticed that many of the members here mention at various times that you should or should not have a certain Vista operation checked or you should tweak it as such..... Is there anyway you guys could point me in the right direction as to which Vista 64 options I want on or off and any tweaks you suggest?

Thanks in advance , I am looking forward to being part of the community!
    Last edited by tamu80; 04-13-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UDL3 Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz CPU
    Thermaltake CL-C0034 Extreme Spirit II (NB)
    VIZO-NBC-101-CPR Copper Sleet Cooler (SB)
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
    OCZ StealthXStream 700W PSU
    Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 VC
    SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Case
    Antec 120mm Case Fans (x3)
    Antec 140mm Case Fan
    WD Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/
    Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
    Widows Vista Home Premium SP1 64 Bit

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: First Post

Wave:

Im not sure which options you mean on vista.
    Is it for bios settings?
    Vista 64 will at least enable you to use all your physical ram and "readyboost" from a usb memory stick.
    In general other than that I find vista takes awhile to "learn" a new overclock setting.
    On initial boot there is lots of hdd and processor activity activity but that reduces over time and over reboots.
    I have only used SP1,apparently versions up to that "sucked big ,donkeys dangly bits".
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thread Information