Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: My first build:UDR3/Q9550 what now?

Default My first build:UD3R/Q9550 what now?

Hi folks. I just joined, and I'm a complete noob. I just put the rig together and turned it on, and it seems like everything is working just fine: I'm THRILLED (esp. after seeing so many people having problems with ram etc.).
    But... What should I do now? I can't really find any info. Do I do a burn-in, mem-test, stress-test? What bios settings should I have to safe-guard the rig? I turned on the CPU fan-fail warning and the cpu warning temp (70c). Right now the cores are 30, 34,34,38.
    I installed cpuid and speedfan, are there other utils that are necessary/helpful?
    I know this is a lot of questions, but I've been researching and most "Building a PC" threads end with plugging in power cables.
    Here are the specs:

Gigabyte GA_EP45-UD3R P45 775r
    Intel Q9550 @2.83 (e0)
    msi GTX260+ OCV2 (216 cores)
    GSkill 2Gx2 f2-8500cl5d-4gbpk
    Asus arctic square cooler w/arctic silver 5 thermal paste
    windows XP sp3
    WD 640g HD
    Rosewill 600watt PSU

Thanks in adavance for any help!
    Last edited by climber; 04-16-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Default Re: My first build:UDR3/Q9550 what now?

Also I'm running f5 bios. Should I flash 7? or only if I'm having problems. I know I'm asking a lot... If any of this is on a thread or sticky somewhere, please post a link.
    Thanks again.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I always run the latest Final BIOS or the latest Beta. Or a favorite I have, but since you just built then you do not have a "Favorite" yet so I suggest the latest Final or Beta up to you.

I do suggest you do not use @BIOS to flash, use Qflash. Here is a guide on that I wrote up >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Here are your final BIOS's (F8) >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.0)

And here are the latest Beta's >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

Stock setup should be fine and pass all tests but you will have to set your ram voltage manually to spec and maybe add some MCH Core voltage for 4GB of ram.

Here is our page of hosted links for benchmarks and stability tools >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/

I use Orthos and Memtest86+ myself, but it is all up to you how you test for stability

thanks for getting me started

I like OCCT for stability testing. It automatically generates a log/graph during the test, it's easy to use, and has quite a few different settings for targeting different components to stress.

Download - OCCT Website english

I would then try running some games that stress your system out before trying to overclock it. This will tell you if there are any problems not related to overclocking. Then read some of the posts here about other peoples successful overclocks, and that should give you some idea of what performance you might be able to expect from overclock your components, and which settings to use in your bios.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by climber View Post
    thanks for getting me started
    Anytime, post back if you need any help with things, or would like some more input on something

Thread Information