Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Few Questions about my EP45

Default Few Questions about my EP45

I need a few answers to three questions that I have regarding upgrading my system, which uses a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. I have tried searches and have not been satisfied with the answers I found.

1) If SLi and Crossfire are both achieved via a hard bridge attached to the tops of the cards, why can't I do SLi on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3P? I assume that it has something to do with the northbridge.... but would like a more illuminating answer. I did find one post regarding this and using 3rd party chipset drivers that were buggy and was wondering if there was any new information regarding that?

1b) If I were to add another nVidia GPU, say a GTX295, but not in SLI, can I use my other existing GPU (9800GT) just for Physics on my EP45? This begs the question, if I were to purchase an ATI 4870x2 as my primary GPU, can I use my 9800GT for physics?

2) If I were to replace my CPU (E8400) with something nicer, a Q9550 say, would I have to do anything other than just swapping the chip? I run Gigabyte's ET6 and think that I would have to uninstall and reinstall that, but anything else?

3) This is a version of #2, if I replaced my motherboard with a 780i(because I want to stick with nVidia and can't SLi on my board), would I have to reinstall my OS(Vista 64)? Would there be any other changes that I am not thinking of?

Thank you for reading this post.

gtf

Reggie is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Few Questions about my EP45

1) The SLI compliant motherboards use the NVIDIA SLI chipset. The GA-EP45-UD3P doesn't have an NVIDIA SLI chipset.

1b) You can add a 9800GT as a dedicated PhysX card. ATI 4870x2 doesn't use NVIDIA drivers, so it doesn't meet the NVIDIA PhysX requirements.

2) There would be some changes to adjust the Bios settings if you swap chips.

3) A clean install would be best if you install a different motherboard. In other Microsoft operating systems a repair the selected Windows installation was possible. This doesn't work in Vista.
    How to replace the motherboard on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

You can add a 9800GT as a dedicated PhysX card. ATI 4870x2 doesn't use NVIDIA drivers, so it doesn't meet the NVIDIA PhysX requirements.
    I know that ATI doesn't have Physx. I mean, can I use the ATI or a better nVidia card as my primary GPU and keep my 9800 just for the Physx properties. Not in an SLI configuration... although, if i bought a better nVidia card, I would'nt need to keep the 9800 for Physx, lol... but you get my point.

I haven't yet had a good answer to question 1b. I really am curious...

If I got a 4870x2 (I know I would need a better PSU, btw.) could I put it in the PCI2.0x16 slot and put my 9800GT in the second PCI2.0 slot just for the Physx engine? I understand that its not THAT important today to have Physx, but.... I would like to make use of what I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex St. John
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

I do not believe you can mix ATI and Nvidia cards. They won't play nice together. The OS will load one set of vid drivers, not two.

I moved from a P35 to EP 45 board without another install. I removed all drivers and used the reveal hidden uninstalled devices after the system booted up. All is well. What you are proposing is a much more drastic change, and will probably have huge issues.
    i7 3770K, 47X100= 4.7GHz at 1.33V, ASROCK Z77 Extreme4, 2 X 4GB Patriot Viper Black Maba DDR3 1600, GTX 590, 2 X Corsair Force 3 120GB SSDs in RAID 0, Barracuda SATA 7200.10 500GB, Barracuda SATA 7200.11 1000GB Back Ups, OCZ ZX 1250W, Z-5500s, LG Blu Ray Player/DVD Burner, Koolance CTR-CD12 Fan/Pump Controller, Windows 7 X64 Professional, HAF X. Vision Quest 24" WS LCD, Optoma H66 Projector
    Cooling: Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/XSPC Res top, Apogee Xt Extreme, XSPC Razor, Coolgate CG-240 Swiftech Helix in push/pull, MCP35X.

Thread Information