Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P - BSOD occasionally on reboot

Default GA-EP45-UD3P - BSOD occasionally on reboot

It's been quite a few years since my last build, but decided to build a new system to stream media around household. Here's the setup:

Case: Antec Nine Hundred
    Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
    CPU Cooler: Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
    Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240pPin DDr2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) (2 sets for a total of 8GB)
    Video Card: EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM (2 running in a Raid 1 mirror array)
    Media Reader: Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Card Reader w/ 3 ports USB2.0 Hub / eSATA port - Retail
    DVD Burner: Sony Sata 81xx (removed from old system)
    LCD Monitor: Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for system Builders - OEM

Changed BIOS settings:
    Set date and time
    Removed floppy drive
    Enabled RAID for Gigabyte Sata2 chipset and mirrored 1 TB array

I left all other settings at their default values. Copied G-SATA2 driver to USB key and installed windows. Everything seemed to be functioning correctly at that point. Started installing drivers from DVD that came with motherboard. Chose Express Install and told it to install all drivers. It rebooted after installing drivers a number of times. After all drivers had finished installing, I rebooted at which point I got the BSOD. I rebooted into safe mode and used system restore to get back to the point before installing any drivers. I then rebooted and started installing the drivers again. This time I chose to install each driver individually and reboot after each driver was installed. I started from bottom to top and installed each of the drivers successfully until I got to the dynamic energy saver. After installing and rebooting I got the BSOD again. Rebooted to safe mode and recovered to the point before installing dynamic energy saver. Rebooted cleanly. Rebooted several more times to be sure and sometimes it would boot cleanly and sometimes I would get the BSOD. At that point I just shut it down for the night.

So I guess my questions are could the dynamic energy saver be incompatible with some of the components I have chosen? The fact that I still got a random BOSD on reboot seems to imply that there is another issue. Are there other BIOS setting I need to change (specifically in regards to memory voltage settings)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P - BSOD occasionally on reboot

first of all, don't use the dvd drivers. they are outdated. use the drivers and the bios found on the gigabyte website. i suggest you install everything you can from vista programs list and download all the drivers and the latest bios from the site. flash the latest bios IF YOU DON"T ALREADY HAVE IT and then install the new drivers and see if that helps.

when is it rebooting? before windows loads (ie black screen)? or after windows loads?

also just so you know, if its rebooting before windows check your ram and cpu settings. set the ram to 2.0 B multiplier for stability and give it 2.1 v.

if its after, i still wouldn't say driver issue. windows tends to just ignore bad drivers. but that's still a possibility.
    Last edited by Sunburn74; 04-15-2009 at 06:25 AM.

Thanks for the reply Sunburn74.

I do have the latest F8 version of the BIOS. The new computer is not in the same room as the router yet (no internet), but I'll check all the other drivers and download them from the website and install from USB key.

It was rebooting on the screen with Microsoft Corporation at bottom and progress bar above that moving left to right.

Looked in BIOS but didn't see multiplier for RAM. Under MB intelligent Tweaker Memory Frequency (Mhz) shows as 1066, timing as 5 5 5 15 and voltage is set to Auto. Under PC Health Status, voltages show as Vcore 1.268V, DDR18V 2.080V, +3.3V 3.296V and + 12V 12.175V. I'm assuming the DDR18V is the memory voltage and it is in the proper range for my memory (2.0 - 2.1v)?

I installed two of the utilities from the DVD tonight and then installed the Video card drivers. Then rebooted back to windows and decided to just let it run for a while. At some point the computer powered down and turned itself off. Probably not a good sign?

actually the problem is much simpler. you probably chose AHCI for your sata storage settings.

however with vista you have to enable the ahci driver first or else you get a bsod as it tries to load vista.

the solution at this point, is to set the storage to ide initially and launch vista successfully (you should be able to). then follow these directions

Error message when you start a Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

I may be wrong, but i do believe that is exactly your problem especially if the reboot is right at the start of the black loading screen (like 1 sec into it)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Is there a reason why you chose the Gigabyte controller to use for you OS? You should use the Intel one, it is much faster.

I do agree with Sunburn74, don't use the driver CD, grab them all from Gigabyte's site >>>
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...bit)#anchor_os

And you do not need to install all drivers, only the ones for what you want to use. Express Install off the CD is terrible, aside from old drivers, it will install ALL Drivers and that can mess up disks by loading both sets of RAID/AHCI Drivers when only one may be needed.

If the above info does not help, let me know and I will offer some further advice
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-15-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Sunburn74,

I made the registry change you suggested. I changed the value from 4 to 0. Not sure why I would get BSOD randomly if this was the cause though.

I guess I'm not used to the power saving features of Vista or the Gigabyte boards. All lights and fans appeared to be off and mouse and keyboard would not wake up computer. After hitting power button to turn on computer, it immediately woke up and I was back in Windows. I'm assuming if I'm downloading for extended periods of time, the hard drive activitiy will not let the computer go into sleep mode? Also since this is a machine I'm using to stream media, I'm assuming activity on the ethernet port will also wake up the computer?

Lsdmeasap,

Reading the Gigabyte manual during installation, I understood that both sets of SATA ports run at the same top speed of 3Gb/s. The only difference being that the ICH10R controller could do RAID 5 and RAID 10 configurations that I was not interested in. At that point to me it just became a cable management decision, so I chose to plug the hard drives into the purple GSATA 2 connectors and the other SATA devices into the ICH10R connectors to keep them separate.

Is there something speed/performance wise that the manual does not mention? In the BIOS under Integrated Peripherals I have the following settings:

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [Disabled]
    SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode [Disabled]
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device [Enabled]
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode [Raid/IDE]

Are all of these settings correct for my setup?

Lsdmeasap,

Doing some searching on the web seems to point to your statement that I will get poorer HDD performance using the Gigabyte controller as opposed to the Intel controller. Since better performance is something I was looking for in this new setup, I definitely want to change it up. Since I've already setup the RAID array for the Gigabyte controller and installed the OS, what are the steps I need to do to set up the RAID array on the Intel controller?

Here are the steps I'm thinking of. Let me know if I'm missing something or should be doing something in a different order.

01. Reboot and press Ctrl-G to enter RAID setup utility
    02. Delete RAID array
    03. Exit and save settings
    04. Power off computer
    05. Switch SATA cables from Gigabyte controller to Intel controller (Is there an optimum placement as far as which SATA ports (0-5) to use? I'll be connecting two HDDs in a RAID 1 array, a SATA DVD Burner and a SATA media reader.)
    06. Power up computer and enter BIOS
    07. Under Integrated Peripherals, change SATA RAID/AHCI Mode from [Disabled] to [RAID], leave SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Disabled], leave Onboard SATA/IDE Device [Enabled] and change Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode from [RAID/IDE] back to [IDE]
    08. Exit and save settings
    09. Press CTRL-I to enter Configuration Utility
    10. Create RAID Volume
    11. Exit and save settings
    12. Download Intel ICH9R/ICH10R Driver (Preinstall driver) and extract to USB drive
    13. Load OS
    14. Download and install SATA RAID (Intel ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID Driver), Chipset (Intel INF installation) and Audio (Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip) drivers from website instead of DVD

Anything else before installing applications and data? Suggested utilities for testing setup?

Again any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by LazyDawg; 04-17-2009 at 04:43 AM.

Thread Information